Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Username*)
    not that I would want to add any pressure or anything but......I doubt that hardly anyone has EVER got 3 A*s....ever!
    Wrong. Quite a few of us here would have got 3A*s had there been the A* grade in. Some of us even would have got 5A*s so its not impossible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Hey, it's still good! It shows they're confident in you! I would love to have an A*A*A* offer :sigh:
    Aw I'm sorry, that's why I've tried to stay upbeat about it. To be honest, the more I know, the more I think it's a bit of a lottery with offers. I'm sure you were an awesome candidate!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It could be lupus)
    Wrong. Quite a few of us here would have got 3A*s had there been the A* grade in. Some of us even would have got 5A*s so its not impossible
    Good to know I'm sure quite a lot of people will get those sorts of grades, it's just a bit daunting, especially in english-y subjects!

ReputationRep:
    haha....well basically i have been waiting for ages for an offer from reading for primary education with english. i got my application in quite early, beginning of october time yet one of my friends (who sent hers in at the end of october) has recieved an interview a few weeks ago while i have heard absolutely zilch!! considering that i will have to have an interview before the deadline time which is only a month and a half away, do u think that i should ring up reading and inquire. a letter may have got lost due to the snow (this is me being hopeful). or do u think i should just be patient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlotteCoster)
    haha....well basically i have been waiting for ages for an offer from reading for primary education with english. i got my application in quite early, beginning of october time yet one of my friends (who sent hers in at the end of october) has recieved an interview a few weeks ago while i have heard absolutely zilch!! considering that i will have to have an interview before the deadline time which is only a month and a half away, do u think that i should ring up reading and inquire. a letter may have got lost due to the snow (this is me being hopeful). or do u think i should just be patient.
    Definitely ring them if you're worried about it! There's nothing to lose

ReputationRep:
    I think this is something to do with John's - someone at my school has A*A*A + 1,1 in step 2/3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _tiggy_)
    Good to know I'm sure quite a lot of people will get those sorts of grades, it's just a bit daunting, especially in english-y subjects!
    That is true. Its mainly us medics who had mentioned about the fact that we were all getting 3A*s or more. I would have got 5A*s myself, though this does not mean I would have like the pressure.

Just do your best and work hard

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you're checking your UCAS and it hasn't changed, I'd wait a while longer; the deadline only passed today so it could be that they're just waiting for any stragglers. I have a friend who's applied for primary ed and hasn't heard from all of her choices yet.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you're checking your UCAS and it hasn't changed, I'd wait a while longer; the deadline only passed today so it could be that they're just waiting for any stragglers. I have a friend who's applied for primary ed and hasn't heard from all of her choices yet.
    i didn't think that interviews normally came up on UCAS because you had forms to fill in and stuff. otherwise i would be less worried. i think they only put it on there when they give you an actual offer. thats what my friends have found anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undulipodium)
    I think this is something to do with John's - someone at my school has A*A*A + 1,1 in step 2/3.
    Yeah, I haven't heard of any other colleges making an offer like this, but it's John's that I fell in love with, so I can't regret applying there

(Original post by It could be lupus)
    That is true. Its mainly us medics who had mentioned about the fact that we were all getting 3A*s or more. I would have got 5A*s myself, though this does not mean I would have like the pressure.
    Just do your best and work hard
    Wow, okay that's a little scary but I guess it shows that it can be done And thanks, that's the plan Love your name by the way!!

ReputationRep:
    i didn't think that interviews normally came up on UCAS because you had forms to fill in and stuff. otherwise i would be less worried. i think they only put it on there when they give you an actual offer. thats what my friends have found anyway
    Oh yeah, I suppose so. Sorry, I wasn't sure. Well, you could try calling them just to find out. I have an aversion to telephones, so it's a last resort for me, but you've nothing to lose I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, I suppose so. Sorry, I wasn't sure. Well, you could try calling them just to find out. I have an aversion to telephones, so it's a last resort for me, but you've nothing to lose I suppose.
    i know what you mean...it terrifies me too haha. thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    i know what you mean...it terrifies me too haha. thanks for the advice
    No problem, I doubt it was very useful really Anyway, best of luck, I hope you hear soon!

ReputationRep:
    So if one is accepted, they can request feedback then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fumblewomble)
    I love the fact that this thread is so off topic!!

OP they've given you that offer as a challenge - they want you to work really hard this year. I suggest that you do work really hard and do your best to make it and guarantee your place.

The question will be what they will do if you miss and I'm afraid that there is no way of knowing that unless it happens. It will depend on what they really think of you and how many of their other offer-holders miss the conditions. What you need to do is to make sure that if you do miss you don't miss by very much as the better you do, the more likely they will be to let you in even if you don't get all the A*'s.

I would avoid asking for feedback at this stage. Obviously you must have impressed them in order to get an offer so you have every reason to feel good about how it went and concentrate on your school work.

Good luck! If you work really hard it can only be a good thing.
    Thanks, good advice I'm trying to chill out a little more and accept that I'm doing all that I can to meet the offer. Hopefully I'll make it, but if I don't I'm sure my insurance will be good too (whatever I choose...). I'm thinking I might be able to ask in August if I don't make it for a better explanation of the offer they made me anyway

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, good advice I'm trying to chill out a little more and accept that I'm doing all that I can to meet the offer. Hopefully I'll make it, but if I don't I'm sure my insurance will be good too (whatever I choose...). I'm thinking I might be able to ask in August if I don't make it for a better explanation of the offer they made me anyway
    I am sure you will make it. Mine from St Johns is A*A*A - maybe they forget to type * on the last one :p: Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumb Economist)
    I am sure you will make it. Mine from St Johns is A*A*A - maybe they forget to type * on the last one :p: Good luck
    Haha I hope not, for your sake!! Well thanks anyway, and good luck to you too. Everything crossed that we see each other next year!

ReputationRep:
    sorry this has absolutely nothing to do with the convo...but how on earth did u get an unconditional to cambridge but not get into st andrew's!!!???
    ha, I think my interview was strong... other than that I can't say !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fumblewomble)
    These things are checked a million times (well maybe that's a slight exaggeration...) before the letters are sent out since they have to honor whatever they say even if they made a mistake - once you have a letter that is a guarantee that if you make the grades (and any other conditions) they specify you will be allowed to start the course in the year they've said!
    Thks - my statement was in a lighter way. frankly the conditions asked is realistic and I have no complaints.

ReputationRep:
    Tiggy, maybe it's John's? They made me an offer of 42/45 in the IB (to give you an idea of what this is like, the UCAS tariff table considers this to be equivalent to about 4-and-a-half A*s) and that was for Music! Luckily I already got it (sat in November 09) but still I was shocked!!!

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.