Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone
    for all those out there doing law at sussex, i would love your advice!

im aware that cambridge/oxford/durham etc are really good for law, but not so great for the social side of being a student :/ (in my opinion, and from my experience of a social life, im sure the people there enjoy it etc etc)

was just wondering, are those studying law at sussex finding it a good course etc.
    also, i was told that any uni who doesnt require an LNAT test isnt worth doing law at, but i dont know anyone doing law

how do people find the nightlife? is there loads going on in brighton? hows the worklife/social life balance??

thanks

ReputationRep:
    i also got into sussex for law, and would like these questions answered:P, i am an international student. I have heard loads of good things about brighton but still want to know more

ReputationRep:
    Have you had a look at the university guide on TSR?

ReputationRep:
    yeah but the responses are quiet mixed so its a tad bit confusing

ReputationRep:
    hi there, i think i can help a little.

law at sussex is taught my lecturers who clearly know what they're talking about (i haven't been doing public law because i'm doing law with anthropology so i don't know what the lecturer is like) but basically you don't have to worry too much about your tutors and staff, they're all very approachable and have flexible office hours and are always willing to help. that's of course unless you haven't been attending seminars...they can be strict on that.

the mix of students on the course is wonderful - my favourite are the international crowd, they're extremely friendly and clever (much cleverer than the rest of us i think) and there are quite a few public school kids who blatantly got rejected from cambridge or somewhere and are now a little bitter but they're not too bad. just stuck up a little. there are some people though that i know for a fat got into the course with BBB or BBBD and things which makes me wonder why their entry requirements are even AAB at all.

on the social side of things, the student law body often arrange nights out in town and things (often starting at pubs then heading down to oceana or somewhere), and try and get medical students involved as well, but for some reason lawyers are a bit antisocial and not many people turn up to these events which makes me feel bad for the guys who spend ages organising everything!

there's masses to do in brighton, although of course nothing in comparison to london. lots of indie kids, bands, live music, comedy nights if that floats your boat. the laines is a great boho sort of place in particular, the cafes are crammed with students.

law is very hard though, and very very dry. you've got to keep up with it and go to the library and read long boring (and very old) journal articles for seminars. also, for seminars you get picked on quite a lot if you stay silent - participation is a must.

hope that helped a little - feel free to message for more answers!

ReputationRep:
    ahh, thank you so much!

i went to sussex in year 10 for an open day and have visited quite a few universities since but i just dont get the same good vibes as i did with sussex, so im definately hoping to go there

im such a geek lol but i do like to have fun aswell, so spending half my life in the library doesnt bother me too much. a bit scared about having the join in the seminars, but i suppose if everyones being picked on it should be fine...or maybe ill hide at the back lol

when i visited with school in year 10 we were shown around east slope, but that was almost 3 years ago, so i dont remember all that much of what it was like. east slope is my first choice at the moment, but ive heard mixed opinions and a few horror stories about the place lol any idea what its like?

thanks so much, youve been so helpful x

ReputationRep:
    Yes East Slope is the cheapest at the moment and therefore some people view it as crap, but the people I know who live in there quite like it - apparently it's very social, lots of parties going on and things. I've never been there, I've been in Park Village and Norwich House. I like Norwich House the best, one girl's bedroom was absolutely massive! And she managed to get it by pure luck - it's about three or four times bigger than her flat mate's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisydaisyxx)
    Yes East Slope is the cheapest at the moment and therefore some people view it as crap, but the people I know who live in there quite like it - apparently it's very social, lots of parties going on and things. I've never been there, I've been in Park Village and Norwich House. I like Norwich House the best, one girl's bedroom was absolutely massive! And she managed to get it by pure luck - it's about three or four times bigger than her flat mate's.

Hi! I know you posted this a while ago so I don't know if my response is relevant but I studied Law at Sussex and I also stayed in Norwich House. The rooms are decent sized compared to others and also considering that the rent is quite cheap compared to en suite rooms. Wouldn't recommend Norwich House though! Not very social and the whole building was grotty and dirty. Didn't really enjoy my time there and it definitely made my uni experience a lot harder.

As for law, I have moments where I hate it because of how challenging it is but that's all part of the fun for me. Keeps me excited and under pressure and that's when I work best. It's also really exciting espesh when you can relate it to daily experiences and sound really smart quoting cases haha.
    Good luck if you're waiting on results!!

ReputationRep:
    I was in UEA for Law and found the teaching staff to be somewhat dense to be quite honest and this is brought into realisation now that they have an open book policy across their law school! However, I went to Sussex after dropping UEA and i would say that it is a fantastic law school with very supportive staff and good career prospects for sure. I would most definitely recommend this university. For me i returned to education slightly later in life but Law at Sussex is very well taught and will bring you back to the basics before advancing into the more serious stuff. One word of advice, when you are in your first year dont look at the exam papers online... its such a put off and you find yourself dreding it all year. You look at the mountain at the start and feel you will never climb it, but you will! Good luck and hope 2 see u in sussex!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1000)
    Hi! I know you posted this a while ago so I don't know if my response is relevant but I studied Law at Sussex and I also stayed in Norwich House. The rooms are decent sized compared to others and also considering that the rent is quite cheap compared to en suite rooms. Wouldn't recommend Norwich House though! Not very social and the whole building was grotty and dirty. Didn't really enjoy my time there and it definitely made my uni experience a lot harder.

As for law, I have moments where I hate it because of how challenging it is but that's all part of the fun for me. Keeps me excited and under pressure and that's when I work best. It's also really exciting espesh when you can relate it to daily experiences and sound really smart quoting cases haha.
    Good luck if you're waiting on results!!

hi! im starting law at sussex this september and have also been given norwich house as my accomm. (NOT BY CHOICE. haha) did you think it was really awful? what were the facilities like etc? im soo worried coz i havent seen it haha.
    ps. im useless on here so if you can plz facebook me, im "lucie pateman"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisydaisyxx)

how did you get to see norwich house and what did you think of it? i've been given it (not by choice) and havent had a chance to see it haha! im soo worried :/ ahhh. im useless on here as well facebook if you have it "lucie pateman"

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 7, 2010

University open days

1. University of Sussex
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.