Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My rear drums have started scraping and from reading through the maintenance/service history of my car I cannot see when they were last seen to. Front end is fine... discs and pads were only done about 5000 miles ago.

We have a car lift at home (don't ask :p:) so usually stuff like this is easy to do, but my dad is busy at the moment and I would need his help.

For the sake of convenience I thought I'd take advantage of one of these free checks that many of the servicing places are now offering, and then do the work myself or take it to a cheaper place should they need doing.

Just now I quickly booked a check with Kwik-Fit for tomorrow, but a quick google later revealed some horror stories about them purposefully scratching discs to create problems, etc, and generally doing a shoddy job at simply taking a few things apart and putting them back together again that I'm just going to forget the appointment there. I know this is just a few cases out of probably many satisfied customers, but I really can't be bothered with any hassle this weekend, and don't want them touching my reasonably new discs either!

So where else would anyone suggest going?

There's a Nationwide Autocentre on my route tomorrow morning and I know they offer a similar free service. Worth letting them have a poke for 15 mins?

And I do realise that them scraping means that they almost definitely need doing, but this seems like a good lazy way to see the drums and confirm before I buy parts

ReputationRep:
    Actually, nvm. Just taken it out for a spin now that the roads are quiet and its worse than I thought it was earlier. Gonna sort them this weekend

ReputationRep:
    Got a Haynes Manual?

You can probably sort it in the morning not a tricky job, but pretty manky. If you raise the car up, make sure you cover your mouth and nose when removing the drums because brake dust is pretty nasty and you don't want it in your lungs...

ReputationRep:
    Might be just a remove and refit, just clear all the crap out the drums. If its metal on metal contact get a jack and some axel stands and do it yourself!

ReputationRep:
    If its metal on metal contact you need to insure that you have not caused stressing to the drums and pad holders by looking at the oxide colours on the brakes. You don't want to thermally stress the drums/brakes and for them to fail!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.