Turn on thread page Beta

No Career, No Course and No Uni in mind, what on earth shall i do? watch

ReputationRep:
    lol yeh i'm in same position and have practically same GCSE's. I'm gonna be stackin shelves most likely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    Law most certainly does not, and does accounting need a specific accounting degree? Not taking a medical undergraduate degree doesn't proclude you from a career in the medical field, either. Obviously you need a qualification, but it can be done as a graduate.

Anyway, you're right, there are a few careers which call for specific degrees - but relatively, there are few.
    No, accounting doesn't ... Most things don't - unless they are sciencey is what you tend to find and most those are ruled out by the OP's A levels anyway.

I say take a subject you enjoy. As long as it's a traditional subject you have a foot in most doors. ... 2 years on I wish I'd taken a subject I actually enjoyed... life would be so much easier .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x19x)

x19x
    Do a degree in International Relations

ReputationRep:
    Why not apply for joint or combined honours if you're having trouble picking a single subject to do?
    Do you know whether you'd rather go down the humanities route or the maths/economics route?

ReputationRep:
    take a gap year and travel and meet new people.
    you can do so much in a gap year it will help you grow a little and realise what you wanna do.
    i never knew what i wanted to do after Alevel. its very normal.
    there is no rush at your age...there is not even a rush at my age and i am 23

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    Why not apply for joint or combined honours if you're having trouble picking a single subject to do?
    Do you know whether you'd rather go down the humanities route or the maths/economics route?
    no i havnt decided i enjoy both equaly ish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x19x)
    no i havnt decided i enjoy both equaly ish
    hmm you're not making this easy. I would suggest looking at combined courses, to see if you can study History, Politics and Economics together or something similar. You can aways drop a subject if you don't want to carry on with all three.

ReputationRep:
    hahaha your telling me that i am not making this easy! that does sound a good idea actually and the PPE suggested above sounnds alright if i cant think of anything but its still not a career

ReputationRep:
    ^ I don't think anyone really expects you to have decided on a career at 16/17.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x19x)
    I am currently half way through my first year at my sixth form college but already they are starting to begin the pressure on uni applications but the trouble is that unlike most, no actually all I don't even have a rough career path in mind so this is making alot harder since nothing is suddenly jumping out at me.

I am taking to AS Economics, Maths (Stats), History and Politics as well as IT4Learning and General Studies but these do not actually count. I am enjoying my main subjects but 19th Century Britain was a little dull so i could really go down any of these paths.

Also these are the GCSEs i took in case it helps anyone with ideas for my future anything!

Drama A*
    Science Core A*
    Science Additional A*
    RE Short Course A*
    Maths A (this is only A i got in every mock it was A*)
    History A
    English Literature A
    English Language A
    IT Short Course A
    French B
    Food B

Any help and advise at all would be invaluable,

thanks

x19x
    I'm in my final year and I've no idea what career what I want to do, I've also not enjoyed uni and to some extent wish I hadn't gone. So from my experience it might be worth taking a gap year after you finish your a levels to learn a bit more about yourself (sounds cheesy but worth doing) and then seeing what happens.

You tend to get pushed down the uni route so if you do start looking at uni courses, chose a course that you'll definitely enjoy rather than something you're good at. Being good at something won't hold your attention for 3 years, you'll end up bored (like me).

Your life is your life so even if you do things that people look down on "oh you're clever why aren't you going to uni?" chose something that you'll enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x19x)
    hahaha your telling me that i am not making this easy! that does sound a good idea actually and the PPE suggested above sounnds alright if i cant think of anything but its still not a career
    You don't need to decide on career now. Plenty of 3rd year students still have no idea what they want to do. I've only decided what I want to do within the last few months and I'm 21.

ReputationRep:
    why don't you do maths, you are very good at it and seem to enjoy...and it will give you a very wide option base to choose from when you may have a more focused view on what you want to do

ReputationRep:
    I went though first semester and changed my mind AGAIN!

Still don't know about a career just enjoying part time work and my studies

:p:

Just pick something you really like lol, your career should just fall into plaace aafter uni

ReputationRep:
    I would do History and Politics if I were you. You sound very similar to me (apart from the evident ability you have with theatre and acting). History and Politics is such a wide ranging degree in my opinion, and as has been covered a little bit in this thread already, it shuts virtually no doors post-undergraduate study. I contemplated History and Politics, but having not studied Politics before I didn't want to take such a big step 'into the unknown' so to speak; hence why I elected for straight History.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do though, even taking a year out to re-assess things after your A-Levels wouldn't be a bad thing (it's what I'm currently doing) and has given me the time I most definitely needed to choose a path that suited me.

ReputationRep:
    What did you want to do when you were little? Because no matter how many career ideas pop into my mind it always goes back to the original idea hah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x19x)
    I am currently half way through my first year at my sixth form college but already they are starting to begin the pressure on uni applications but the trouble is that unlike most, no actually all I don't even have a rough career path in mind so this is making alot harder since nothing is suddenly jumping out at me.

I am taking to AS Economics, Maths (Stats), History and Politics as well as IT4Learning and General Studies but these do not actually count. I am enjoying my main subjects but 19th Century Britain was a little dull so i could really go down any of these paths.

Also these are the GCSEs i took in case it helps anyone with ideas for my future anything!

Drama A*
    Science Core A*
    Science Additional A*
    RE Short Course A*
    Maths A (this is only A i got in every mock it was A*)
    History A
    English Literature A
    English Language A
    IT Short Course A
    French B
    Food B

Any help and advise at all would be invaluable,

thanks

x19x
    teach

ReputationRep:
    There's no reason why you should have chosen your life path by 17. If you have, great, but you'd probably change your mind eventually anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Don't succumb to the pressure put on you to apply now. Otherwise you will end up in a degree you don't want to do and possibly ruin your chances of going into something you really want to do, as well as racking up a load of debt for nothing.

Take a gap year and try to arrange to do a part-time job/some work experience/internship placements in areas you think you might like to go into. You could also spend the time travelling, and you may be able to get some work experience along the way. All of this will help to clear your head, get some experience of the real world outside of school, and make a better informed decision about where you want to go from here.

It's perfectly normal for people to go to uni at 19/20/21 having done this. In fact on my course at uni there were actually no people who were 18 and straight from school.

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone this has really helped me out and calmed me down a bit, i have considered teaching but my mum does and thats always put me of a bit, as for what i wanted to do when i was younger i dont believe that maid marion/robin hood is a real job...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2010
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.