The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Yes, it's normal to be able to feel your cervix. When you are aroused, it moves as your vaginal opens out and might be out of reach then.

I don't know about the strings.
Reply 2
It is possible but highly unlikely that your boyfriend would feel the strings - it won't hurt him though and shouldn't cause any serious discomfort. They're tiny and quite flimsy and delicate. However, if he really dislikes it or feels them very frequently you can get them trimmed by your GP/nurse.
Reply 3
Sorry to be rubbish and not answer your question at all, but what made you choose a coil rather than the other long acting reversible contraceptives? Aren't they usually more geared towards women who have had kids? Just curious as I'm looking into different forms of contraception!
Reply 4
Chez87
Sorry to be rubbish and not answer your question at all, but what made you choose a coil rather than the other long acting reversible contraceptives? Aren't they usually more geared towards women who have had kids? Just curious as I'm looking into different forms of contraception!

hey, I know this was directed at the OP, but personally I hated the side-effects of all the hormonal contraceptive methods. They just didn't jive. There are almost no side-effects with a coil, and once it's in it's good for 10 years unless you want it removed. So yeah, convenience and no constant PMS-like symptoms! If you haven't had children it is just more uncomfortable on insertion, but nothing unbearable.
Reply 5
ghostboobs
hey, I know this was directed at the OP, but personally I hated the side-effects of all the hormonal contraceptive methods. They just didn't jive. There are almost no side-effects with a coil, and once it's in it's good for 10 years unless you want it removed. So yeah, convenience and no constant PMS-like symptoms! If you haven't had children it is just more uncomfortable on insertion, but nothing unbearable.

Thank you :smile: I really don't seem to get on well with hormonal contraceptives either...think they really mess with my moods, thats the main thing anyway. What about side effects like bleeding? Do you get normal periods and stuff? SORRY OP FOR HIJACKING!
Reply 6
Chez87
Thank you :smile: I really don't seem to get on well with hormonal contraceptives either...think they really mess with my moods, thats the main thing anyway. What about side effects like bleeding? Do you get normal periods and stuff? SORRY OP FOR HIJACKING!

Yeah sorry OP! :smile: For the first couple of months your periods will probably be heavier and longer than usual and then they should return to normal. You might experience some light spotting; but again, only for the first couple of months whilst your body gets used to it. My side-effects have been virtually nil but like all other contraceptive methods it varies from person-to-person. I would totally recommend a coil if the mood-swings of hormonal methods are bothering you!
Hey I chose to get the mirena because I've been having headaches whilst on Cerazette and the nurses at my family planning clinic wouldn't let me go on the implant. They're driving me mad. They told me to come off the pill for a month to see if the headaches stop. I've been off it for three weeks and there's no change to my headaches. The doctor has already told me that the headaches are typical tension headaches caused by stress and that it isn't because of my contraception.
But Brook won't listen! I'm on my period now and they told me that they won't fit it unless I'm on my period. But they don't want to fit it until I've been off the pill for a month. So basically I can't have it until my next period, a month away. I know that they are just trying to make sure that I'm healthy but still it's getting annoying. I'm sick of condoms as I absolutely hate them and don't trust them. But it's like they're trying to get around giving me the coil. It's like they want me to end up pregnant!
Does anyone know if you HAVE to have it fitted whilst you are on your period? xx
Reply 8
bittersweetxsymphony

Does anyone know if you HAVE to have it fitted whilst you are on your period? xx

Not necessarily. The initial consultation nurse said that yes, you do. It causes less discomfort because the cervix is more relaxed.

My FPA Clinic only fit them on Tuesdays so my appointment landed just after the time of the month, but when I got in there the doctor said it didn't matter. Conflicting info! It was a relief though; avoided potential messiness and we didn't have to use condoms for another 6 weeks.

There's no harm in asking! :dontknow:
ghostboobs
Not necessarily. The initial consultation nurse said that yes, you do. It causes less discomfort because the cervix is more relaxed.

My FPA Clinic only fit them on Tuesdays so my appointment landed just after the time of the month, but when I got in there the doctor said it didn't matter. Conflicting info! It was a relief though; avoided potential messiness and we didn't have to use condoms for another 6 weeks.

There's no harm in asking! :dontknow:

I rang them up and said that I wanted it this week and surprisingly they just said "yes okay we'll book you in". Usually they put up a fight and give me a million reasons why they won't do it. I think they've just got bored of me pestering them hehe.

Does it hurt when it gets fitted? I'm scared now!
Had mine fitted today. I hadn't expected it to hurt until I started reading up on it last night and heard some scary stories. I would recommend not thinking about it now until maybe the night before or you'll end up too scared and nervous which won't help. If you're not on your period when you get it fitted, I think they said you need to use condoms for a week after, but they recommend not having sex or using condoms for three days anyway. Did it hurt? Everyone's different apparently. In people who have had kids it seems to be fine. I haven't had children though and it was very painful.
I'll give you a little walk through incase it helps.
I had to have a STI test for Chlamydia a week before. Then on the day I had a pregnancy test before it was fitted. The nurse asked me to remove my bottom half of clothing behind a screen, and gave me a large paper towel type thing to cover myself, asking me to lie on the bed. Then I was asked to put my feet together so my legs were spread. The nurse then lubed up her gloves and felt inside and pressed on my stomach, feeling if my womb was in the correct place I think. They then entered some instrument to open up my vagina (other accounts will probably say this more technically), a light was shone on as they looked for the cervix. This was quite uncomfortable, I would relate it to someone having sex or fingering you without you being turned on or anything. After fishing around for ages they found my cervix, but this was quite uncomfortable as I have a high cervix. Then it was very painful... they put some instrument onto my cervix to hold it in place which was very painful. There were three people in the room, one doctor, and one nurse, and the other I'm not sure as to whether she was a nurse or doctor - they were all women. The nurse held my hand and told me I could squeeze if necessary - which it was! She talked me through my breathing to fight through the pain. After clipping the cervix I believe they then were inserting the coil into the womb which was again excruciating. I believe the whole process took longer for me as I was on my period and they had trouble locating my cervix through the blood, so it may be better for you to not be on your period. They recommended taking painkillers half an hour before the appointment which I don't think helped me much, but I took 2 paracetamol's, and 2 ibuprofens. Other accounts I've read spoke of being put to sleep or under anaesthetic, which is something I would recommend asking your doctor about if you haven't had children. I really don't wish to discourage you as I am sure it will be amazing (I have the mariner so it will last for 5 years). However, some people have wrote that the horror stories should not discourage you, and hopefully you will be lucky and it won't hurt, but bear in mind that it may be very painful, and it's easy to say to ignore horror stories when you haven't been through it!
Good luck, and really try not to think about it until the day or night before. Be prepared for it to hurt, and if it doesn't you'll be pleasantly surprised. I've also read that talking some Kalms tablets or something before hand would be a good way to keep you calm and therefore the whole experience more enjoyable.
:smile:
I went to get mine fitted today and my cervix wouldn't open!!!!!!!
I was just lying on the bed with the nurse clamping me open with the speculum waiting for something to happen but nothing did! The nurses were lovely and just said that it happens sometimes. But I've researched the mirena coil loads and I never knew that this could happen.
It wasn't a nice experience and I found it quite uncomfortable and painful and the worst thing is that I have to go back in two weeks for them to try again! :frown: not impressed. Stupid cervix.
Has this happened to anyone else? xx

Latest