Turn on thread page Beta

need advice badly suffering from depression watch

Announcements

On results day for gcse was the worst day of my life . I was absolutely crushed on the day I recieved 5 B 's and the rest C's , I feel when I apply to university all the doors will be closed right on my face. The quirey I have is even if obtain 4 'A in reputable subjects at alevel do i stand even the slightest chance of an university such of Kings college university or am I just aiming too high. I hoping for some realistic answers thank you

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with B's and C's, uni's would definitely accept you with those and you shouldn't be rejected even if you did end up getting those at A-Level. GCSE's also aren't everything and B's and C's are great grades. What course do you wanna do? You may well stand a chance with KCL- I applied when I had BBC as my predicted grades and got an offer. Some of it is to do with how you present yourself and how you show how keen you are on the subject.

ReputationRep:
    Just make up for it with your A Levels.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Not all universities look at GCSEs as far as I know, even some of the top ones. Really competitive courses might (with so many good applicants, they need as many ways as possible to separate the wheat from the chaff).

Also, I think depression is taking your feelings a little far, no offence.

ReputationRep:
    His talking about GCSE's not A-level. But yeah don't be disheartened by your grades, their not too bad and you should focus doing well in you A-levels if you want to get into KCL.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    That's better than I got at GCSE.

A lot of unis don't look at them anyway, so contact the ones you are interested in to see if they will consider you.

ReputationRep:
    The impression I got though is that the OP thinks he/she would still be turned away if they got B's and C's at A-Level. I know that he/she is talking about GCSE's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    The impression I got though is that the OP thinks he/she would still be turned away if they got B's and C's at A-Level. I know that he/she is talking about GCSE's.
    As people above has already said they don't look at GCSE's to carefully, and I've know people who didn't took their GCSE's seriously and got B's and C's but got four A's at A-level and manage to get into some of UK's most prestigious university's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casshern1456)
    As people above has already said they don't look at GCSE's to carefully, and I've know people who didn't took their GCSE's seriously and got B's and C's but got four A's at A-level and manage to get into some of UK's most prestigious university's
    I know they don't, never got comments on mine. As I said, I got some decent offers too (didn't get all A's at A-level either) but the OP seems to have it in their head that whatever they achieve at whatever level, they're screwed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    Also, I think depression is taking your feelings a little far, no offence.
    I agree.

I'm not being rude; but be greateful that you at least got some Bs. The highest I got was a C. (did resit some of the others and now have 6 Cs)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    On results day for gcse was the worst day of my life . I was absolutely crushed on the day I recieved 5 B 's and the rest C's , I feel when I apply to university all the doors will be closed right on my face. The quirey I have is even if obtain 4 'A in reputable subjects at alevel do i stand even the slightest chance of an university such of Kings college university or am I just aiming too high. I hoping for some realistic answers thank you
    Of course you stand the slightest chance of getting in.
    My advice would be work hard at a-level and get work experience or other additional commitments into your personal statement.
    B and C's are fine at GCSE, and you can work hard at a level and do well.
    What are your future aspirations?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.