Turn on thread page Beta

3rd Year "Interrupting Studies" Dilemma watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm having some major problems in my third year at university.

Due to deep personal problems, I stopped attending classes in December and so found myself being deregistered from one course and failing on the other two. It was then thought that the best thing to do would be to start my third year afresh in September '10.

However, after speaking with my personal tutor, she informs me that I will only be able to receive 40% for any classes I "completed" and it seems as though the course from which I was deregistered from I will not even be able to resit.

This leaves me in a position whereby going into the 3rd year I will essentially be missing out on 25% of possible grading (the course from which I was deregistered from is a double unit module). 25% would also only allow me a bare pass at 40%; leaving me with only 50% to try and maintain some sort of decent grade.

With regards to "resitting" my modules, one of them is a film production course; I'd be making two films with two people; I would only be able to get 40%. Now where's the motivation in that. Who would want to work with someone who is only going to receive such a mark, and therefore you'd imagine would not put 100% effort in.

What I want to do is start my 3rd year afresh. My personal advisor is being really vague in terms of what I can/ cannot do. I'm sure there must be a way I can start the 3rd year from scratch. Whilst I would love to stay on my University, the chances of me achieving a high grade are dramatically down if my options are as slim as it currently appears.

At this stage I'm considering getting in touch with other universities to see if I can get onto a third year programme. I just don't know if this is possible?

Thanks for reading if you got this far and any response/ help/ advice I would be great.

ReputationRep:
    In the vast majority of cases you CANNOT just decide your going to repeat years or whatever. As you obviously didn't discuss with the university and have agreed you not doing the parts of the course you've missed, you've been award 0 for them and will only be able to get 40% in a resit, which is only fair, as the rest of your course had to do them when you should of being doing it.

The motivation is for you needing to get the degree far more than they need to give you one. You've screwed up, and your learning screw ups don't come without some form of cost. Do you not realise how unfair it would be if universities just let you resit years/modules as you pleased? This isn't high school!

You ****** up, you'll have to deal with the consequences I'm afraid. I don't think any other universities would take you at this stage either, and even if they did you would either have to start your degree from scratch, or continue under the current conditions elsewhere. There's no easy way out.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

thanks for the response.

Otu, I've taken what you've said on board. I can see your point of view, but you have to realize it's not been easy for me.

Without wanting to go into details, I think I may have a chance with the mitigating circumstances as mentioned by Ham22.

Ham22, I presume some sort of effort is required to gain the mitigating circumstances- proof of counseling sessions etc?

I am taking ownership and responsibility, but I don't want to f*** up my degree in the face of tragic circumstances.

Right, well I'll get in touch with the relevant people and see where I can go from here!

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, I can understand your situation, and some people on this site need to stop being so elitist. You have personal problems and therefore you university should have given you 2 written warnings and then you should provide evidence such as a medical certificate to keep your head above water and attend 'some;' lectures thereafter , enough for them not to be able to chuck you out, you should submit work only for those courses which are core and ignore the optional ones if they are getting in the way. You need an average of 39.5 % to qualify for a degree overall , which is below a pass of 40% . I understand where you are coming from as I have fallen pregnant in my final year at uni and my uni have forced me out as I am due in exam time.I have decided not to continue this year and interrupt my studies to safeguard my degree but take some time out for 12 months. This has the consequence of paying the student loan for this term back unless you can get discretionary funding from your LEA under medical circumstances like I am and they will decide if you can keep a portion of the loan and add it to the rest of your student loan debt which gets paid back when you earn 15k.

Hope you can sort things out Best of luck! x
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by uber-liam)
    Hi,

thanks for the response.

Otu, I've taken what you've said on board. I can see your point of view, but you have to realize it's not been easy for me.

Without wanting to go into details, I think I may have a chance with the mitigating circumstances as mentioned by Ham22.

Ham22, I presume some sort of effort is required to gain the mitigating circumstances- proof of counseling sessions etc?

I am taking ownership and responsibility, but I don't want to f*** up my degree in the face of tragic circumstances.

Right, well I'll get in touch with the relevant people and see where I can go from here!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I was very unwell during my final year of uni so I know how you feel. Normally to obtain mitigating circumstances for coursework/exams, you have to apply before the work is due, you cannot apply in retrospect. Because I knew there was no way I could get my work done on time and properly without making myself even more ill, I had to fill in forms then hand in a doctor's note signing me off work/uni for x amount of weeks and a note from my counsellor as supporting evidence, then discuss with my personal tutor whether it would be feasible for me to sit upcoming exams or hand in coursework, and if not, when I thought I would be able to do so.

The upshot of all this was that I had medical exemption from two exams (thus got an uncapped resit later) and got extensions on some coursework, but as I had to start my dissertation a semester later than my coursemates and missed one module in its entirety I ended up taking an extra semester without financial aid (my LEA are b*****ds!). My university were brilliantly understanding and helpful as I had followed the correct procedures, which, when I look back, was a bit of a miracle! As you're applying in retrospect, your situation may not be the same, but I really hope it is. Good luck.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.