Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im a first year and i've got no one to live with next year. I get on really well with one of my housemates - she's like my best friend ever, but she's going to study abroad next year, so now i have no one to live with.

The other 4 girls in my flat have already signed for a house together with some other guys they know (they're going to be living in a house of nine or something). Thats fine because the 4 of them get on really well so i would probablly feel a bit left out if i was living with them, and i dont know the other people they are living with. But its making me feel like a bit of a loner. I've got friends that are on the same course as me but im not really that close with them, we just hang around between lectures and stuff - and most of them have already signed as well.

So now i dont now what to do next year. ive thought about going into opal - but i dont really know much about it. Is it mostly postgrads or will there be other 2nd years as well? And if i did go into opal when should i apply by? Does it fill up quickly?

I always thought i would've made more close friends than i have, never even contemplated that i would have a problem in finding housemates - its really starting to get to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoombini)
    Im a first year and i've got no one to live with next year. I get on really well with one of my housemates - she's like my best friend ever, but she's going to study abroad next year, so now i have no one to live with.

The other 4 girls in my flat have already signed for a house together with some other guys they know (they're going to be living in a house of nine or something). Thats fine because the 4 of them get on really well so i would probablly feel a bit left out if i was living with them, and i dont know the other people they are living with. But its making me feel like a bit of a loner. I've got friends that are on the same course as me but im not really that close with them, we just hang around between lectures and stuff - and most of them have already signed as well.

So now i dont now what to do next year. ive thought about going into opal - but i dont really know much about it. Is it mostly postgrads or will there be other 2nd years as well? And if i did go into opal when should i apply by? Does it fill up quickly?

I always thought i would've made more close friends than i have, never even contemplated that i would have a problem in finding housemates - its really starting to get to me.
    Firstly: DONT PANIC. I know people who have been in this situation, and its not as bad as you first think!
    One girl in this situation that I know applied to go into halls again and went into Broad Lane Court - she absolutely loves it there now and has met some people she totally clicks with there (even though she didn't first time round).
    I would recommend this, as you get put into flats with other second years so its not like you are just with internationals, hallamers or groups of friends which can happen in Opal. You also can choose Endcliffe if you like it there etc.

Don't take what has happened personally, there is nothing wrong with you for finding it difficult - I certainly had my own housing problems this year and although it got me down I just took it on the chin and eventually it sorted itself out, even though at first it felt like it never would.

Around June time, houses that have rooms available (people dropping out etc) are available and there are some now. I know loads of people who have advertised - all of them amazingly lovely groups not weirdos as you tend to suspect. Usually you have an informal meet and if everything goes okay you could sign for the room. You could be lucky to find fab people - 4 of my mates advertised for a 5th housemate a year ago, and the girl who joined them is so on there wavelength its impossible for them to imagine living there without her/and her without them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    Firstly: DONT PANIC. I know people who have been in this situation, and its not as bad as you first think!
    One girl in this situation that I know applied to go into halls again and went into Broad Lane Court - she absolutely loves it there now and has met some people she totally clicks with there (even though she didn't first time round).
    I would recommend this, as you get put into flats with other second years so its not like you are just with internationals, hallamers or groups of friends which can happen in Opal. You also can choose Endcliffe if you like it there etc.

Don't take what has happened personally, there is nothing wrong with you for finding it difficult - I certainly had my own housing problems this year and although it got me down I just took it on the chin and eventually it sorted itself out, even though at first it felt like it never would.

Around June time, houses that have rooms available (people dropping out etc) are available and there are some now. I know loads of people who have advertised - all of them amazingly lovely groups not weirdos as you tend to suspect. Usually you have an informal meet and if everything goes okay you could sign for the room. You could be lucky to find fab people - 4 of my mates advertised for a 5th housemate a year ago, and the girl who joined them is so on there wavelength its impossible for them to imagine living there without her/and her without them
    OK, thanks. Why is Broad Lane Court just second years, dont internationals and groups go there as well?

ReputationRep:
    broad lane courts is a lot of gap years so they'd be your age ...

although when your 18/19 i don't think it makes that much of a difference age wise on who you make friends with, i've made friends with ages from 18 (my age) up to 22 since being at uni.

i bet loads of people are in your situation anyway, just treat it as doing the first year again and work from there?

i'm kind of the opposite to you in the fact that i've made loads of friends at my accomodation who i'll be living with next year but only made like 3 friends on the course who i only see on the course and not go out with

ReputationRep:
    OK, thanks. Why is Broad Lane Court just second years, dont internationals and groups go there as well?
    Yes internationals and groups are there, but less so than in Opal.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm in exactly the same situation with me and a friend I'm living with in Endcliffe

We were thinking of Opal 2 aswell, though I suppose if you don't find anyone either maybe you could get in touch?

ReputationRep:
    nor me! its a pickle

ReputationRep:
    is anyone applying for opal 2?

ReputationRep:
    There is a meeting on the 17th of Feb at Coffee Revs for people looking for future housemates. Could give it a go and maybe find a BFF or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mfarley91)
    I'm in exactly the same situation with me and a friend I'm living with in Endcliffe

We were thinking of Opal 2 aswell, though I suppose if you don't find anyone either maybe you could get in touch?
    sorry,

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.