Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Right to appeal? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I have applied to the top grammar school in the country, but was just wondering, if I don't get in and I get straight A*s in my GCSEs, then do you think if I appealed they would give me a place?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Maybe, I guess you'd have nothing to lose - but is it really worth it? There are plenty of decent sixth forms/colleges to do your A levels at
    How well you do depends more on the student really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zottula)
    Maybe, I guess you'd have nothing to lose - but is it really worth it? There are plenty of decent sixth forms/colleges to do your A levels at
    How well you do depends more on the student really
    Do you think I'd have a realistic chance though? The places they offer are numbered for obvious reasons, and they only take about 4 people from my school each year, but if I got straight A*s surely they would think I deserve a place at their school?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by LittleMissCurious)
    Do you think I'd have a realistic chance though? The places they offer are numbered for obvious reasons, and they only take about 4 people from my school each year, but if I got straight A*s surely they would think I deserve a place at their school?
    Well if you're a straight A* student then of course you have a chance! Just see what happens, you might get in straight away and not need to worry about appealing at all.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I have applied to the top grammar school in the country, but was just wondering, if I don't get in and I get straight A*s in my GCSEs, then do you think if I appealed they would give me a place?
    Just ringing them up on results day if you didnt get a place initially would be better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Just ringing them up on results day if you didnt get a place initially would be better.
    Why, is appealing different? I thought it was basically calling them up and asking them to give me a place with the grades that I have. And do you think that they would take me if I got straight A*s and rung them up on results day?

ReputationRep:
    Why, is appealing different? I thought it was basically calling them up and asking them to give me a place with the grades that I have. And do you think that they would take me if I got straight A*s and rung them up on results day?
    Well with appealing, your normally challenging the rejection and saying "i should have a place because..."
    However when phoning up on results day, your enquiring as to whether they have any space available. And as to whether they would take you with straight A*'s if you rung up, then that would depend on a) how competitive your subject choice is, and b) if they had any spaces. Chances are they might do.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.