Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think of girls who wear hair extensions? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    they look alright if done well, cheap can look bad!!

ReputationRep:
    extensions are cool,

ReputationRep:
    I dislike them severely. I have long hair, I grew it. Yes, it took years but the best things come to those who wait. I dislike the 'impulsive' and 'impatience' of today's youth.

The only extensions I've ever had were to add colour, not length. I think it's cheating to add length. It's a lie.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously fake ones are a bit ew, otherwise it is pretty much the same as wearing makeup, fake eyelashes etc. IMO natural beauty is clearly better, but there's nothing wrong with enhancing it a bit

ReputationRep:
    I kinda associate them with the fake looking ****gy girls I see on nights out...what's the matter with shoulder length or short hair? I think it looks way more chic.

ReputationRep:
    I have Racoon bonded hair extensions, if I do say so myself they look incredibly natural. You wouldn't know it wasn't my own hair, they are really such a good match and applied really expertly. I didn't get them to look fake though. It was because I suffered 70% hair loss being ill with Crohn's disease and suffering bad side effects from the immunosuppressant Azathioprine. I'm not adding length, just volume.

Like xmarilynx said though bonded extensions are not for everyone. Clip ins are fun for a night out though - I don't think badly of anyone who wears extensions as that would be hypocritical. Although it is always better if they actually look good! Mine are around £700 a go and with that you have to remember you usually completely change each set around every 4 months. They are also pretty high maintenance, all the bonds have to be separated by hand a few times a day and you can only use certain products among other things. They must always been conditioned well, protected from heat and generally treated with care. I also get mine checked by my hairdresser, who 110% knows what she is doing, every 3 weeks or so and have any bonds that aren't looking so good removed and replaced. You really have to keep on top of it all to keep them looking good.

Racoon actually make you sign a contract before you get the extensions put in. It says effectively you understand what is involved with the extensions and what is expected in terms of the maintenance and that you fully realise if you do not abide by the advice given you can't expect good, lasting results. There was also a lifestyle questionnaire which included a lot about the time you had spare to take care of the extensions. It was a bit over the top but you all get the idea! Ha ha!

ReputationRep:
    They can look really nice
    (but I know of some people look terrible with them and they look much nicer with shorter hair, but thats probably because they are like... the wrong colour )

ReputationRep:
    I think hair extensions are generally awful, sorry, but I really think girls shouldn't bother with them.

ReputationRep:
    If I could afford the upkeep then I would. I want my hair down to my elbows but whenever it gets to that length the split ends attack and I have to get it all taken up an inch again.

Extensions look great on Cheryl Cole imo.

ReputationRep:
    If done properly it can look good, although on some people it makes them look like they have drawbacks

ReputationRep:
    I probably wouldn't notice.
    Either that, or I've never seen someone with hair extensions!

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't care. I mean, 97% of girls enhance their looks by using other stuff. Tanning included.

ReputationRep:
    I have long hair, it grows fairly fast, 1 year-ish to grow from my shoulders to my waist (although I'm only 5'1" if that makes a difference). Personally I find the idea of extensions made of synthetic materials or human hair extremely creepy.

I know people whose hair just grows ridiculously slowly though, I would never think badly of them for wearing extensions or think they looked bad. If you can't even tell and they think it is worth all the expense and hassle, then fair enough. I don't have to go through that, even if my hair isn't as thick I don't mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    I personally don't care. I mean, 97% of girls enhance their looks by using other stuff. Tanning included.
    Exactly :yep: I don't care too. We can't judge people because they wear hair extensions :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    My hair is just past my shoulders and I wore them all the time when my hair was black[profile pic], I think they looked really good and everyone thought my hair was naturally that long. I dyed my hair blonde last week and now I need some new onessss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    I dislike them severely. I have long hair, I grew it. Yes, it took years but the best things come to those who wait. I dislike the 'impulsive' and 'impatience' of today's youth.

The only extensions I've ever had were to add colour, not length. I think it's cheating to add length. It's a lie.

I've been growing my hair for a year - from just below my chin in February, to barely past my shoulders now it's January.

I'm also 5'10, meaning it takes much longer to look like it's a decent length. There's patience and then there's patience, plus I don't think it's any more fake then make-up or tanning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)

:yep:

So are heels and push up bras!

:rant:

(Original post by a_t)
    :yep:

So are heels and push up bras!

:rant:
    You don't use push up bras to add length. That would be narrrsty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    I've been growing my hair for a year - from just below my chin in February, to barely past my shoulders now it's January.

I'm also 5'10, meaning it takes much longer to look like it's a decent length. There's patience and then there's patience, plus I don't think it's any more fake then make-up or tanning.
    :yep: I pretty much agree. It's like, if I could drink a magic potion today that would grow my hair 15 inches overnight, I would so take it. But since that's never gonna happen, there's nothing really wrong with wearing some good extensions while you wait, and you know your hair will eventually get to your desired length in time anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to judge anyone who wears them but I personally don't like the look or the idea of them. I find it's pretty easy to spot extensions on somebody, and since the most natural and unnoticeable ones tend to be human hair.. yeah, I don't like the concept of that really. It isn't really any different to using fake tan or make-up, but I think they're often a pretty bad look.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.