Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, (:

I'm coming to the end of my A2 year now, but after the past two years I've had a horrid experience at school and I'm not doing as well as I'd hoped.

Thus in one year I hope to take 2 A levels (AS and A2) - History and French.

I'm seriously hard working so I know I can do it, however I don't know how I go about it. Where can I find a place where I can take two courses in one year? Do I hire a tutor to moderate coursework and learn it all myself? Or are there places I can go? And does anyone know how I sign up to take the exam if I'm no longer part of a school?
    And when it comes to referances, can your new 'tutor' write your referance?

Thank you, if anyone can answer any of those I will adore you forever,

Much love,

Anastasia x

(Original post by Anastasia.Sy)
    Hello, (:

I'm coming to the end of my A2 year now, but after the past two years I've had a horrid experience at school and I'm not doing as well as I'd hoped.

I'm seriously hard working so I know I can do it, however I don't know how I go about it. Where can I find a place where I can take two courses in one year? Do I hire a tutor to moderate coursework and learn it all myself? Or are there places I can go? And does anyone know how I sign up to take the exam if I'm no longer part of a school?

Much love,

Anastasia x
    You can ring up local colleges and schools in your area who might let you take the exam there. You can sign up so you just take the exams at the school or college and then study at home. In terms of coursework you would need to discuss that when you ring up especially in terms of the oral exam for French

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people I know do 2 A Levels in a year so it must be possible. Admittedly, that's with the support of the college but I'm sure it'd as manageable on your own if you're dedicated.

You can enter exams as a private candidate with an exam centre ie. an FE college. You may even be able to do it in your sixth form but I wouldn't know. FE colleges almost certainly take private candidates anyway. The best thing to do is ring your local college and ask someone for advice.

ReputationRep:
    You could try doing it distance learning. I plan to do that with English Language if I take a gap year, and the places that do it offer whole A-Levels in a year and that sort of thing. I believe, from what I've read, that they help you with exam entry and everything as well.

ReputationRep:
    Well next year I'm gonna do a Human Biology A Level, fast track it at first then see how I feel about it, if not I'll do another year. What's a year, if it means you get a better grade overall?

ReputationRep:
    Hello, (:

Much love,

Anastasia x
    I finished my A-levels in 2006, had a gap year, went to Uni for 1 year, didnt like course, so reapplied. Thought the same as you, how do i find somewhere to do it?

I use the NEC, its an online thing where you buy books from and you get a long-distance tutor (they are very good), but essentially they will send you the course materials for whatever you want to study, and what exam board, and then leave you to it. There are assignments that you have to send off but its really good. I'm doing A-Level Maths now to go back in September (to Leeds!!!) from the books i bought off the NEC. I'm doing geography aswell but i just bought the text books and used the specifications off the Edexcel website.

As for exams, on the NEC website they have a list of centres that will allow external candidates, depending on the exam board you need to use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sean kefw)
    I finished my A-levels in 2006, had a gap year, went to Uni for 1 year, didnt like course, so reapplied. Thought the same as you, how do i find somewhere to do it?

I use the NEC, its an online thing where you buy books from and you get a long-distance tutor (they are very good), but essentially they will send you the course materials for whatever you want to study, and what exam board, and then leave you to it. There are assignments that you have to send off but its really good. I'm doing A-Level Maths now to go back in September (to Leeds!!!) from the books i bought off the NEC. I'm doing geography aswell but i just bought the text books and used the specifications off the Edexcel website.

As for exams, on the NEC website they have a list of centres that will allow external candidates, depending on the exam board you need to use.
    I might do something similar next year (if I decide not to go uni this year)....And I was wondering, what is it like doing your maths A-level. You see I havent done maths for 2 years now...and I'm kinda sweating over how I would find it....also...do you think it would be possible to do the whole A-level off your own back or is that NEC really neccessary- (their fees are putting me off:p: )

ReputationRep:
    ure tutor can write u ref if ure in his/her good books! good luck!!!!!!!!!1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Username*)
    I might do something similar next year (if I decide not to go uni this year)....And I was wondering, what is it like doing your maths A-level. You see I havent done maths for 2 years now...and I'm kinda sweating over how I would find it....also...do you think it would be possible to do the whole A-level off your own back or is that NEC really neccessary- (their fees are putting me off:p: )
    I hadn't done maths for 3 years since GCSE level. It wasn't that hard to pick up, hardly any of it is related to GCSE.

All i would say about the fees is that you can't expect to do it on the cheap, A-levels are hard work and you need guidance. I think the books cost about £600 in total, but its for 1 or 2 years depending on how long you take, so its what, £25 or £50 a month? Its not much.

And let me say re: hard work, its very mentally challenging more than anything, to push yourself to work on your own, but worth it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.