Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ok ive been wondering about this for a while. 0 / 0 ??

what is the answer?

because:

when you take the equation of motion - v = u + at
    and rearrange it to: t = (v-u)/a

if you are travelling at a constant velocity then a = 0 and v-u = 0
    so you get: t = 0/0.

so what would time be in this case?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    if you are travelling at constant velocity, then the final velocity = intial velocity irrespectve of the duration of motion. therefore, t doesnt have a solution

ReputationRep:
    There would be no need to solve for t in this case. The only place you'd need to find t is if the car was travelling at a constant speed v over a displacement s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devp93)
    t = (v-u)/a
    Ultimately, the most important thing to consider with mechanics is the question of "what is the physical interpretation of my formula?"

In this circumstance, if you take a look at what you've written down you'll quickly realise that the physical meaning is this:

How long does it take me to get from initial velocity, u, to final velocity, v, assuming I am accelerating with acceleration, a?

Evidently, the answer is that it takes no time at all, i.e. the answer is zero.

So what does this mean mathematically? It means that the numerator is "more zero" (strange concept I know) than the denominator. This is a concept that you will consider more deeply when you do more pure mathematics - the idea that some infinite functions will reach a limit "faster" than other functions which reach the same limit. In the situation you've described, the mathematical understanding is that the fact that the final velocity is the same as the initial velocity, overrides the fact that it takes zero time to get from one speed to the other

ReputationRep:
    cool that helps a lot thanks

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.