Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey Steph66, sorry to hear you didn't get through to the AC, were they able to tell you why at all or was it a standard email? I applied for the HR summer scheme and was told they'd be having the ACs in the beginning of March and I'd hear back the end of this month, starting to get nervous now, hopefully I hear something this week!

ReputationRep:
    Ive been given 2 weeks notice for the buying placement AC.
    Iv had a lot of purchasing experience before (F1 racing and airlines) but zero retail experience.
    My A Level results and the university I attend are quite poor. So no idea what their looking for. Its hard to tell. Some companies are obviously interested, others won't give me the time of day.
    Just going to prepare as best I can.
    Good luck everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steph66)
    Just got an email saying I didnt get through to the summer scheme buying AC anyone else hear anything? Would be interested to know what kind of thing they are looking for to get through.
    At least I don't have to spend money on a eurostar now anyway!
    I got the same email... My skills may have been a match but there were better matched people. At least I wasn't the only one! Do you have anything else lined up?

ReputationRep:
    Well done mloader83 for getting a place on the AC, let us know how it goes! well i dont have any buying experience but i have quite a lot of retail experience so obviously they want someone with relevant buying experience.

Im hoping to find something with John Lewis as I work for Waitrose, hoping someone might take pity on me and help me out with getting some buying experience so I can actually be successful in applying for buying schemes!

have u got anything else lined up hmjessop?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steph66)
    Well done mloader83 for getting a place on the AC, let us know how it goes! well i dont have any buying experience but i have quite a lot of retail experience so obviously they want someone with relevant buying experience.

Im hoping to find something with John Lewis as I work for Waitrose, hoping someone might take pity on me and help me out with getting some buying experience so I can actually be successful in applying for buying schemes!

have u got anything else lined up hmjessop?
    Yes, well done mloader83! I'm going to be doing the same as you - looking for buying experience. Where have all these successful applicants got it from already??

ReputationRep:
    I am a mature student so had time to work my way up from a junior position in supply chain to the buying department. In a small purchasing department a lot of pressure is on the junior/assistant buyer, who has the responsibility of keeping production going by controlling the supply of hundreds of products from dozens of suppliers, so understandably employers are usually after some experience. If you can find a company with large a purchasing department there should be more opportunities. There are supply chain specific recruitment websites and agencies who may be able to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mloader83)
    I am a mature student so had time to work my way up from a junior position in supply chain to the buying department. In a small purchasing department a lot of pressure is on the junior/assistant buyer, who has the responsibility of keeping production going by controlling the supply of hundreds of products from dozens of suppliers, so understandably employers are usually after some experience. If you can find a company with large a purchasing department there should be more opportunities. There are supply chain specific recruitment websites and agencies who may be able to help.
    Do you think they are only looking for people with a previous job in buying/supply chain? I'm looking at doing some work experience in a supermarket buying department - do you think that would be enough?

ReputationRep:
    Having seen what friends and other students are going through on my course it looks like my extra work experience has played a major part in any successes I have had while looking for placements. Having said that I think if you can demonstrate competence in a companies leadership qualities and an understanding of their core values, with examples from p/t jobs and extra curricular activities I think that helps.
    If you have found work experience in a buying department, thats great. Be bold and make contacts that will come in handy for future references etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.