Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    It's just another job. You could say that hiring people to be cleaners is exploitation because they don't really choose it- they just do it out of the need to make money. No one really has a choice in life- you gotta do what you need to in order to survive. Seriously, it's better to have it legal where we can at least regulate it and make sure it's safe, and we can actually reduce exploitation by guaranteeing the right of women who want to stop being a prostitute to leave the industry. If a grown woman (let's disregard male prostitutes for now) wants to work such a job, that's her pregorative. She's not so weak and frail that she can't make her own decisions.

I'm in support of legalising prostitution obviously, so that would include this sex workers for the disabled thing.
    I agree with you. Of course, it isn't a perfect solution, but it's perhaps the least worst option.

There would undoubtedly be exploitation, but your example of hiring a cleaner shows that exploitation exists in much working life, as you say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    It's just another job. You could say that hiring people to be cleaners is exploitation because they don't really choose it- they just do it out of the need to make money. No one really has a choice in life- you gotta do what you need to in order to survive. Seriously, it's better to have it legal where we can at least regulate it and make sure it's safe, and we can actually reduce exploitation by guaranteeing the right of women who want to stop being a prostitute to leave the industry. If a grown woman (let's disregard male prostitutes for now) wants to work such a job, that's her pregorative. She's not so weak and frail that she can't make her own decisions.

I'm in support of legalising prostitution obviously, so that would include this sex workers for the disabled thing.
    The vast majority of prostitutes are on hard drugs, or have been repeatedly raped, or were sexually or physically abused as children, have been homeless, or want to leave prostitution. There are statistics repeatedly proving this. I find it very, very difficult to believe that an informed, independent choice to enter prostitution is anything but a rarity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    It's not shocking at all. Most prostitutes either literally have no choice or may as well not have a choice- are trafficked or forced by pimps or drug addictions, and are mistreated. The men who pay for sex know this, and still fund it. Rape is a terrible crime, and paying for sex isn't on the same level, but it's still crap.
    I was talking about the legal prostitution. Exactly how it should be. Then there would be no trafiking or pimps being funded.

I have the same views about drugs aswell. Some drugs mind, nothing like meth, ketamine, or heroin...

ReputationRep:
    Another interesting article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...lth.socialcare

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    I was talking about the legal prostitution. Exactly how it should be. Then there would be no trafiking or pimps being funded.

I have the same views about drugs aswell. Some drugs mind, nothing like meth, ketamine, or heroin...
    I'm at a loss as to why, when saying 'you shouldn't compare rapists to people who use prostitutes' (or something similar), you claim you were just talking about legal prostitution, since the person you were replying to obviously wasn't, and prostitution isn't legal in this country.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at a loss as to why, when saying 'you shouldn't compare rapists to people who use prostitutes' (or something similar), you claim you were just talking about legal prostitution, since the person you were replying to obviously wasn't, and prostitution isn't legal in this country.
    Because they were against legalising prostitution, implying that when they say paying for sex is as bad as rape they mean in ANY situation.

If they felt that paying for sex was bad because of the pimps etc then they would be PRO legalisation.
    Unless they want to get rid of it altogether, illegal and legal, in which case Im guessing thier plan would be to ask the pimps nicely...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    For every Jenna Jameson making her millions, or pole dancer who decides to “work” her way through a degree, there are thousands of women trafficked into the UK alone every year and forced to become masseuses, lap dancers, prostitutes etc. Same for men I guess, though on a far lesser scale. Commodifying any human being in this way shouldn't be a societal norm in my opinion, as it filters down into everyday life. For example, there are women who withhold sex from their partners if they don't pay for dinner, men who expect sex on a first date because they paid for the woman's dinner, teenage girls who want to "be like Jordan" when they grow up and so on.

However, putting aside the "prostitution - right or wrong?" debate, this topic raises interesting questions for me on the way we as a society think about disabled people and sexuality. Many people think about disabled people and sex the same way they think about their parents and sex: it probably happens but we'd prefer to put it to the back of our minds and not discuss it, thank you muchly. Has anyone able-bodied ever been caught short and used the disabled loos because the queue for the ladies' or gents' is too long (wrong I know, but a better option than peeing oneself)? Besides the cubicle being bigger, having an orange cord to pull in emergencies, and handrails on the walls, there's sometimes another difference to "regular" loos - there's no condom or sanitary product machine. Why not?

