Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Tutor hasn't gave reference yet, and UCAS deadline is tonight!? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Basically, I asked my last tutor for a reference for my UCAS application, and what he sent was only about a paragraph, and when I recieved it I thought surely this wont be enough. So, I checked the UCAS website, and realized that there was a guide for tutors when completing a reference. So I emailed him the guide and asked for a new reference on Tuesday, I rang the college on Thursday wondering why I hadn't recieved it yet, and he said that he had only just recieved the email, and that he would get it to me this morning. So I waited until the afternoon, and called again, asking where it was, and he said he will email it to me tonight as he has been busy.

It is now 9:35 at the time of writing this, and I still, have not recieved the reference. At the moment I have just put in the reference that he gave me originally, but I don't know if this will be enough and if this may just look bad on me? I really don't know what to do, should I explain the situation in my statement, saying that I will bring a proper reference to any preliminary interviews?

Please help!

Thanks in advance,
    Joe.

ReputationRep:
    Is there any way you can contact him at his home this evening?

ReputationRep:
    Write one yourself and send it off.

ReputationRep:
    I have no home numbers for him, and ofcourse the college is closed.

@5pid3rp1g: Someone else said that to me, but aren't I just jeapordising my application completely by doing that? Like when they confirm the reference with my tutor and he says its not his writing

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to send without references? Cant remember. If so perhaps try this and ring the Undergrad Admission departments of the universities you applied to explaining your situation.

ReputationRep:
    the student doesn't put the reference in do they? it usually goes through the school/college? if you are a mature student i'll admit, i have no idea, but im not sure how sympathetic unis would be because of how long you've had to do it...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miranda-ae)
    the student doesn't put the reference in do they? it usually goes through the school/college? if you are a mature student i'll admit, i have no idea, but im not sure how sympathetic unis would be because of how long you've had to do it...?
    Yeah I keep thinking that every time I see anything about the deadline. It's been a whole week longer than usual, therefore a whole week longer to pull your finger out and chase things up.

I can understand your frustration too though OP.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it asks for the reference as I'm applying as an individual, rather than from a school or college, I'm just using my last tutor for a reference.

Im pretty sure I have to put in a reference or the application will just reject it, as it is then incomplete.. So ring the universities each, okay I guess I can do that but wont it be difficult make sure that whoever I speak to tells the person who goes through my application to cut me some slack?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    Yeah I keep thinking that every time I see anything about the deadline. It's been a whole week longer than usual, therefore a whole week longer to pull your finger out and chase things up.

I can understand your frustration too though OP.
    I see what you're saying, but I thought that a tutor would have the knowledge to write me a good reference when it's for a university application, and when he gave it to me last Friday, I was glad to see that there was an extension, I have been chasing up my tutor all week and it simply seems he has been too lazy to get what I asked to me, especially when its this important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joebloom)
    Yes it asks for the reference as I'm applying as an individual, rather than from a school or college, I'm just using my last tutor for a reference.

Im pretty sure I have to put in a reference or the application will just reject it, as it is then incomplete.. So ring the universities each, okay I guess I can do that but wont it be difficult make sure that whoever I speak to tells the person who goes through my application to cut me some slack?
    Maybe write in the reference part your situation, that you have contacted the universities undergrad admissions dept. Ask for an address to post a physical paper copy reference to and say you shall do this in the reference box. idk, just a suggestion

ReputationRep:
    If the first one you were sent is positive about you and the only thing wrong with it is that it's short, send that one. Quantity is not the most important thing. You can't send it without a reference.

ReputationRep:
    I see what you're saying, but I thought that a tutor would have the knowledge to write me a good reference when it's for a university application, and when he gave it to me last Friday, I was glad to see that there was an extension, I have been chasing up my tutor all week and it simply seems he has been too lazy to get what I asked to me, especially when its this important.
    Yeah I know, and I know that the reference is out of your control but I'm just saying I wouldn't put all your hopes of the UCAS/admissions people giving you a bit of slack because of it. After all, you could have started this back in September/October/November. You've had plenty of time.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if the tutor is a nice person (though I doubt now lol) you should write the reference by yourself and ask him to admit that it's his own work. He shouldn't be mad about it after all. Otherwise, contact the universities individually.

But I must admit that your situation SUCKS.

ReputationRep:
    May god help you in this difficult time. OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SanityinVanity)
    Maybe write in the reference part your situation, that you have contacted the universities undergrad admissions dept. Ask for an address to post a physical paper copy reference to and say you shall do this in the reference box. idk, just a suggestion
    I see what both of you are saying, good thought, so maybe something like this?;

In advance I apologize, however my previous tutor has not yet been able to provide to me a Reference of UCAS Application standard, I hope that you can understand my current situation and I will contact the appropriate Undergraduate Admissions Department to explain the situation, and to request an address whereby I may post a physical copy of the reference. At current, my previous Tutor has provided this short reference as a placeholder until I can send a more appropriate reference;

"To whom it may concern,

Joe has recently addented a Retail course at Hull College; I can confirm he has good attendance and timekeeping. He has demonstrated team work, and he has a real can do attitude, and has demonstrated enthusiasm and commitment throughout the course. I am sure he would be an asset to any business given the opportunity.

Paul Towle."

I appreciate your sympathy for my situation, and thank you.
    Would this be any good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icx)
    Well, if the tutor is a nice person (though I doubt now lol) you should write the reference by yourself and ask him to admit that it's his own work. He shouldn't be mad about it after all. Otherwise, contact the universities individually.

But I must admit that your situation SUCKS.
    Problem with that is, I would do it, but it would really only be possible if I had asked him if I could do that beforehand, just incase he disagrees..

ReputationRep:
    I see what both of you are saying, good thought, so maybe something like this?;

Would this be any good?
    Sounds like a plan, good luck

ReputationRep:
    It's better than no reference at all.
    Least it's something.

ReputationRep:
    Wait 40 minutes, you have just under an hour to send it then. Plenty. (Just in case he sends it.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 5pid3rp1g)
    Write one yourself and send it off.
    Is this not going to make matters worse?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.