Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to study E&M at Oxford and am about to fill out my A Level options form over the next few days. What do you think is the best selection of A Levels to pick for Economics and Management at Oxford?

At the moment I'm thinking of taking - Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Chemistry.

I'm predicted 9 A* and 2 A at GCSE so I'm pretty open to any subjects. I'm also open to self teaching a further A Level in my spare time. Thanks for any advice or info you have.

ReputationRep:
    I know precious little about what the requirements are, but based on some of the work ive seen people doing, it would appear a damn good grasp of maths is handy. If it were me, I'd say what you're thinking is pretty sound, though obviously someone with a little more knowledge could be handy!

ReputationRep:
    Those choices are near-ideal (IMO).

I don't know how your school/college do it, but at mine, Maths and Further Maths count as basically one timetabled subject. You do the 'Maths' modules in your AS year, and then the Further Maths modules in your A2 year. As a result, you can do another AS subject. I don't know if your timetable's anything like that, but if you can pick up another AS, I'd recommend an essay-based subject, like English Literature or History.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KieranWiltshire)
    I'm hoping to study E&M at Oxford and am about to fill out my A Level options form over the next few days. What do you think is the best selection of A Levels to pick for Economics and Management at Oxford?

At the moment I'm thinking of taking - Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Chemistry.

I'm predicted 9 A* and 2 A at GCSE so I'm pretty open to any subjects. I'm also open to self teaching a further A Level in my spare time. Thanks for any advice or info you have.
    Only one thing I would change.
    Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics.
    Then teach yourself an A level in an essay (English lit / History).
    You would be an incredible applicant.
    I know people are saying you would be wasting your time but you do get a slight advantage, do Gen studies and Critical thinking A level.

ReputationRep:
    History, English, Geography, any other science, or Additional Further Maths? as a 5th subject?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

As someone said above, this combination looks awesome. Maybe think about substituting/adding an essay subject? It would show that you've developed a broad range of skills. Maybe just to AS level?

ReputationRep:
    Basically what everyone else said - those are pretty good subjects, especially the maths and further maths. You might be slightly lacking in a good essay subject, i.e. history or English lit, because management is a lot of essays, but it won't by any means stop you getting in.

I almost agree with Maturity, but I would recommend you self-teach physics (as his example) and have lessons in history or English, rather than the other way round. It's much easier to self-teach a science subject than an essay subject, because the technique is much less important in a science and so on. I had very little teaching for AS physics and got a solid A, so it can be done. That said, it really isn't necessary - you'd be much better off sticking to the four subjects and doing them well then attempting a fifth subject and being overworked and ending up with AAABB at AS level (not necessarily going to stop you getting in, but AAAA is favourable).

ReputationRep:
    Economics is a big essay subject at A-level so that choice of A-levels is perfect.

ReputationRep:
    At my school, the Economics course is entirely exam based, there is no coursework. Will there still be lots of essays to write?

ReputationRep:
    At my school, the Economics course is entirely exam based, there is no coursework. Will there still be lots of essays to write?
    I did Econ at A-level and I can assure you there are more than enough essays to write (for a start, all the exams are essay based).

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.