Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone having some troubles on what to do, I've had my current car for about 3 years now, and have about 2 years left on the loan 'till I own it outright. It's a great car I love the torque and power it puts out, but it is lacking in a few areas. For one the interior is horrible, I've seen matchbox cars with less plastic in the interior, but it doesn't rattle squeak and hasn't cracked.

I have had one of these cars before and have had it upto 700whp and then sold it, so I feel like everything I do is repetition, swapping the rear, having to put a cage in or subframe connectors, another clutch and flywheel.

One of the final nails in the coffin for me is I used to just be happy with highway power and drag racing but I have moved more towards track racing and handling which it just does not do well compared to smaller or more refined cars like bmw's, nissan's, and porsche's.

Since I'm planning on studying abroad I was thinking of keeping it at home and picking up a cheap small sports car where ever I go seeing as all the ones that I like are cheap everywhere around 5000USD. Having said that if I did buy one I would not be able to drive it in America when I return, so it would be a strictly track car.

Now obviously I'm not talking about brand new cars here when I compare, I would be just happy with a 944 or a 200sx. The problem is I love this car, it's the first car I've really paid for all of it myself, I can't see myself letting it go. If I get another car though what's the point of having it in the first place, I mean I guess it can be a daily while the other is a project car but I'm still torn.

I know it's a bit here in there with thought but I'm just trying to get my thoughts down on paper...

Any thoughts or ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Maintain your current car as a daily driver and buy a cheaper track day like car. You will have to have a garage though, or container or something!

Not a cheap way, but I am sure you can find somewhere to put the track car and it would be good fun!

A part of me thinks though that if you have $5000USD that you would be better off paying the loan off?

ReputationRep:
    5k wont pay it off, plus I feel the only reason I'm not modding it is cause I still owe on it which has saved me more than I can count

ReputationRep:
    mx-5

ReputationRep:
    Never been a fan of the mx-5 ever at all hate convertibles with a passion

ReputationRep:
    Well I looked into gas prices, and the places I'm looking at gas is close to or past $5 a gallon, and that is just ridiculous. So my car is out of the question not to mention I don't know how it will run on foreign gas seeing as how it's tuned on the local gas here. So I'm looking into local cars that get somewhat good gas mileage but are fun. Dug up the silvia and evo so far not really sure what else to look at, but just don't want something available in the states...

ReputationRep:
    Er...well $5 a gallon is cheaper than England lol!

Evos get rubbish economy, 22mpg if you are lucky and not sure what the Silvia is. To be fair you are not really going to get anything mildly exciting that has good fuel economy, except maybe a modern tuned diesel or a motorbike.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Er...well $5 a gallon is cheaper than England lol!

Evos get rubbish economy, 22mpg if you are lucky and not sure what the Silvia is. To be fair you are not really going to get anything mildly exciting that has good fuel economy, except maybe a modern tuned diesel or a motorbike.

True but it's going to be better than the 14mpg I get in the hawk when I rag on it. The silvia gets around 30mpg brother has an american 240 converted to the silvia motor. Kinda figuring that if I'm going to get something it's gonna have to be something I can't get in the states or the money is wasted. So silvia is out since I've basically built 2 of those here in the states. I love the evo4-6 such awesome looking cars, but after talking to my brother extensively for about 4 hours about stuff he can do when I get back (he owns a nissan performance shop) I think I might pick up a cheap r32 gtr. If the gtr is too expensive then its the evo. SO whenever I actually pick it up we can get this project thread started. In the mean time I'll post some stuff I do when I work on the hawk...

ReputationRep:
    Are we talking US gallons or UK ones though..? That changes things a bit :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minardi)
    Are we talking US gallons or UK ones though..? That changes things a bit :p:
    US gallons, wonder how much attention the hawk would get over there <.<

ReputationRep:
    you'll always be able to pick up a 4 cheaper than a 32 over here

ReputationRep:
    Everyone loves an mx5! Ive also got a friend with a 200sx.

I have so say however im presonally a fan of having two cars, track car and a daily car. The requirments in my mind are far enough apart that it can very much work out cheaper to have two cars than one that can do both jobs. Partiuarly if you then dont tax/test/insure the trackcar which i do (being a kitcar, its nice in summer)

You dont need a container/garage either. The kit car has to be kept out of the rain realistically so i bought a £900 covered car trailer and it lives in that but with a tin top you could keep in on a drive/flatbed?

Daniel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhutch)
    Everyone loves an mx5! Ive also got a friend with a 200sx.

I have so say however im presonally a fan of having two cars, track car and a daily car. The requirments in my mind are far enough apart that it can very much work out cheaper to have two cars than one that can do both jobs. Partiuarly if you then dont tax/test/insure the trackcar which i do (being a kitcar, its nice in summer)

You dont need a container/garage either. The kit car has to be kept out of the rain realistically so i bought a £900 covered car trailer and it lives in that but with a tin top you could keep in on a drive/flatbed?

Daniel

That's kinda why I'm thinking of picking a car up while I'm there, so I can bring it back as a track car. Doing the rest of that though over there on a students budget is unbelievably unrealistic though. I have my hawk and it's staying here no matter what I don't want to mess it up or take a risk on the fuel messing it up. So I'm just trying to decide which car to get over there that would be unique as a track car over here and would be an ok daily over there.

But this thread will be updated a few times this week, getting new tires on the car and going to a huge meet then a drive, should be fun.

ReputationRep:
    Checked the insurance on all of the cars today...

M3 Full coverage is $333/month
    Current Car is $288/month full coverage
    Skyline Gtr $120/month full coverage

And I checked to make sure they're all covered in most of the western countries of europe including Germany, and they are covered on the 'ring and autobahn

ReputationRep:
    Well got some pics on the drive from a friend... there seem to be like 100 of the damn things I'll let y'all look through them...

http://s822.photobucket.com/albums/z...view=slideshow

ReputationRep:
    It's amazing how much priorities change in a few months...

I don't plan on buying any cars while I'm in england at this point. However I do plan on bringing over my own vehicle

Hopefully getting a job here soon to help pay for some things but, I'll list the mods that will happen in the near future.

New front tires <.< (selling my nitrous kit for this)

New lightweight clutch and flywheel

New radiator

New electric waterpump

New intake Manifold

New headers

And some C6z brakes

Not the car I'm bringing though, I'm bringing something smaller, faster, and has better gas mileage

If anyone has tips about ridin in England it would be very appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Texan88)
    It's amazing how much priorities change in a few months...

I don't plan on buying any cars while I'm in england at this point. However I do plan on bringing over my own vehicle

Hopefully getting a job here soon to help pay for some things but, I'll list the mods that will happen in the near future.

New front tires <.< (selling my nitrous kit for this)

New lightweight clutch and flywheel

New radiator

New electric waterpump

New intake Manifold

New headers

And some C6z brakes

Not the car I'm bringing though, I'm bringing something smaller, faster, and has better gas mileage

If anyone has tips about ridin in England it would be very appreciated
    result, what're you bringing?? think you mentioned a GXR?

ReputationRep:
    I used to have a gsxr, this will be a much newer and better looking bike. Built in your country

ReputationRep:
    ooo, sounding like a ducatti

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaw)
    ooo, sounding like a ducatti
    You live in Italy

said country not continent :yes:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.