Turn on thread page Beta

How to get a job in managment consulting watch

• View Poll Results: I found this useful
    Yes
    25.00%
    No
    75.00%

ReputationRep:
    Did he not say somewhere that he actually got a consulting job? And they are hard to get in to so he must of done something right..

ReputationRep:
    He said he got a job with one of the "big three", by which presumably he means MBB; and he didn't get into BCG, so it must be either McK or Bain. These are very difficult jobs to get; however he is coming in as a mature hire with what looks like it could be top work experience, so the importance of the quality of his cover letter is presumably somewhat diminished. When you come in as a fresh graduate, the cover letter is often the ONLY thing that differentiates you from the pack, and so you really have to get it right; by contrast, this applicant has been in work for some time, and then gone back to university and studied a (presumably relevant) Masters, and so is working to different criteria.

So to people reading this thread with a view to applying for graduate roles straight out of first degrees, please don't be fooled. Your cover letter certainly needs to be better and shorter than this.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Ditto. The MBBs will take a badly written application (as this is) if it has certain key words, because they are prepared to take a chance (for the costs involved in interviewing) on finding the right candidate. I suspect the OP got invited to interview in the basis of just three or four lines of the CV and then performed exceptionally well at interviews. So as a guide to 'how to get a job in management consulting' the CV and covering letter are not good examples.

ReputationRep:
    The CV isn't too bad, the other document giving tips isn't bad but yes the letter is... different. To the OP, how are you finding the job if you have actually started it? Challenging? Interesting?

ReputationRep:
    Christ, the covering letter is hideous!

To the prospective candidates still at university... I met up with Alison Betts from McK at a recruiter-in-residence session in my university's career service, and I'm sure that the other big firms have similar events. It was advertised as a 10 minute CV consultation, but show some initiative and have them look over your cover letter while you're there.... they're unlikely to say no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consultant kid)
    and I'll start with one of the big three in the Autumn...

I love that you all hate my cover letter
    Which one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schoolrunner13)
    Which one?
    By process of elimination, I think it must be Michael Douglas.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.