Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think of girls who wear hair extensions? watch

(Original post by pamelaa)
    Lets say I wanted longer hair so i decided to get extensions, how does that mean my self-confidence needs boosted?
    It looks like you quoted my reply a second after I have altered it :p:
    Anyway, I have answered the question regardless to wether you have long hair or not; girls usually wear hair extentions because they want to express another type of beauty,which they think they don't have, and to me this can only explained by the fact that they are not happy with how they look like naturally. This is my opinion

(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    I'm wearing extensions right now.

I like my body.
    I like my face.
    I just want longer hair.

How the hell do I need my self-esteem boosted?
    Well, that's my opinion! My theory is : if you change the way you look, it means that you are not happy with how you are, hene lacking self-esteem; personal opinion though I could be proved wrong :rolleyes:
    Surely, unless you have hair length problems, you can be patient for few months to have a natural long hair ? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by algérie_mon_amour)
    Well, that's my opinion! My theory is : if you change the way you look, it means that you are not happy with how you are, hene lacking self-esteem; personal opinion though I could be proved wrong :rolleyes:
    Surely, unless you have hair length problems, you can be patient for few months to have a natural long hair ? :confused:

So if I wear make-up I'm not happy with how I look? :nothing:

And it's not 'a few months', I've been growing my hair since last February, haven't touched it since, and it's barely past shoulder length. Not everyone's hair grows at the same rate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by algérie_mon_amour)
    It looks like you quoted my reply a second after I have altered it :p:
    Anyway, I have answered the question regardless to wether you have long hair or not; girls usually wear hair extentions because they want to express another type of beauty,which they think they don't have, and to me this can only explained by the fact that they are not happy with how they look like naturally. This is my opinion
    I kinda see what you mean. But anyone can grow long hair naturally really, it just takes a long time sometimes. And when you've had your hair cut to a certain length and want to grow it out, I see nothing wrong in wearing extensions in the mean time while you wait to get there.

So if I wear make-up I'm not happy with how I look? :nothing:
    Yes to me that's the case. It's fake beauty

And it's not 'a few months', I've been growing my hair since last February, haven't touched it since, and it's barely past shoulder length. Not everyone's hair grows at the same rate.
    Of course they don't all grow at the same rate, but will eventioally grow ! Anyway, that was my answer to the question. I don't see it necessary to wear extention or anything 'fake' in general; I 'm not here to say don't wear it! in fact I don't mind if someone I know wore it, because it's their choice.

ReputationRep:
    I'm wearing extensions right now.

I like my body.
    I like my face.
    I just want longer hair.

How the hell do I need my self-esteem boosted?
    I 100% agree with this, I like my body - I have a nice small frame, I like my face and it's features I wouldn't want to change them but if I suffered from really awful hair loss why shouldn't I just restore what I previously had with extensions. I have no problem saying I'm attractive, so I can't fathom why anyone would want to tell me I need more self confidence.

Most of the negative opinions being given here are by people who have no real experience of wearing good quality, well applied hair extensions though - maybe that's a bit harsh but how can anyone give a well judged opinion on something they really know nothing about. I get that this topic is what do you think of extensions as opposed to what you know about them but everything being said is very vague and based on a few obviously poor examples of extensions that people have seen whilst out. I just think this topic is generally one of the more judgemental I've read. You can't see the clips with mine because there aren't any, they're bonded and the hair texture and colour is a perfect match because it's European hair and originates from central Russia. Where hair trade is big business. I wouldn't buy Indian or Asian hair, with me being blonde, because it's often coarse and dark and can't stand the harsh chemical processing it takes to lighten it. I realise there is stereotyping in the world but extensions most certainly can look really good if you have the time and money to dedicate to them.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't bother me really, its similar to contact lenses - Accessorizing your features by ADDING rather than complimenting.

I personally think its a waste of time, money & hassle!

Shaved heads in a NON 'obsessive about looks world' for the win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatalieMT)
    I 100% agree with this, I like my body - I have a nice small frame, I like my face and it's features I wouldn't want to change them but if I suffered from really awful hair loss why shouldn't I just restore what I previously had with extensions. I have no problem saying I'm attractive, so I can't fathom why anyone would want to tell me I need more self confidence.

Most of the negative opinions being given here are by people who have no real experience of wearing good quality, well applied hair extensions though - maybe that's a bit harsh but how can anyone give a well judged opinion on something they really know nothing about. I get that this topic is what do you think of extensions as opposed to what you know about them but everything being said is very vague and based on a few obviously poor examples of extensions that people have seen whilst out. I just think this topic is generally one of the more judgemental I've read. You can't see the clips with mine because there aren't any, they're bonded and the hair texture and colour is a perfect match because it's European hair and originates from central Russia. Where hair trade is big business. I wouldn't buy Indian or Asian hair, with me being blonde, because it's often coarse and dark and can't stand the harsh chemical processing it takes to lighten it. I realise there is stereotyping in the world but extensions most certainly can look really good if you have the time and money to dedicate to them.
    I think the point is that you should realise that your hair does not define you, or your beauty. Personally, I feel that physical beauty pertains to features such as eyes, bone structure etc., and that hair can not make a person beautiful.

There are plenty of people who have long hair that isn't pretty at all; similarly I have friends with incredibly short pixie cuts who are stunning. Perhaps even more so because they have nothing to hide behind. My hair is just at my shoulders, but it's my natural auburn colour and it's very shiny and healthy; I would say that it doesn't make me any less attractive than someone with waist length hair. Even so, in my opinion hair extensions can look so wrong because they don't have movement... they just 'hang' because they're fake hair that's attached to your own.

And finally, you might say that you love yourself even without the hair extensions, but I think that statement is perhaps redundant? Surely if you do think you're attractive, then you don't need to glue someone else's hair onto your head in order to make you feel better?

I don't look down on people who have hair extensions, but I would never go near them. I know that my boyfriend would run a mile if I turned up with fake hair, fake nails, fake anything really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayley22)
    I think the point is that you should realise that your hair does not define you, or your beauty. Personally, I feel that physical beauty pertains to features such as eyes, bone structure etc., and that hair can not make a person beautiful.
    I commented that I like my frame and I like my face and that I wouldn't change its features. At the end of the day I'll always have that even if I have no hair. I didn't say hair defined anyone, but it certainly adds to ones identity. I also didn't say I didn't find short hair attractive, but what suits one person doesn't always suit another. Good for you if you like your hair, I like mine and contrary to what you might be thinking it too is only a little way past my shoulders. Extensions don't just 'hang' if you have them cut in right, in fact pretty much all the people I have met who I have come to discuss my hair extensions with are absolutely astonished they aren't anything but my own hair.

Yes I could do away with my hair extensions and it wouldn't make a massive difference, but I don't feel obliged to all the same because I like them and think they look nice. As I said if I suffered extreme hair loss and I wanted to restore my hair to its previous state using extensions for volume then why not. I don't know how many people would immediately embrace 70% less hair and maybe until you've been in that situation and lived with a chronic disease and all it's side effects it's hard to comment on what you would do. Although obviously I know nothing about your personal life and vice versa frankly. Did I want hair extensions before my hair loss, no I had no desire or need for them. Yes my own hair is growing back but I again have no problem admitting I'm relatively impatient.

I understand a lot of people don't want or like extensions but me having them doesn't automatically make me 'fake' that's the word I object to people associating with those who have hair extensions. I don't look 'fake' in the slightest. If I didn't tell a partner my hair wasn't real, to look at me they wouldn't know and neither would anybody else, it shouldn't make a difference to any relationship, but I don't feel the need to hide that my hair isn't my own. I'm just as real and honest as anyone else.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.