Turn on thread page Beta

My Mental Health watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi SR

I realise that this is my first post but i need reliable help.

Im 16. I have been throught alot in the past few years including my parents cheating, my dad attempting suicide, me cutting my dad down from a noose in our house, me talking my dad off of the wrong side of the railway bridge. My dad has tried killing my mother several times also.

I have not seen my dad in over 3 years as he is in prison. He had his first paroll hearing today. He was toled he was still to dangerous to be allowed to walk the streets.

This has upset me to an extent that i just want to curl up into a ball and die.

PLease help me

Richard Howe

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you've had to deal with a lot. I'd say it's perfectly reasonable for someone who's had such a difficult time as you have to deal with the repercussions of it.

The first thing to remember is that none of this is your fault. You couldn't help what's happened to your dad, and despite you being preoccupied by him in the past, I think now you need to start focusing on you and working things out in your head.

Please, please go and see your GP and let him/her know how you're feeling. Let them know about your family history so they can take you seriously and understand that your feelings need to be addressed as quickly as possible. There's no shame in admitting that things are getting you down, and wanting to fix them for yourself. Find someone to talk to; perhaps a counsellor or a therapist. It sounds like you might need to do a lot of work to come to terms with your past, and this might take time, but it will help to have someone to talk to about things.

Remember that you're not alone. I'm sure there are people close to you that care about your safety and your wellbeing, even if you don't realise it. You are never without someone to listen to you, even if it's someone on a helpline.

Apologies if I'm being preachy, but I really hope you find happiness eventually and you can start to find a way through it. Often admitting you're feeling crap is the first step towards feeling better. If you want a website I'm familiar with that has a big community for people struggling with all different types of mental health problems, traumas etc, pm me and I'll let you know. The people there are amazing and can offer support when you feel like there's no one left.

Be safe and hang in there.

ReputationRep:
    Pigwigeon - I have consulted my gp several times and explained - mainly due to my lack of sleep and he insists i am just *over reacting* counceling is no good. i have had to many bad experiances with them. What i need is my dad.... he was my rock. And without that rock to lean against im just fallig over. x

Richard

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.