Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I was just wondering whether your IQ can change over time, like in a year or so, either increasing or decreasing.

Mine used to be 122, but now it's 103 according to online IQ tests (I might not have used the same one).

Is it possible to get more stupid over time?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    IQ isn't a measurement of how 'stupid' you are; it's simply a few 'puzzles'. So yes, it can change over time.

ReputationRep:
    Online IQ tests are a big load of bullpoo.

ReputationRep:
    It can change very easily, especially bewteen different types of IQ test. Ones found by using google are notoriously bad btw :p:

I think mine's dropped since I joined TSR. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Online tests are useless :p:

And you're not going to have the same IQ when you are 4 as the one you do when you are 24 are you?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    I think mine's dropped since I joined TSR. :sigh:
    My thoughts exactly. I was a member previously, I've just recently made another account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwirlGirl)
    Online tests are useless :p:

And you're not going to have the same IQ when you are 4 as the one you do when you are 24 are you?!
    No, mine has apparently dropped between last year and now.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't trust online tests :P

(Original post by MrHappy_J)
    My thoughts exactly. I was a member previously, I've just recently made another account.
    I think the online tests factor in your age, because I remember when I did a few () they asked for my age, and when I did another test a couple of years later my IQ had dropped. All of this was prior to my TSR :lurk:ing days.

ReputationRep:
    mine has definitely gone down since finishing highschool :rolleyes: ...mostly down to my hatred of posh people in uni and not getting along with the uber geeks and arrogant toffs that are around in uni :eek: - i spend far too much time trying to avoid them and just hating them :o:

(Original post by Urkel)
    Same. But for me, it could just be that I feel stupider by being surrounded by people with perfect grades :p:
    There's only one thing to do.

"Urkel is out!" :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Online IQ tests are less accurate than a 4 year-old's guess. In fact I'm not sure a fully derived MENSA test is that accurate, but that is because of my ideology so to speak (there are many different types of intelligence http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_..._intelligences, and I don't see how even 1000 questions would accurately pinpoint your intelligence (and in what category?). Of course rough approximations can be calculated, but in periods of 60 points or so (I believe).

As for your question, yes. Let my IQ score in an IQ test sat last year be x. If I was to resit it (of course in the same conditions as previously), I think my score would be about x+10 or even x+20. Perhaps even x+30.

I have entered a new 'phase' of thinking as I see it, where I think logically and thus I do (significantly) better in maths, whereas I've slipped quite a bit in English. (A remarkable and welcome change).

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if you learn the formats they all go by. This is why IQ tests are ********.

ReputationRep:
    Different IQ tests will most likely give you different scores, online ones probably aren't too trustworthy tbh. I don't think they are a very accurate measure of intelligence really as it is fairly easy to practice those sorts of questions and improve at them, so yes it probably can change
    IQ does change with age but some tests factor it in.

(Original post by Urkel)
    If only. I tried before and even got my account banned.

But, alas I made a new one.

Looks like I'll be stuck here forever. :egg:
    Do you want a welcome home kiss? :curious:

(Original post by Urkel)
    Wouldn't that ruin my love/hate relationship with TSR? :eek3:
    I can't say; I've never been in such a situation.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea
    the internet ones aren't going to be very accurate though
    and of course you could always "revise" for an iq test....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whiterabbit118)
    I have no idea
    the internet ones aren't going to be very accurate though
    and of course you could always "revise" for an iq test....
    nah you can't revise for an iq test, that's not how they work. youre supposed to figure it out mentally without using pen and paper, and not revise previously. otherwise its called "practise effects" which decreases its accuracy.

i also noticed that most IQ-related questions are mathematic and internal calculations. not everyone can do that sort of stuff.

ReputationRep:
    IQ does not change. IQ as measured by different types of tests and dependent on your performance that day etc easily may. For the people who received a higher score when they were younger, age adjusted tests will calculate, for example, that a 12 year old who scores 60/100 has a higher IQ than a 16 year old with the same score. On the whole they're to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.