Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm totally clueless but I'm trying to get my finances sorted for uni as early as possible so I'm not running around and squawking about it during my summer exams.

First of all, I live in Wales. So I apply with Student Finance Wales (I assume). I have no idea when is an appropriate time to do this.

Imperial College is my firm and Cardiff is my insurance. As Imperial is in London, you get more money from the loan, right? But if in August I don't get the grades and I go to Cardiff, do they know and switch the loan down to the amound I get for going to university in Wales?

Will changing my bank account to a student account help?

Finally, I live with my mother and my stepdad lives in London because he works there and comes up to Wales for weekends. It says as that my household income, as a dependant student, is based upon what my mother earns. However, my stedpad is the main supporter of the family and he earns over £50,000 (so I've been told) which means I won't have any means-assessed money. I want to know if his income counts towards my household income seeing as he doesn't live here, or whether it would just be my mother's income.

Thanks for any help you can give!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Batmaz)
    I'm totally clueless but I'm trying to get my finances sorted for uni as early as possible so I'm not running around and squawking about it during my summer exams.

First of all, I live in Wales. So I apply with Student Finance Wales (I assume). I have no idea when is an appropriate time to do this.

Imperial College is my firm and Cardiff is my insurance. As Imperial is in London, you get more money from the loan, right? But if in August I don't get the grades and I go to Cardiff, do they know and switch the loan down to the amound I get for going to university in Wales?

Will changing my bank account to a student account help?

Finally, I live with my mother and my stepdad lives in London because he works there and comes up to Wales for weekends. It says as that my household income, as a dependant student, is based upon what my mother earns. However, my stedpad is the main supporter of the family and he earns over £50,000 (so I've been told) which means I won't have any means-assessed money. I want to know if his income counts towards my household income seeing as he doesn't live here, or whether it would just be my mother's income.

Thanks for any help you can give!
    If he lives with you mother on a permenate basis his income of 50k will count towards you assessed income.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharp910sh)
    If he lives with you mother on a permenate basis his income of 50k will count towards you assessed income.
    He lives most of the week in London, so not with us, he only stays here at weekends. The house me and mum live in is probably paid for mostly by him though, most of the household income comes from him but he doesn't actually live there. It's a bit of a weird situation :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Batmaz)
    He lives most of the week in London, so not with us, he only stays here at weekends. The house me and mum live in is probably paid for mostly by him though, most of the household income comes from him but he doesn't actually live there. It's a bit of a weird situation :rolleyes:
    is he registered to live there on the voting thing? voting register?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharp910sh)
    is he registered to live there on the voting thing? voting register?
    I don't know, I'll have to check that out.

ReputationRep:
    Unless your sponsors (i.e. mother and step-father) are legally divorced or separated then his income will need to be provided I'm afraid.

Think about it. (Hint: 'However, my stedpad is the main supporter of the family')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASCIIcipher)
    Unless your sponsors (i.e. mother and step-father) are legally divorced or separated then his income will need to be provided I'm afraid.

Think about it. (Hint: 'However, my stedpad is the main supporter of the family')
    That's what I had assumed, but the information on the internet made me doubt it, I wanted some confirmation from people who knew what they were on about it

ReputationRep:
    Also, does anyone know anything about student bank accounts? I have my current account with Lloyds TSB and my savings accout with the Halifax and I was wondering if either of those do good student accounts, or if it's worth switching banks?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.