Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I need help understanding this,

My school sits Edexcel maths exams for A Level, my friend's school sits CCEA maths exams for A Level.
    The other night I was shown the January 2010 CCEA C3 paper, and oh my word, it was so easy.
    Comparing it to the Edexcel C3 paper I just sat, I can't see how it's fair that there is such a difference in difficultly. Obviously it is a lot easier for someone sitting the CCEA paper to get an A compared to the Edexcel paper.
    I spoke to my friend about this and he said that his friend who did the CCEA paper couldn't do many Edexcel questions on past papers.

Do universities take into account what board an exam is or is it just unfortunate for me that I'm sitting a harder exam than people from the school down the road?

I'm not really complaining, obviously it's been happening for years and everyone else has coped, i just think it's a bit strange.

ReputationRep:
    That is what UMS is for. You're grade boundaries will be lower because your exam paper is harder...don't worry - exams are generally pretty fair.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Apparently AQA Maths is pretty easy too. I remember my maths teacher going on about how we do a 'real' maths A Level. (We're on EDEXCEL too)

I guess actually it's good if the exam board sets challenging material, especially if you plan to take a subject at uni which requires good mathematical skills (such as physics)

ReputationRep:
    It was one paper. That hardly represents the whole board. Plus C3 and C4 aren't the same for all boards, so content will vary. Perhaps that's why your friend couldn't do any of the Edexcel questions.

And yes you are needlessly complaining. Focus on your own exams.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry too much, the UMS will help to sort out the grades you'll get...that will make it much fairer

ReputationRep:
    There are other schools doing other exam boards which are harder than Edexcel, so is it fair for them? Its just how it is unfortunately, yh I sat the C3 exam aswell, and we were unlucky to get a hard paper (C3 paper in June was piss easy), so we can only hope the grade boundaries will be really low.

I don't know about universities taking into account what exam board you are with. But yeah, as above posters stated UMS balances it out.

ReputationRep:
    There won't be much variation in terms of the actual grades you get, due to UMS scaling and whatnot, though, otherwise every school would do the "easiest" exam board.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narik)
    That is what UMS is for. You're grade boundaries will be lower because your exam paper is harder...don't worry - exams are generally pretty fair.
    Thanks, I googled UMS and found the wiki page on it and it makes sense now.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you have a nice big glass of "shut the **** up- at least you're not doing MEI".

ReputationRep:
    Haha I know what you mean OP.. My maths set always seems to draw the short straw when it comes to Edexcel maths exams...

ReputationRep:
    OCR was ridiculous too this year

ReputationRep:
    MEI maths really isn't too bad in my opinion. It's great if you want to do degree level mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    Harder maths is more fun anyway. Maybe you will have an advantage at uni because you were set questions of a hihger difficulty..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Apparently AQA Maths is pretty easy too. I remember my maths teacher going on about how we do a 'real' maths A Level. (We're on EDEXCEL too)

I guess actually it's good if the exam board sets challenging material, especially if you plan to take a subject at uni which requires good mathematical skills (such as physics)
    Tbf you need to have roughly the same mathematical abilities. What's easier is the way the questions are put down on paper.

ReputationRep:
    I agree it's a bit of a problem really - I did once look at an AQA C4 exam out of curiosity when I was revising for that unit and I found it a bit easier than the Edexcel papers my sixth form did , the questions seemed a bit more simple if you know what I mean.Not sure where CCEA or WJEC fit in but I'd always thought it was AQA < Edexcel < OCR < MEI in terms of overall difficulty.

I really wouldn't waste time worrying about it to be frank and focus on your own exam though.

ReputationRep:
    I remember thinking this back when i did some AQA past papers cos i ran out of MEI ones, the content was the same but the questions were far simpler in AQA.

I'm pretty sure it gets compensated for, and anyhow it gives you a better grounding if you intend to go into a maths based course..

In terms of maths, I do the WJEC and find it okay, i look at some of the OCR papersa nd was simply stumped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popppppy)
    Ok, I need help understanding this,

My school sits Edexcel maths exams for A Level, my friend's school sits CCEA maths exams for A Level.
    The other night I was shown the January 2010 CCEA C3 paper, and oh my word, it was so easy.
    Comparing it to the Edexcel C3 paper I just sat, I can't see how it's fair that there is such a difference in difficultly. Obviously it is a lot easier for someone sitting the CCEA paper to get an A compared to the Edexcel paper.
    I spoke to my friend about this and he said that his friend who did the CCEA paper couldn't do many Edexcel questions on past papers.

Do universities take into account what board an exam is or is it just unfortunate for me that I'm sitting a harder exam than people from the school down the road?

I'm not really complaining, obviously it's been happening for years and everyone else has coped, i just think it's a bit strange.
    I do CCEA maths and the reason why your friend couldn't do your Edexcel paper is because most of your C3 content comes up in C4 for us
    However, most of what we do in C3 comes up in C4 for you, so everything balances out in the end as the same topics have been covered
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by theBOON)
    Tbf you need to have roughly the same mathematical abilities. What's easier is the way the questions are put down on paper.
    I interpretted it as actually being all round easier, as in less challenging stuff is on the syllabus.

Although there are a few noticeable differences between AQA and EDEXCEL C3, for example the presence of integration in AQA C3, but as far as I can tell the (integration) questions are no harder than in EDEXCEL C4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    I interpretted it as actually being all round easier, as in less challenging stuff is on the syllabus.

Although there are a few noticeable differences between AQA and EDEXCEL C3, for example the presence of integration in AQA C3, but as far as I can tell the (integration) questions are no harder than in EDEXCEL C4.
    Well I hope AQA mathematics isn't too much less given less prestige because the only board offer Further Maths in British Standards is AQA in Malta I wouldn't like to look as having inferior grades .

From the input I got AQA gives easier questions in that it's easier to comprehend what they are asking the student to do. In doing so the questions are worked in less time and overall they are easier to workout.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.