Turn on thread page Beta

Mother's and father's right to abortion? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Why is it that if a woman wants an abortion but the father doesn't... she's still allowed to have the abortion?

Yet, if the man wants his baby aborted and the mother doesn't... she's still allowed to have the baby, AND ask the father to pay out for child support.

If the baby is a shared responsability, why is there such heavy discrimination against fathers and their right to ALSO decide what happens to their genetic material?

Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    Because men aren't shoving 6lbs of human through their vaginas because, they don't have vaginas.

No vagina = not your decision to make!

ReputationRep:
    While it's still inside the mother, it's up to her what she does with it. It's part of her while she is pregnant so it would be wrong to make her go through with something she didn't want to, or make her get rid of it.

men coukld just use condoms and they wouldnt have anything to moan about

ReputationRep:
    Because life is unfair

Why is it that when a couple wants a baby, the WOMAN has to make it?

ReputationRep:
    When you have sex you are accepting that there is a possibility (however small) that you will concieve. The man has already made his decision that there may be a baby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    Because life is unfair

That is nature's fault I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Because men aren't shoving 6lbs of human through their vaginas because, they don't have vaginas.

No vagina = not your decision to make!
    This. My vagina = my decision.

Although you'd expect that if 2 people decided to have sex they'd have discussed whether they want children at that stage in their lives or not. High expectations, I know :rolleyes:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    men coukld just use condoms and they wouldnt have anything to moan about
    Since when is only the man's responsibility to use contraception?

ReputationRep:
    Because men don't have to carry the baby for 9 months or give birth to it.

I think I've heard someone relating childbirth to a man trying to push a golf ball out of his penis :/ I doubt many guys would want to do that..

But, If the father didn't want the baby, i dont think he should have to pay child support and stuff until the child grows up, but imo he should at least just be there to help during the pregnancy..

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably bet on if women couldn't legally abort without consent of the father there would be a lot more illegal abortions which will end up a lot more dangerous.

When you have sex you are accepting that there is a possibility (however small) that you will concieve.
    It's almost like 'accepting terms and conditions' without properly reading then finding yourself in a situation of which you probably should've read them

ReputationRep:
    Because life is unfair

(Original post by HotCoco.)
    That is nature's fault I'm afraid.
    Woah, it's the other way round, you're the lucky ones that get to experience the joy of carrying and nurturing a life from within! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin_123)
    Woah, it's the other way round, you're the lucky ones that get to experience the joy of carrying and nurturing a life from within! :yep:
    No thank you.

ReputationRep:
    It's easier for a guy to walk away from a pregnancy than it is for a woman...(once its past the abortion stage). Someone I know was pregnant and had an abortion, her boyfriend was against abortion and so wanted to keep the baby..I don't think he told her though because he wanted to be supportive of her decision or upset her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin_123)
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Well I have no magic solution for the first problem, when the man wants the baby and the woman wants an abortion. But if the man wants to abort his child and the woman doesn't then I think that he should have the right not to be a father even if only for legal reasons. In this case the father should be able to sign some form saying that he didn't want the child, the mother does want it and so she has full responsibility when it's born.

But then as said above, life isn't fair!

(Original post by aaran-j)
    Since when is only the man's responsibility to use contraception?
    i didnt say it was ONLY the mans. i said if the men did, they wouldnt have anything to moan about later on

ReputationRep:
    Its the womens body but she should also be responsible and not get pregnant. But a women can't be forced into having an abortion, It can have negative effects mentally.

ReputationRep:
    Nah.
    Maybe actually "counter" an argument instead of just saying "no" unless you know you're actually wrong, in which case you shouldn't be saying "no".

ReputationRep:
    Men don't have to carry the baby for nine months and give birth to it. When it comes to abortion, men will always have very little to say about it, because it's completely wrong to force someone to abort a child that they want to have. If a father wants a baby and the mother doesn't, I'm afraid there's nothing he can do about her getting an abortion or not.
    Sorry guys, it's just something that you're usually not going get your way with, I know it's unfair, but it's how it is :\

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.