Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have conditional offers from both universities of ABB to study Financial Economics and hopefully eventually do a Masters in Finance and go into investment banking. The issue I have is that Surrey is a BSc and Leicester is a BA.

The logical place to go would be Surrey because of its year in industry and the fact that it's a BSc, however Leicester is a much better university, and also I think I'm likely to get a 1st if I do a BA and a 2:1 if I do A BSc.

So, it all comes down to "a 2:1 in a BSc from a good university" or "a 1st in a BA from a very good university." I'm really torn between the two and am struggling to make a decision, so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Also, I love both universities and so am not bothered which one I go to in terms of night life and so on, so the decision will not be influenced in any way by the social aspect, just whichever course seems best.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest in my opinion leicester is a better UNi than Surrey for Economics. However the fact that it is a BSC in Surrey is crucial becaue firms accross the world are relocating to London and oversees firms generally have a stigma that a BSc surpasses a BA. If i had to make the choice ill choose Leicester though, herd it has a strong econ department. Sorry for the long winded answer.

ReputationRep:
    The year in industry is really good for employment prospects and the pay is also good.

ReputationRep:
    Any chance of switching to the BSc at Leicester?

ReputationRep:
    You might be able to switch your course to BSc when u get to Leicester.
    Ive also got a conditional offer from Leiceseter for BSc Economics, and i think you can do a placement abroad for your third year if you choose to, check out the site .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kunal27)
    You might be able to switch your course to BSc when u get to Leicester.
    Ive also got a conditional offer from Leiceseter for BSc Economics, and i think you can do a placement abroad for your third year if you choose to, check out the site .
    The problem is that I don't do A-level maths which is why I had to apply for the BA instead so I'm not sure whether they'll let me swap, unless I get three A's at A-level

I know the value of the placement year, but to be honest I can always go for internships during the summer and most universities do not offer a placement year so I don't think I'll be at too much of a disadvantage; it just comes down to which one is more likely to get me the interviews and a place at a top uni for a Masters programme.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by qpr91)
    The problem is that I don't do A-level maths which is why I had to apply for the BA instead so I'm not sure whether they'll let me swap, unless I get three A's at A-level

I know the value of the placement year, but to be honest I can always go for internships during the summer and most universities do not offer a placement year so I don't think I'll be at too much of a disadvantage; it just comes down to which one is more likely to get me the interviews and a place at a top uni for a Masters programme.
    I think you dont understand the difference between a Ba course and Bsc. I dont know how you can say that your likely to get a 1st in the Ba and 2:1 in the Bsc, im assuming because you believe there will be less maths? even though on the Ba there will also be maths. to be honest a year in industry will be better regardless, especially since those are both mid ranked unis. You also have the option of switching to a Bsc which id imagine shouldnt be too hard, but i think youd need to catch up on the maths. visit both and see which ones you like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    I think you dont understand the difference between a Ba course and Bsc. I dont know how you can say that your likely to get a 1st in the Ba and 2:1 in the Bsc, im assuming because you believe there will be less maths? even though on the Ba there will also be maths. to be honest a year in industry will be better regardless, especially since those are both mid ranked unis. You also have the option of switching to a Bsc which id imagine shouldnt be too hard, but i think youd need to catch up on the maths. visit both and see which ones you like.
    Lol I'm not assuming I will get a 1st if I do the BA, just that I'll have a better chance. Leicester offer both a BA and a BSc because the BA has significantly less maths in it, and I wouldn't say they're both mid ranked unis, the Times puts Leicester 15th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qpr91)
    Lol I'm not assuming I will get a 1st if I do the BA, just that I'll have a better chance. Leicester offer both a BA and a BSc because the BA has significantly less maths in it, and I wouldn't say they're both mid ranked unis, the Times puts Leicester 15th.
    if the times told you that eating machetes made you healthy, would you believe them? look at the TAELT sticky at the top of the thread for better rankings.

both unis are not known for their economics departments, realistically, i cant see you getting into IB going to either. if you can change to leicester's BSc, id personally go there. if you cant change, then surrey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qpr91)
    I have conditional offers from both universities of ABB to study Financial Economics and hopefully eventually do a Masters in Finance and go into investment banking. The issue I have is that Surrey is a BSc and Leicester is a BA.

The logical place to go would be Surrey because of its year in industry and the fact that it's a BSc, however Leicester is a much better university, and also I think I'm likely to get a 1st if I do a BA and a 2:1 if I do A BSc.

So, it all comes down to "a 2:1 in a BSc from a good university" or "a 1st in a BA from a very good university." I'm really torn between the two and am struggling to make a decision, so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Also, I love both universities and so am not bothered which one I go to in terms of night life and so on, so the decision will not be influenced in any way by the social aspect, just whichever course seems best.

Thank you.
    What makes you think that Leicester is a much better uni than Surrey?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by qpr91)
    If anything its mathematical exams are easier to get highers grades in, whats your highest level of maths? is it just that you feel you wont be able to do the extra maths in the Bsc?

ReputationRep:
    Lool I am expecting to have the same problem in a year.. I don't do Maths either and I hoping to do Economics
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Delight :))
    Lool I am expecting to have the same problem in a year.. I don't do Maths either and I hoping to do Economics
    Take up AS maths in your last year, thats what i did and its helped be a fair bit so far. Your going to need the content in maths A level whether you like it or not for Economics so you may as well somewhat rectify your mistake of not choosing maths A level.

ReputationRep:
    Take up AS maths in your last year, thats what i did and its helped be a fair bit so far. Your going to need the content in maths A level whether you like it or not for Economics so you may as well somewhat rectify your mistake of not choosing maths A level.
    Thanks for the reply..
    What is the best thing that could happen if I do not take up AS Maths?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thanks for the reply..
    What is the best thing that could happen if I do not take up AS Maths?
    I dont think any good can come from not doing AS Maths

ReputationRep:
    I dont think any good can come from not doing AS Maths
    Oh ok..
    Whats your preffered University if you don't mind me asking?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Oh ok..
    Whats your preffered University if you don't mind me asking?
    preferred uni? Im already at uni atm.

ReputationRep:
    I lived in Guildford, and wouldn't recommend UoS to anyone really for the wild party side. I'd personally choose Leicester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    I lived in Guildford, and wouldn't recommend UoS to anyone really for the wild party side. I'd personally choose Leicester.
    Why whats wrong with Guildford lol?

ReputationRep:
    preferred uni? Im already at uni atm.
    Oh where you at?!?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.