Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Don't know what to do with my... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    life. at all.

I've applied to university, but I'm not sure that I want to do the course.
    There is no course I'd fancy taking other than this, but still the intended course is not one I feel really passionate about.
    I'm not sure if therefore it is worth the time/effort/money doing it, if it's something i'm not overly keen on.
    However, If I don't go, I have no idea what else I will do. I don't want to take a gap year because I know I won't get back into education, however I don't want to drop my education and get a dead end job.
    I wouldn't even mind getting a job if it meant I could progress futher in the company, however I'm then unsure about what sort of company to work for.
    Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    You could run weight watchers meetings!!! You've practically started already!

(Original post by AdviceSeeker09)
    Any suggestions?
    Sounds exactly like me when I was going to University.

You've got more options than you think!

I don't want to take a gap year because I know I won't get back into education, however I don't want to drop my education and get a dead end job.
    Why wouldn't you get back into education? I say absolutely take a gap year - travel overseas and do some volunteering!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenny28)
    You could run weight watchers meetings!!! You've practically started already!
    Ha maybe! :P lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortysixandtwo)
    Sounds exactly like me when I was going to University.

You've got more options than you think!

Why wouldn't you get back into education? I say absolutely take a gap year - travel overseas and do some volunteering!
    I just think after I've worked for a year and got used to the money I wouldn't want to go back to nothing. The travelling overseas does sound good, I just feel pressurised into conforming with the whole 'go to uni, get a degree, get a job' attitude

ReputationRep:
    i feel like this a lot. get a project, that's what helps me. just finding anything to do and doing it makes me feel like i've done something, or i've got something to do, and it makes me feel less pointless for a while. even just finding something origami to make or something.

apart from that, it sounds like you've chosen the best course for you for uni, and uni isn't just for studying - when you get there, there's so much to do right on your doorstep, new friends, clubs to join, and if you are moving away then a whole new area to find out about. maybe the change will help you feel better? sometimes change kickstarts me.

and often, a uni degree is needed these days for any job, and you will have something to show for your work.

(I also have to say, the weightwatchers idea is great.)

I just think after I've worked for a year and got used to the money I wouldn't want to go back to nothing. The travelling overseas does sound good, I just feel pressurised into conforming with the whole 'go to uni, get a degree, get a job' attitude
    Yeah I was too. The reality is that you're the creator of your future so if you only think in terms of school or a job then you aren't giving yourself many options.

There's so many things you could do - be creative and use your imagination!

ReputationRep:
    purple pan gives good advice. just really try and focus on the present, what you really want to do right at this moment instead of way beyond into the future, and keep doing it, and your instincts will take you along the right direction

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purple_Pan)
    i feel like this a lot. get a project, that's what helps me. just finding anything to do and doing it makes me feel like i've done something, or i've got something to do, and it makes me feel less pointless for a while. even just finding something origami to make or something.

apart from that, it sounds like you've chosen the best course for you for uni, and uni isn't just for studying - when you get there, there's so much to do right on your doorstep, new friends, clubs to join, and if you are moving away then a whole new area to find out about. maybe the change will help you feel better? sometimes change kickstarts me.

and often, a uni degree is needed these days for any job, and you will have something to show for your work.

(I also have to say, the weightwatchers idea is great.)
    Hm yeah thats a good idea. I just seem to be 'going through the motions' at the moment and I'd always dreamed of these big ambitions that just aren't happening.

Yeah i'd love to move away and become more independant - therefore uni would help this. I guess going to the uni is the best thing, I just don't want to drop out after a while and waste time.

Thanks a lot for the advice! Hm perhaps branch off from weight watchers and make my own brand lol x

ReputationRep:
    what course have you applied for? may i ask lol

ReputationRep:
    Hm yeah thats a good idea. I just seem to be 'going through the motions' at the moment and I'd always dreamed of these big ambitions that just aren't happening.

Yeah i'd love to move away and become more independant - therefore uni would help this. I guess going to the uni is the best thing, I just don't want to drop out after a while and waste time.

Thanks a lot for the advice! Hm perhaps branch off from weight watchers and make my own brand lol x
    Start your own weight watchers society at whatever uni you end up in :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skye333)
    what course have you applied for? may i ask lol
    You can lol Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    You can lol Psychology.
    ahh cool.

I'm doing AS now, I do not have a clue either. I think I would forget everything I learnt if I took a gap year though

If it's the course that stands out the most and you want to go to uni I think that's pretty good - it'll help you loads later, gets you to uni and you actually have something that appeals to you.

Yes, I think I'm going through a end-of-teenage-years crisis or something, you realise some dreams are never going to happen, or maybe I'm just pessimistic :rolleyes: goodluck though!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.