Many disabled people have the same personalities, ambitions and hobbies as able-bodied people, ergo they experience the same sexual desires and need a way to fulfil them. We don't discriminate against disabled people in the workplace or in education, so society should be more open-minded and not discriminate against the way disabled people experss their sexuality.

Have a read of these two articles if you want more "food for thought" on this topic. One was written in 2001, the other in 2009 - the times they aren't a-changing...
    http://www.communitycare.co.uk/Artic...ire-denied.htm
    http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l...cle6912760.ece

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    Because they were against legalising prostitution, implying that when they say paying for sex is as bad as rape they mean in ANY situation.

If they felt that paying for sex was bad because of the pimps etc then they would be PRO legalisation.
    Unless they want to get rid of it altogether, illegal and legal, in which case Im guessing thier plan would be to ask the pimps nicely...
    Why is it a legalisation issue? I think that someone paying for sex is terrible, as it stands in this country. It doesn't matter whether I'm pro legalisation or not- someone who supports the prostitution industry is crap, because the industry is so terrible.

God, this is the most pointless thread ever.

Why do people feel the need to have opinions on matters that have zero effect on their lives?

ReputationRep:
    Why is it a legalisation issue? I think that someone paying for sex is terrible, as it stands in this country. It doesn't matter whether I'm pro legalisation or not- someone who supports the prostitution industry is crap, because the industry is so terrible.
    Its all in opinion.
    I was just replying to your confusion on what I said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortysixandtwo)
    God, this is the most pointless thread ever.

Why do people feel the need to have opinions on matters that have zero effect on their lives?
    You're assuming that we're not disabled/sex workers. :hubba: Besides, any one of us could become disabled at any point. That said, people should care about things that affect others.

I've learnt a lot from our debate and the two articles attached by jellybeanjen.

(Original post by jismith1989)
    You're assuming that we're not disabled/sex workers. :hubba: Besides, people should care about things that affect others.
    Yup, I was going out on a limb with that one :p: .

ReputationRep:
    I think, regarding this, it's safe to say you're definitely the one with the issue. Ignoring someone who is rude to you isn't 'stuck up', what a silly accusation. In fact I still don't really have any time for you if you're just going to ***** about me not paying attention to you. I don't actually have time for anyone who admits to lying about themselves on their profile. l8rz.
    Lol and you accuse me of being a troll.

What a sad simple life you must lead if you seem to act that putting college on my profile makes me a liar so you had to look for something to ***** about me.

I would love to see how far you get in life as by the way you act I doubt it will be far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MittenKrust)
    Lol and you accuse me of being a troll.

What a sad simple life you must lead if you seem to act that putting college on my profile makes me a liar so you had to look for something to ***** about me.

I would love to see how far you get in life as by the way you act I doubt it will be far.
    STOP IT!!

ReputationRep:
    STOP IT!!
    Sorry mate I just feel like she is attacking me, I mean she is always trying to start something.

If she doesnt reply again then I wont reply back to her lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MittenKrust)
    Sorry mate I just feel like she is attacking me, I mean she is always trying to start something.

If she doesnt reply again then I wont reply back to her lol.
    If you keep attacking her, she'll keep attaking you, and vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    If you keep attacking her, she'll keep attaking you, and vice versa.
    Well I just got a warning and the mod said we should of taken petty arguments to pm.

Thats probably the worst part lol

(Original post by Earthly)
    I strongly disaprove. Don't get me wrong, i feel sorry for the disabled people who arn't getting any, but i hate the idea of prostitution, women should not have to do that kind of work.
    How arrogant you must be to assume that these poor little women couldn't possibly make a free choice to do something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    How arrogant you must be to assume that these poor little women couldn't possibly make a free choice to do something.
    How arrogant you must be to assume that there is no level of coercion.

ReputationRep:
    I think thats....illegal

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.