Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think of girls who wear hair extensions? watch

ReputationRep:
    my hair is real and people kept mistaking it for extensions D:
    I've been growing it since I was 12 D:

ReputationRep:
    it really doesn't bother me either way. at all.

ReputationRep:
    too many weave too many many weaveeee

ReputationRep:
    Natural ones can look pretty nice but tbh nothing beats having your own long swishy hair. I've been growing mine forevs, I know it'll feel alot better when it's the length I want it and natural though rather than someone elses hair tacked onto mine

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know them to look at tbh, I've never seen a girl and thought "she has extensions"...so I guess I don't care.

ReputationRep:
    Not a big fan of them, but tbh I can't tell unless the girl mentions it. Then it bugs me, keep it natural ftw!

ReputationRep:
    They can look good but they are mostly bad. I can never tell girls are wearing them if they are but my female friends always know who's wearing hair extensions. These days they look big and unnatural.

Though girls these days are always changing their appearance. Dying their hair, going through phases of dark coloured then bright coloured clothes. If growing your hair takes years and a few minutes to cut it then it's not a convenient way of changing your appearance quickly.

(Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    I dislike the 'impulsive' and 'impatience' of today's youth.
    Lol I agree with this statement completely although you sound like my Grandma in reverse. :eek:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I don't wear extensions to extend my hair strangely enough...I find that never looks good but I'd always wanted blue hair but my hair's too dark to make it blue without bleaching so I got blue extensions instead...certainly not natural but got them styled by my hairdresser to match my natural hair so looks pretty good I reckon :yep: especially now my hair's dark pink :mmm: soon I'll have a rainbow :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    theres nothing cool about long hair, mine is almost down to my bum and its quite annoying

it takes 20 mins to wash hours to dry naturally and i cant do anything with it, i only wear it in 3 styles (down, pony tail or two plaits) i cant curl it because its too heavy, i cant wear it up in a clip cause its too thick and heavy sometimes even wearing it up in a pony tail hurts because of the heaviness of it, its a pain in the arse in the summer when its boiling or when its windy

im debating on whether to get it cut to shoulder length or a little longer, think i might go for it tbh
    Ahh, it's still cool, it's just higher maintainance I used to have hair a similar length. If you're thinking about cutting it, you could consider donating it to a charity that makes wigs for people who suffer from hair loss because of a medical condition (or its treatment). I think they need to have sections about 8 inches or longer. I am about 5'3 and had hair down to my bum, and I had 13 inches cut of the first time, then a few months later I had another 8 inches off - and my hair still went past my shoulders, so I could pull it back very easily, and it felt much lighter, and it was so much easier to wash and dry
    Anyway, cutting it off in two sessions makes it a bit easier to get used to, it's less scary, and if you decide you don't like it, it's easier to turn back Your head feels so light - like it's going to float off - when you've had a mass of hair cut off I was like, 'wheeeee, I'm floating :awesome:'

I am not sure of my overall stance on hair extensions. I'm not altogether against them, although I think it looks a bit daft when you see someone who, last week, had a bob, and now they have hip-length hair. I also think Cheryl Cole's hair... there's just too much. It's like nails: a little bit of length is fine, but talons are freaky. I know some of her hair's fake, but it makes me wonder, if she can grow that much hair on her head, what hormonal condition caused that ability, and how hairy does that make her elsewhere? :p:
    I can't remember mentioned blue and pink hair, but that's really cool and I definitely aprove

I definitely support fake hair for people who've got hair loss problems, although they certainly shouldn't feel obliged to use it.

I am also uncertain about the idea of 'having patience to grow it'. I had my hair cut a couple of years ago into a 'funky' style, and although in theory it was probably the most flattering cut for me, I was too lazy, and it irritated me because I couldn't pull it back. It's only in the last 5 months or so that I've been able to pull it back, and only quite recently that it's stayed without clips. I think if extensions had made it easier to style my hair in the way that suits me and that suits my lifestyle, then I might have ben tempted by them. However, I never thought to consider them and I'm quite lazy anyway... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think its pretty gross tbh, unless the extensions are synthetic. Did anyone watch that programme "Whose hair is it anyway?" It showed some of the poorer countries where the girls sell their hair/cut it off for religious reasons. The gross part was just seeing these giant mounds of hair everywhere, and then knowing people would then stick it to their heads. Ew.

ReputationRep:
    As long as they look natural they're fine. I just hat it when you can see the clips through people's hair :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lazuliblue)
    I think its pretty gross tbh, unless the extensions are synthetic. Did anyone watch that programme "Whose hair is it anyway?" It showed some of the poorer countries where the girls sell their hair/cut it off for religious reasons. The gross part was just seeing these giant mounds of hair everywhere, and then knowing people would then stick it to their heads. Ew.
    Hindu women and girls have their heads shaved in temples as permitted by scriptures; usually the hair is collected for distribution as packaged hair extensions. However, because of the growing demand for this 'virgin' hair from the west, big businesses have seen an opportunity for profit, and they are starting to use less 'ethical' methods of collection.

Women in slums can sell their own or their childrens' hair in exchange for money or small toys, and often men will be paid in exchange for their wives' hair against their will. I remember reading in The Guardian that one girls was even held down and attacked for her hair by a gang of men.

Essentially, you rarely (if ever) know the origin of hair extensions; does the possibility of exploitation not bother you in the slightest? Even if you can be 100% sure the hair was collected ethically, it just feels like 'stealing' someone else's hair to me... very strange.

ReputationRep:
    This should be in Hair Care and Hair Styles.

ReputationRep:
    Extensions are a form of lying, as are padded bras.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *River)
    This should be in Hair Care and Hair Styles.
    Sorry, my bad. Thanks for moving it

I think girls who wear hair extensions need their self-esteem boosted up!
    There is nothing like natural beauty!

ReputationRep:
    I have also been made aware of the fact that the hair they use for these extensions may well come from the dead. My wig tutor at uni made us aware of that fact. Quite gross when you think about where the hair comes from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by algérie_mon_amour)
    I think girls who wear hair extensions need their self-confidence boosted up!
    Lets say I wanted longer hair so i decided to get extensions, how does that mean my self-confidence needs boosted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by algérie_mon_amour)
    I think girls who wear hair extensions need their self-esteem boosted up!

I'm wearing extensions right now.

I like my body.
    I like my face.
    I just want longer hair.

How the hell do I need my self-esteem boosted?

ReputationRep:
    It tells me they'll be the type that take forever getting their hair ready for a night out

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.