Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Longer hemlines please! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a stupid rant, not entirely serious, but it's just something that's been annoying me:

It's so frustrating. I'm a tall girl (5'11 at last measurement), and the whole trend with super-short hemlines means there are a lot of otherwise lovely dresses that I can't wear without being in constant danger of flashing everyone. I'm really not comfortable with the whole "tights as pants" thing either, so I end up having to add shorts/an extra skirt/trousers to a dress that would look so great on its own if it were just a few inches longer. D: And there seems to be no middle ground - I can't get a "normal" length mini skirt, everything is either super short or knee length.

At the moment I have three or four dresses that are too short to actually be worn as dresses (and they do make nice shirts, it's just that they'd make even nicer dresses), and I can't count the amount of wonderful dresses and skirts I've had to pass by in stores because they're simply too short. D: And I don't like wearing trousers, either, so having skirts and dresses that fit is a big concern for me. A few more inches, that's all I ask! D:

And don't even get me started on the fact that all normal stores stop stocking women's shoes two sizes below mine. Dx Being tall sucks.

ReputationRep:
    I sympathise completely with the shoe size issue I am 5'6 but I have size 8 feet that are really nice and i can never get any shoes that fit me properly. The only shoes that I can get in my size are converse which get boring after a while.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, wearing converse gets really dull. =K My feet are 9 1/2 UK size - 44 european. I recently discovered a solution to the shoe problem, though - barefoottess.com sells women's shoes in large sizes. They're slightly pricey, but they have sales pretty much constantly, so you should check that out!

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5'2" and think hemlines are too short!!! I have horrible legs but love dresses, but can't wear 'em cause they're all too short for my wobbly thighs. Nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    girls over 5'10" are technically disabled, you could probably claim some sort of disability benefit and spend the £££ on tailor made purdy dresses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    I'm 5'2" and think hemlines are too short!!! I have horrible legs but love dresses, but can't wear 'em cause they're all too short for my wobbly thighs. Nightmare.
    I knoow. D: Even my short friends complain that hemlines are too short. It makes no sense! Are those extra inches of fabric so expensive? Do they think we like flashing people?

(Original post by HumorousGent.)
    girls over 5'10" are technically disabled, you could probably claim some sort of disability benefit and spend the £££ on tailor made purdy dresses.
    What, really? xD Omg, that makes me want to learn to drive so I can use handicap parking for being tall. I wonder if it's just a UK thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heranje)
    What, really? xD Omg, that makes me want to learn to drive so I can use handicap parking for being tall. I wonder if it's just a UK thing?
    yep, true story. the also introduced financial help for those with sarcasm deficiencies, with bonuses for norwegians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumorousGent.)
    yep, true story. the also introduced financial help for those with sarcasm deficiencies, with bonuses for norwegians.
    Oh, how great! I'll never have to work again!

ReputationRep:
    Being tall is so fun once you learn to love it and find stuff that suits you. Make use of Tall collections for your basic pieces (Topshop is perfect for this - great-fitting skinny jeans and vests) and build everything else around it. I'm 5'11 and found a gorgeous dress from Miss Selfridge, despite their reputation for teeny-tiny sizing, so I wear it with thick tights and a blazer so it doesn't look too tacky, as well as super-cute underwear underneath in case they do happen to show.

If you go over to the US, they make most lovely shoes up to US 11 or 12 (UK 9 and 10) - Torrid is even better for this - so it's much easier to find beautiful ones that actually fit.

ReputationRep:
    I feel your pain OP, I'm about 5ft10. I've just learnt to live with it though - all my skirts/dresses are ridiculously short and I usually just wear them with black tights to make it slightly better... I'd never say I hate being tall though, I love it!

ReputationRep:
    Well, I like being tall generally. Towering over people is fun. xD And it means I have lovely long legs. It's just in the realm of finding clothes and shoes that it's not-so-fun. I know that logically no-one will see anything if I wear thick tights, but I just don't feel comfortable with it. v_v gonna invest in more cute shorts, though, because I find that shorts + long shirt/short dress is actually pretty cute!

Yeah, I know lots of US brands that make larger-size shoes. Trouble is, most of their online stores don't ship to Norway. I'll go down with an extra suitcase one day and stock up. xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Me too!! I don't hate my legs but don't want to wear something that nearly shows my fanny. I love dresses but struggle to find anything in the length I want :mad:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.