Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy_emz)
    What I'm wondering is what will happen to those students who would have liked to study Education with another (non-social science) subject? For example, I know people who are taking Education and Physics and Education and Spanish. Surely it would be a shame to discontinue that route.
    smilepea was saying that. To be perfectly honest, I think that arrangement makes Education the closest equivalent to a joint honours that we have. Its the exception, and I think the depth/breadth/quality of the degree can be criticised as a result because of not giving them a comparable grounding in either subject to what they'd have in an ordinary tripos. I think a social sciences tripos would still allow them fairly considerable breadth; albeit without the option of any science other than Psychology and Computer Science (I think)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcb914)
    How can you criticise the Committee for citing the reason, when it was a major part of the reasoning? If anything, trying to conceal it could have been worse as it could have prompted much speculation and exaggeration. The committee was simply stating the facts.

The university is an academic institution and work is the primary focus - not "all the other areas of university life". Since Cambridge has a limited number of spaces to offer, it makes sense to give those places to those who have achieved, or showed potential to achieve, the very best grades. Whilst I agree that ****ging off subjects is immature and unnecessary, in the case of Education it is factually accurate to say that the academic standards of its students are well below the university average. Education students have an average UCAS point score of 438, which compares with 494 in SPS and 511 in Land Economy. It's clear that the latter two subjects don't deserve any "stick" for attracting inferior applicants, but as for Education it either needed to improve its entry standards or get scrapped......
    Re: UCAS Average. Education Students are very much in line with other departments such as Theology at Cambridge. The ACTUAL average UCAS point score for Education Students is 474 (http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_...b=23&x=32&y=15) - considerably higher than the figure stated above. The committee's report is misleading because what it actually refers to is pre 2006, before the faculty upped its requirments to meet the university standard of AAA (now A*AA). There has not been a through examination of the new Education tripos, partially because the first cohort are yet to graduate. The faculty's data (which is up-to-date) clearly highlights that the students are reaching the required standard as those in other subjects and more importantly that the overall degree profile does not differ from other Cambridge Faculties.

Much of the resistance comes down to numbers; in this economical climate the committee's concerns are about the number of students actually studying for the Tripos. Unfortunately, it appears that the 'standard of students' appears to have glossed over this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C05)
    Much of the resistance comes down to numbers; in this economical climate the committee's concerns are about the number of students actually studying for the Tripos. Unfortunately, it appears that the 'standard of students' appears to have glossed over this.
    Good example of a reason they could legitimately have stressed instead :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    So I've read this thread and want to check if I got everything right. The Education tripos will be abandoned and in 2012 become a part a new Social Sciences tripos.

What will happen to the PPS tripos then when this new social science tripos is created. Isn't PPS already a sort of broad social science course anyway? It seems quite strange that there will be both a soc. sci and a PPS tripos. Or is it perhaps so that the PPS also will become integrated to the Soc. Sci tripos in 2012? Meaning that Education+PPS=Soc. Sci?

This brings me to yet another thought. Wasn't the PPS tripos just re-done like a year ago? Pre-2009 it was called the Social & Political Science tripos, from 2010 and on, it is the PPS, and in two years it will change yet again to a social science tripos? Am I the only one finding this a bit strange/silly?

ReputationRep:
    Any reason related to the comparative academic achievement of Education students is stupid, for reasons cited above. That said, the course does seem somewhat less intensive than perhaps it could be.

The move could be very beneficial for Homerton. They can compensate for part of the numbers through increased intake in PPS, but I believe that they've been pushing to bring in Medicine/Vet to Homerton, which the increased space might free them up to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by albatrauuss)
    So I've read this thread and want to check if I got everything right. The Education tripos will be abandoned and in 2012 become a part a new Social Sciences tripos.

What will happen to the PPS tripos then when this new social science tripos is created. Isn't PPS already a sort of broad social science course anyway? It seems quite strange that there will be both a soc. sci and a PPS tripos. Or is it perhaps so that the PPS also will become integrated to the Soc. Sci tripos in 2012? Meaning that Education+PPS=Soc. Sci?
    This.
    This brings me to yet another thought. Wasn't the PPS tripos just re-done like a year ago? Pre-2009 it was called the Social & Political Science tripos, from 2010 and on, it is the PPS, and in two years it will change yet again to a social science tripos? Am I the only one finding this a bit strange/silly?
    If the ongoing changes are positive, then on what grounds are you calling it 'silly' :eyeball: All that's happened is that they've introduced a range of new options that people can take in first year. Originally there was no choice - just four compulsory papers you took. Now you compulsorily choose two from the three core subjects, and another two from a list of about six. Furthermore, International Relations started to be taught at undergraduate level for the first time.
    Once they integrate Education into PPS, nothing will change except that people can go from the PPS first year into Education with the broad social science first year as a base. I don't know if they intend for Education to make up all of the second and third year for people wanting to do this, or whether it means that people will be able to choose Education papers alongside the other core subject they intend to do.
    The change really wouldn't be that big. Many Part II PPS students currently do most of their papers in their chosen subject (Politics/Sociology/Psychology) but take one paper from one of the others for a bit of variety. As said above, Education will also be able to be taught at a more advanced level if students studying it have a grounding in social science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    This.

If the ongoing changes are positive, then on what grounds are you calling it 'silly' :eyeball: All that's happened is that they've introduced a range of new options that people can take in first year. Originally there was no choice - just four compulsory papers you took. Now you compulsorily choose two from the three core subjects, and another two from a list of about six. Furthermore, International Relations started to be taught at undergraduate level for the first time.
    Once they integrate Education into PPS, nothing will change except that people can go from the PPS first year into Education with the broad social science first year as a base. I don't know if they intend for Education to make up all of the second and third year for people wanting to do this, or whether it means that people will be able to choose Education papers alongside the other core subject they intend to do.
    The change really wouldn't be that big. Many Part II PPS students currently do most of their papers in their chosen subject (Politics/Sociology/Psychology) but take one paper from one of the others for a bit of variety. As said above, Education will also be able to be taught at a more advanced level if students studying it have a grounding in social science.
    This makes sense. So, what will the degree name of the people who start the education or PPS tripos this year (class of 2013) be?

ReputationRep:
    This makes sense. So, what will the degree name of the people who start the education or PPS tripos this year (class of 2013) be?
    Whatever the course was called when you started. So my degree certificate will say Social and Political Sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Whatever the course was called when you started. So my degree certificate will say Social and Political Sciences.
    The degree certificate doesn't say anything. The transcript will probably say whatever it said on the paper when you took it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermerp)
    The degree certificate doesn't say anything. The transcript will probably say whatever it said on the paper when you took it.
    Oh yeh. Forgot about that. But yeh - as far as I'm concerned, I'm Social and Political Sciences :closedeyes: None of this new-fangled PPS crap :p:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.