The Student Room Group

Are these good A-Level choices for someone who wants to be a stockbroker?

I would like to be a stockbroker in the future and I'm currently trying to decide on A-Level choices. I was going to do Maths, Economics, Business Studies and History. Would these be a good decision? I also want to go to a good university later on. I'm talking about one of the top ones like Cambridge, Oxford, Durham etc. Would these A-Levels be appealing to them?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Perfect selection imo, all will eventually become useful when you become a stockbroker.
Reply 2
Business Studies is a doss subject and is like Economics for Dummies.
Reply 3
DO NOT DO BOTH ECONOMICS AND BUSINESS STUDIES, MOST UNIVERSITIES INCLUDING OXBRIDGE DO NOT COUNT THEM AS TWO A LEVELS. Maths economics and history are 3 very good choices though.
would suggest further maths AS instead of business studies tbh..
I think those are good choices!!
Reply 6
Dont Do Business Studies!
Reply 7
I think that there is too much overlap between Business Studies and Econ. For a quantatitive course at a top university, I would advise you to choose Further Maths over Business Studies.
Reply 8
Mark93
I would like to be a stockbroker in the future and I'm currently trying to decide on A-Level choices. I was going to do Maths, Economics, Business Studies and History. Would these be a good decision? I also want to go to a good university later on. I'm talking about one of the top ones like Cambridge, Oxford, Durham etc. Would these A-Levels be appealing to them?

seriously, business studies is very overrated. the first q in the AS AQA exam was" what are the successful characteristics of an entrepreneur?

I mean its not like anyone is going to be like dderrrrr erm stupid, rude and fearful.
Why would anyone want to be a stockbroker? It's hardly an interesting career choice.
Reply 10
Mark93

They sound like great choices to me, and providing you get the grades Im sure Oxford or Cambridge will welome you with open arms :smile:.
It is a great selection of A levels and the knowledge you'll gain from these will definatly help you pepare for your future career.

I don't know why people say 'so and so is a doss subject' as to me it makes me think they are narrow minded, especially when the people saying it dont do the subject :/ Im not talking about anyone in particular it is just a generalisation, and personal experience.

I know many people who do Buisiness Studies and they say it's certainly challenging. But do what you want to do, most colleges make you drop a subject after the first year anyway to focus on A2, but if you find you don't like BS, im sure your college will let you switch to something else.

I wouldn't advise doing Math AND Further Math, do one or the other - I made a similar mistake of doing Combined English Language and Literature AND English Literature...I dropped the latter.

Hope that helped? Good luck deciding :smile:
Reply 11
domino0806
Why would anyone want to be a stockbroker? It's hardly an interesting career choice.

What's wrong with it?
It's each to their own, Im sure you wouldn't like it if people questioned your career choice. :confused:
Plus, we all can't do the same job - otherwise we'd be in trouble :p:
Reply 12
domino0806

I wouldn't want to either, but I'm sure that other people think differently.

I must say I agree with others who have posted here, too much overlap between economics and business studies. I'd suggest taking something else instead of one of these.
Reply 13
I would suggest doing Further Maths instead of Business Studies. Firstly because it will enhance your quantitative skills and provide better preparation for, say, an Economics course a top university. Secondly, because there is apparently a lot of overlap between Economics and Business Studies. Finally, because Business Studies is often interpreted as a "softer" subject compared to the others you have listed, and whilst I'm in no place to comment on how true this assessment is (I don't do it), it has been made pretty clear by university admissions.

e.g. http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604
Reply 14
Thanks everyone. What you wrote has been really helpful. I'm thinking I'm not going to do Business Studies anymore but I'm still trying to decide what to do instead. I know there have been several suggestions of double maths but I don't want to have maths taking up half my timetable.

Has anyone got any other A-Level suggestions that would go well with the other three and be useful for becoming a stockbroker?

Thanks
Reply 15
Mark93
Thanks everyone. What you wrote has been really helpful. I'm thinking I'm not going to do Business Studies anymore but I'm still trying to decide what to do instead. I know there have been several suggestions of double maths but I don't want to have maths taking up half my timetable.

Has anyone got any other A-Level suggestions that would go well with the other three and be useful for becoming a stockbroker?

Thanks

Can't tell you specifically for stockbroker, but have you thought about politics?

Latest

Trending

Trending