How to get a job in managment consulting watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: I found this useful
    Yes
    25.00%
    No
    75.00%

ReputationRep:
    I hope these are helpful to anyone applying to consulting...
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf How to get a management consulting job.pdf (317.3 KB, 367 views)
  2. File Type: pdf anonymous Cover Letter BCG.pdf (199.0 KB, 645 views)

ReputationRep:
    i've never seen a cover letter like that. not sure if that's appropriate...

ReputationRep:
    Is this a joke? That cover letter is awful. It's two pages long and I've spotted at least two grammatical errors already.

ReputationRep:
    I found it helpful

ReputationRep:
    The CV and guide aren't half bad, but that cover letter... :p:

ReputationRep:
    Dear Charlotte ....?!? Whilst addressing a cover letter to a specific person shows commitment and a real interest in the company, should you not refer to them properly, using their surname?

ReputationRep:
    Although the letter was a bit strange..
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Fairly poor pitch overall. The CV is only average, the covering letter is shocking - and you say you didn't get invited to interview? I'm not surprised, but why did you think it would be useful to show us that?

But above all - what's your credibility - for a first post, why should anyone think this is strong advice? Who did you interview with, who did you get an offer from, who are you working for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unsung_hero)
    Dear Charlotte ....?!? Whilst addressing a cover letter to a specific person shows commitment and a real interest in the company, should you not refer to them properly, using their surname?
    Dear (first name) is OK. To be gramm correct, clost it with:

Yours sincerely (not faithfully)...

good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with 3PD, it's a poor pitch. And you don't seem to be particularly familiar with the recruitment processes at the top houses.

I would advise prospective candidates to aim for only 300 words in a cover letter, and spend at least 150 of those addressing the vital question which the above sample entirely neglects: why you. I did one paragraph on why MC and a snapshot impression of the firm and what I liked, then a second paragraph introducing my key selling points, and about 6 bullet points (no more than 2 sentences) of my experiences/achievement that illustrated them.

For CVs, I would advise candidates to post theirs in the CV helper forum. 3PD critiqued mine, and I'm sitting here with a top offer.

As for interview preparation, I think most candidates need look no further than the plentiful resources featured on the Mck, Bain, BCG, OW, Monitor, OC&C, Roland Berger websites (stick to strategy houses). I also met up with a fellow candidates to run through some case studies, which I found invaluable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Fairly poor pitch overall. The CV is only average, the covering letter is shocking - and you say you didn't get invited to interview? I'm not surprised, but why did you think it would be useful to show us that?

But above all - what's your credibility - for a first post, why should anyone think this is strong advice? Who did you interview with, who did you get an offer from, who are you working for?
    I wasn't going to post anything but I can't help myself!

In terms of credibility: I had about a 50% success rate at getting interviews (using basically this CV and cover letter), and I'll start with one of the big three in the Autumn...

I love that you all hate my cover letter

ReputationRep:
    that cover letter is horrific.

ReputationRep:
    Questions in a cover letter? two pages? The whole thing is just so off the ball.

ReputationRep:
    The cover letter is really, really poor.

After observing a few classes and talking to the children it became clear to me that the real problem was with abstraction rather than numeracy. The children could work out the cost of 3 burger meals if each cost £4, but “3×4” meant nothing to them, the usual question was “three times four of what?”
    This idea is stolen from The Wire.

ReputationRep:
    The sentiments of the cover letter are sound, but it's the delivery that seriously lacks (the same can partially be said for your CV too).

I think you've got away with it simply because cover letters are often neglected if the CV alone is strong enough, and they are simply used by interviewers to prep for interviews and pick up some initial strands of discussion. Under this scenario, they could probably forgive your verbosity. This could be a 'fatal' mistake for applicants with more marginal CVs, and of course it does not speak well for a communication-driven industry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crafty bison)
    The cover letter is really, really poor.

This idea is stolen from The Wire.
    Season 4 when prezbo is trying to teach?

ReputationRep:
    "Cover letter – make it personal (and short)"

"I’ve attached my cover letter for BCG; I would emphasis that they didn’t interview me so this really isn’t a model! Reading it now I think it’s too long, and also the stuff on why BCG is pretty weak."

lol.

ReputationRep:
    I try not to get involved in consultancy, but I seriously lol'ed at this: "I have always looked for mental challenge". I have a brick you can use, if that helps.

ReputationRep:
    I like the 'Try something else bit'. Gives an excellent summary. It's also nice to know that the average age is 23-24, as I'm 22 due to a 4 year undergrad and now doing an internship + Msc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruciform)
    Do you also mean the content is average too?
    I can't see how a high 1st and a post grad at Oxford can be of 'average' content, even if it is for management consulting.
    We don't know where the 1st was from, and not all Oxford postgrad courses are challenging to get into.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.