Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100122/...i-45dbed5.html

Lisa Hayden-Johnson, from Brixham, Devon, was said to have "revelled" in the national attention her young son received.

The mother-of-two conned charities out of dream holidays, donations and meetings with royalty and former prime minister Tony Blair.

She even successfully lobbied for her son to receive a Child of Courage Award in 2005.

The 35-year-old was sentenced to three years and three months in prison at Exeter Crown Court, having previously admitted charges of child cruelty and perverting the course of justice.

Prosecutor Andrew Macfarlane said Hayden-Johnson "organised, orchestrated and ensured a regime of medical, physiological and psychological mistreatment amounting to 24 hour-a-day torture that touched on every aspect of his young vulnerable life".

She frequently described her son "as the most ill child in Britain", he told the court, adding: "As a result of her sadistic fabrication of non-existent symptoms, the defendant achieved much publicity and national attention, including an encounter with royalty and the then prime minister."

Hayden-Johnson subjected the child to a total of 325 medical encounters, Mr Macfarlane said, during which he was subjected to a series of "physical intrusions and interventions".

These included blood tests, intravenous treatments and a gastrostomy, and he was fed through a tube and confined to a wheelchair.

In the boy's room, police discovered a hospital bed, a feed pump, oxygen mask and medical supplies.

Mr Macfarlane said the boy, who was taken into care in October 2007, remained "convinced that he was chronically and seriously ill", adding that "the effect of all this on his long-term psyche is unclear".
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how the title of this thread relates to the news. If anything it should say "Mum jailed for child cruelty and conning charities". What a *****.

Oh hang on, i get it now.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh what an absolute ***** and an awful mother. How can you even do this?! Arrggh, first the story about the boys who tortured 2 other boys their age and now a perverse mother who pretended her child was ill for money grrrr :mad2: It makes me so angry!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.