Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's Better: The Sciences or The Humanities? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Sciences...but I would say that. Understanding causes of diseases and finding ways to deal with them is of huge importance (but then so is understanding of politics, culture etc..). During hard times I do think what my life would be like if I had gone down the languages route rather than science. I don't think my life would be any easier, just different.

ReputationRep:
    HUMANITIES! ITS GIVE US THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE WORLD AND REASONS WHY CERTAIN THINGS OCCUR IN THE WORLD WE LIVE!

WHERE AS SCIENCE JUST TRIES TO PROVE THINGS BUT JUST KEEP BEATING AROUND THE BUSH

therefore i say humanities more fun but both are respected equally!!!!! i respect both!

ReputationRep:
    Humanities

Look at the subjects I'm doing

ReputationRep:
    You could just do Geography and have the best of both worlds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    A truth right there.

However, we all know that physical geography > human geography!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by microfatcat)
    Mmmm, you're a physicist, I like you :P

Also, I don't agree with the 'if you're a scientist you're not very good at arts' statement that gets thrown around a lot. I'm a musician, a dancer, and I love graphics design, but they're hobbies. Sometimes I think feck it, I'll train to sing opera properly, or I might as well just apply for musical theatre but thankfully those days are few and far between and usually occur whilst procrastinating... :P
    I agree! The earliest scientists, Newton, Galileo, Descartes were not just scientists but were philosophers, theologists and were leading in various art disciplines...particularly during the Renaissance. Einstein was very close to being a musician had he not been fascinated by science..so yeah this misconception that scientistis aren't good at art is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Both of equal weight.

But I'm staying loyal to the humanities

ReputationRep:
    science is of much greater use to the human race than the humanities, so science is better.

ReputationRep:
    One without the other is useless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    A truth right there.

However, we all know that physical geography > human geography!
    I used to think that. Until I was introduced to the wonders of geopolitics - my preferred career path became crystal clear at that point.

ReputationRep:
    Humanities, especially phylosophy and geography

But don't get me wrong, I also love chemistry and physics but can't stand biology (blame my GCSE teacher)

ReputationRep:
    Sciences, but it depends on whether you are a pragmatist or whether you like pretty pictures and pointless musings.

Still - the arts/humanities act as the moral compass of the sciences,.
    Do you believe that the sciences require a moral compass?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anglerfish)
    Sciences, but it depends on whether you are a pragmatist or whether you like pretty pictures and pointless musings.

Do you believe that the sciences require a moral compass?
    Yes, but that moral compass must also verse itself in scientific knowledge to be useful.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but that moral compass must also verse itself in scientific knowledge to be useful.
    Intriguing, but I am sceptical of the premise. Surely such values cannot be decided by scientific knowledge, as it comes down to a matter of ethics - take, for instance, the sentiment that we should not experiment on humans because it would be harmful. Whilst we could scientifically prove that a particular experiment would be detrimental to a human subject's health, what is there to say that we should not experiment on him for the sake of others? Why would the argument that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one be invalid? It would not be, and that is the problem of having a moral compass for scientific progress: any morals we use to restrict science will be inconsistent, and of what value can inconsistent values be?

ReputationRep:
    Humanities for me, but science is of equal importance. I just find it so much more interesting But I guess its just peoples opinions, and I know quite a few people who love science subjects.

But what I really hate is when maths and science students think they are superior to humanities students, saying that certain subjects are soft. I would never go around saying this about other subjects, so I don't see why some scientific students should get away with it tbh.
    (Ive only met a couple of people like this, I know they are in the minority, but still, it annoys me)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anglerfish)
    Intriguing, but I am sceptical of the premise. Surely such values cannot be decided by scientific knowledge, as it comes down to a matter of ethics - take, for instance, the sentiment that we should not experiment on humans because it would be harmful. Whilst we could scientifically prove that a particular experiment would be detrimental to a human subject's health, what is there to say that we should not experiment on him for the sake of others? Why would the argument that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one be invalid? It would not be, and that is the problem of having a moral compass for scientific progress: any morals we use to restrict science will be inconsistent, and of what value can inconsistent values be?
    If you note my first post in this thread, you'll see that I consider that the sciences and humanities are involved in a mutualistic relationship - each gives something to the other for it to properly work. I agree that a moral compass for science must take into account knowledge and points of view from both the arts and the sciences. If the person acting as a moral compass has no/limited knowledge of the sciences that they are guiding, then they are likely to hold poorly informed viewpoints with little comprehension of what is going on, or what will happen. If the person acting as a moral compass has no/limited knowledge of the humanities, then they are out of touch with the cultural forces that shape that moral compass, or what cultural ramifications the scientific progress in question may have, and will similarly prove ineffectual.

To guide the sciences forwards in a responsible manner, I think it's important that those who lead scientific institutions and departments have knowledge of both the arts and the sciences.

ReputationRep:
    If you note my first post in this thread, you'll see that I consider that the sciences and humanities are involved in a mutualistic relationship - each gives something to the other for it to properly work. I agree that a moral compass for science must take into account knowledge and points of view from both the arts and the sciences. If the person acting as a moral compass has no/limited knowledge of the sciences that they are guiding, then they are likely to hold poorly informed viewpoints with little comprehension of what is going on, or what will happen. If the person acting as a moral compass has no/limited knowledge of the humanities, then they are out of touch with the cultural forces that shape that moral compass, or what cultural ramifications the scientific progress in question may have, and will similarly prove ineffectual.

To guide the sciences forwards in a responsible manner, I think it's important that those who lead scientific institutions and departments have knowledge of both the arts and the sciences.
    Ah, you see, I was not disputing that - in fact, I believe you put it rather well. I agree that, to guide the progress of science, it is imperative that both the sciences and the humanities are taken into account. I was disputing the idea that we should guide the sciences at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    Love this idea

(Original post by ranbow99)
    But what I really hate is when maths and science students think they are superior to humanities students, saying that certain subjects are soft. I would never go around saying this about other subjects, so I don't see why some scientific students should get away with it tbh.
    (Ive only met a couple of people like this, I know they are in the minority, but still, it annoys me)
    Grrr, this is so true! Some people in my year do all the sciences and they think that makes them better than me. However, they NEVER get homework. NEVER. Therefore, perhaps humanities is harder...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.