Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know various schools have different systems to predict your AS/A2 grades.

In my school we take an 'ALIS' test, which combined with your GCSE results give you a prediction for your AS and A2 results. Basically they take the score you got overall in the test (inc. GCSE's) and then they see what every single student, who took your subjects and who took the ALIS test and got close to your results in it, achieved.

This essentially gives you your 'lowest target grade' and is the mean grade that everyone of your 'calibre' achieved. Of course there are anomalies and the predictions don't take into account the drop-outs who achieved U's and so on, and so this system is flawed in certain aspects.

When people apply to Oxford, I notice, that of course they like to see predictions of AAA. I am just wondering how you got your predictions or how in general predictions are made in your school (or previously), for example: are they all teacher assessed or do you have systems running to make predictions like the ALIS test? Do these predictions change for you after you have your AS results?

I am asking this because I think this system may be unfair - for example if someone got AS results of AAAAB or AAAAA but their A2 predictions are something like AAB or ABB does that mean Oxford would turn you down regardless of your excellent AS results?

This could occur with someone who worked hard and got excellent AS results but who still has their previous predictions from before they started A levels even though it seems likely that someone with those results would have a very good chance of achieving AAA at A2. :rolleyes:

(By the way this is not associated with me and the grades are not mine - just curious )

ReputationRep:
    In my school, students have to get the teachers to sign a form and put a predicted grade. I just very politely asked each of my subject teaches for an A* predicted grade - gave them arguments why and managed to persuade them.

Basically getting predicted grades is an art, it involves selecting the teacher most likely to give you the highest grades, and generally persuading them to give you a high grade.

(Not that Oxford give a damn about predicted grades anyway)

ReputationRep:
    Often ALIS is just used to predict AS scores, and A2 predictions are usually made solely upon AS results and any retakes they are planning on doing.
    My college used ALIS and predicted me AABB / ABBB, mainly because my secondary school had forced me to take a qualification in which the top mark was a 'pass' which was equivalent to CC and despite the fact that all my other grades were A* and As. I got AAAAA at AS and they changed my A2 predictions accordingly. Your school will want to get as many people into university as possible; it wouldn't therefore predict lower grades on purpose.

ReputationRep:
    We had two different things - target grades and predicted grades. Our target grades were predicted by ALIS, but our predicted grades were done by the teachers and based on work through the year and our AS scores. The predicted grades are the ones which go on UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, hopefully the teachers will predict for me and I'm sure if I achieve good grades they will be so kind to predict me A's

Got scared for a moment that 'ALIS' would predict my grades for me - she hasn't even seen me before!

ReputationRep:
    At my school the teachers decide your predicted grade based on your classroom performance and your mock exam results.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.