Turn on thread page Beta

Seeing a dentist about teeth straightening watch

For quite a few years my front teeth have been very mildly squint,but it's not really noticable by anyone unless they are staring at your teeth for a while, but I can see it and feel it with my tongue.

I'm 17, 18 next month. Would I be able to see my dentist about this? Would they definitely refer me for treatment, and would such treatment be available on the NHS?

Thanks a lot for your help.

ReputationRep:
    It depends how serious it is, whether it'll be done on the NHS. My local hospital wouldn't do mine, but one about 40 miles away would because they do it for training purposes or something... I'm not entirely sure. But my local dentist referred me to the hospital - you need a dentist to refer you. Then you go for an assessment and they decide whether to give you the treatment.

ReputationRep:
    yeah the thing is if its barely noticable the NHS wont do it for free anymore - they assess u and only if its a serious problem or somethin theyll give u the dental treatment. it sounds like urs is just a small thing lol id say ud have to go private n tbh dont think its worth it - my friend had a small gap between her teeth n wanted it fixed, n they told her two years in braces would do it lol, n if u went private...would maybe even be a few thousand. i think if its just a small thing try n forget bout it, n maybe ur just being paranoid.

ReputationRep:
    If it's as mild as you say the NHS won't treat it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    For quite a few years my front teeth have been very mildly squint,but it's not really noticable by anyone unless they are staring at your teeth for a while, but I can see it and feel it with my tongue.

I'm 17, 18 next month. Would I be able to see my dentist about this? Would they definitely refer me for treatment, and would such treatment be available on the NHS?

I have a sort of similar problem - NHS wouldn't do anything for me but I'd say just have a quick word with your dentist when you go for your next check up and they'll tell you all your options.
    Mine wasn't noticable unless I pointed it out and they weren't having any of it which is fair enough really

ReputationRep:
    If it's serious and you need braces, orthodontic treatment will be provided on the NHS.

If you can still talk, chew, live properly, probably not.

Best to see your dentist about it, no losses in an examination.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    My braces are on the NHS and my teeth weren't technically that bad before I had them... some people said "Why the hell did you get braces, your teeth were straight weren't they?!" but I knew they weren't, so my dentist referred me. Took like three or four visits for my orthodontist to find a reason to give me the braces, and in the end it was because my overbite fell within the treatment range (>6mm between the sets of teeth or something) so he agreed to do it. I also have orthodontic bands to sort out the whole overbite thing. I'm not sure what the criteria are exactly but it doesn't HAVE to be because your teeth aren't straight, so you might find out you need a brace for a different reason if you get a referral.

An orthodontist showed me a kind of chart of completely straight teeth to completely ****** up teeth, on a scale of 1-10....1 = super straight..... 10 = demonically bad

She said if you are on the scale on 1 2 or 3, you will b very unlikely to get treatment....Your local dentist must refer you to an orthodontist[braces people] for treatment, so i'm guessing the dentist judges how bad your teeth are according to the chart...

Go to your dentist and ask whether or not you can be reffered and if you have to pay for continued treatment when you turn 19......It could be in between 1 to 2 grand or something IF you have to pay for your treatment towards the last third of it I think, since a full private one is like 3.5k

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Could you post a pic?

Here are my teeth before and after 2 years of treatment and im having them off in a week To be honest I don't see much difference!!! except a wider smile!

It's worth asking your dentist. Say it's annoying when you eat or something... as if its just simply for costmetic reasons they wont do it on the NHS. I was asked if I wanted a brace at 15 and I said no. Then when I was 18 my dentist referred me again(even though I didnt really think I had a problem with my teeth!) she examined my teeth and said I wouldn't be allowed to have it on the NHS and so I walked out the door and she came chasing me down the corridor saying that she had found something that would allow me! haha. It was the right side of my teeth which went in and caused me to have a cross bite. Which I didn't know before!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.