Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What's Better: The Sciences or The Humanities? watch

ReputationRep:
    Which do you think is harder, more useful for humanity, more fun etc?

Please don't turn this thread into lots of arguments.

ReputationRep:
    Sciences.

Because the universe and the world are harder to understand than people and society. No offence - I recognise that both are inescapably linked and I enjoy studying some humanities [politics, human geography, sociology and English] - but I still maintain that the sciences are genuinely harder, whilst they generate more "hard" knowledge as opposed to the mumbo-jumbo shrouded in academic wording that many humanities students and teachers love, and contribute to the progress of humanity, whereas the humanities chart historic progress and are loathe to make extrapolations based on that given the complexity of society.

Still - the arts/humanities act as the moral compass of the sciences, whilst the sciences facilitate progress in the arts/humanities. It is a mutualistic relationship.

Science!!!! :party: because we have more fun!

Ahem.

That aside, humanities contribute to culture, science contributes to learning about how the universe works/improving bridges and other useful things. Like art, it's not useful per se, but I still want paintings hanging on my wall, and languages are important for things like learning about culture and international relations, but they aren't really building rockets. I don't mean to offend, studies contributing to culture will always have a place and the world would be a boring place without it.

ReputationRep:
    Humanities Purely because it's about a thousand times more interesting *in my opinion*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Sciences.

Because the universe and the world are harder to understand than people and society.
    I agreed with everything else you said (even though im a humanties girl :yep: ), but i think this is quite trivial. People and society are ambiguous and confusing. We can't just take it as we see it.

ReputationRep:
    Humanities!!!
    Some people will say it is not as useful and that if everyone died, you'd want a scientist there, not an English professor. But as long as there are still people who go into science, I am going to go into humanities It's fun and I find it more interesting (Of course, science has its merits as well and I do like science - it's the maths I can't stand :p:)

ReputationRep:
    Ultimately, I'd say the humanities. I could write tons on this, but it isn't worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Sciences.

Because the universe and the world are harder to understand than people and society. No offence - I recognise that both are inescapably linked and I enjoy studying some humanities [politics, human geography, sociology and English] - but I still maintain that the sciences are genuinely harder, whilst they generate more "hard" knowledge as opposed to the mumbo-jumbo shrouded in academic wording that many humanities students and teachers love, and contribute to the progress of humanity, whereas the humanities chart historic progress and are loathe to make extrapolations based on that given the complexity of society.

Still - the arts/humanities act as the moral compass of the sciences, whilst the sciences facilitate progress in the arts/humanities. It is a mutualistic relationship.
    This is a pretty much perfect answer.

Plus so many subjects are a bit of both so its hard to define them as either part of the sciences or part of the humanities. Science and humanities depend on each other, I don't see either of them as being more important or more worthy of study.

I personally think sciences are generally harder but I'm sure some scientists would struggle studying a humanities subject.

ReputationRep:
    Both

ReputationRep:
    What a stupid thread, this is bound to cause conflict :rolleyes:

Depends what you enjoy, what you're good at and what you want to do career-wise.

ReputationRep:
    Science.
    Science is the most fundamental discipline, it's the root of the world and everything in it (including all other discplines/fields) as we know it today. Humanities are great though, but no field is parallel to the sciences.

ReputationRep:
    Go humanities, *****es.

ReputationRep:
    its all a question of your own strengths and opinions, tbh.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm definately going for sciences.
    A research scientist could do by far more good for the world than someone who works as, for example, a professor of poetry.
    Without science, I wouldn't be able to register my opinion on this thread, or do pretty much everything that your average Westerner does on a daily basis.

Both are equally important and necessary. Humans require culture and technology to thrive.

ReputationRep:
    They're obviously both useful for different things. We'd be equally screwed without economics as we would be without physics.
    (Yes I consider economics to be more of a humanity than a science, even if it does involve Mathematics).

Although as a Mathematician, I'm going to claim that Maths is the best, because we're clearly cleverer than everyone else :p:

ReputationRep:
    Arts are harder, sciences are 'better'

ReputationRep:
    I don't think one is categorically 'better' than the other, the word better is hardly fitting as it's clearly subjective, however if you're posing which is more important, there is no winner, both are irreplacable and mutually dependant.

As for the thread, all you're going to get is petty squables over the difficulty and use of the two, with tenuous links to apocalyptic like eventuallies, and people of course ultimately siding with whichever they have a greater interest in.

(Original post by Playboy King)
    Science.
    Science is the most fundamental discipline, it's the root of the world and everything in it (including all other discplines/fields) as we know it today. Humanities are great though, but no field is parallel to the sciences.
    Mmmm, you're a physicist, I like you :P

Also, I don't agree with the 'if you're a scientist you're not very good at arts' statement that gets thrown around a lot. I'm a musician, a dancer, and I love graphics design, but they're hobbies. Sometimes I think feck it, I'll train to sing opera properly, or I might as well just apply for musical theatre but thankfully those days are few and far between and usually occur whilst procrastinating... :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm a humanities lover, purely because I just find people, and their development throughout time and everything, just so interesting and I like that there is no definite answer (I know this is the case sometimes in Science, but less often than in Humanities) However, that being said, I am a massive astrophysics fan and did almost consider the science route. So I adore both, and like someone said, they need each other. I think they are just as difficult as each other, but people have different strengths.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.