Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am not a happy chappy. At 7.30 this evening a police van ran into the side of my car as I was going through a green light. They've written off my car (that I love and that I use for work), I've just spent two and a half hours waiting for recovery to pick it up, so my night out is ruined, and I think the police are going to contest that it is their fault. What a bunch of *********. I don't even know if I'm going to get a courtesy vehicle so I can continue my work.

Anyway, I thought I'd let TSR know that I'm not happy and that I'm not sure what to do. Am I entitled to a courtesy car if the accident is not my fault? And can this be arranged before fault is fully established? Advice much appreciated (oh, and I'm ok, just fed of people telling me I should sue them for whiplash).

ReputationRep:
    Bugger, did you take pictures?

Were their lights flashing and on tones? Presumably they went through a red light? Pretty poor driving on their part...

ReputationRep:
    I did take some pictures, its not pretty. My rear left wing and wheel are pretty mashed. Their van lost its bumper but was otherwise ok. I took a photo of the junction and how far away my car is stopped, and also some of the police van and of my car. Hopefully they will prove useful to my insurer. The police officer took similar photos for their investigation too.

ReputationRep:
    Good. That will put you in good stead.

Have you contacted your insurance yet?

G

ReputationRep:
    Your light was green. Therefore, it is 100% their job to avoid you and therefore 100% their fault. Fault is not in doubt - the only thing they could possibly contest would be the colour of the light.

ReputationRep:
    I spoke with the insurers last night - they recovered my car. I went to see it today and take some photos in daylight. I haven't spoke to my insurer today but I will be sure to do so when their claims office opens on Monday.

ReputationRep:
    How bad is the damage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    How bad is the damage?
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    Your light was green. Therefore, it is 100% their job to avoid you and therefore 100% their fault. Fault is not in doubt - the only thing they could possibly contest would be the colour of the light.
    Not at all, no accident where 2 vehicles are moving is ever 100% someones fault. Yes your light was green, but you also have a duty to watch out for other vehicles. If the police van is going through red lights they have their sirens and lights on, and are pretty bloody obvious. Surely the OP was driving without due care and attention? You forget the police are trained in fast driving and running red lights, they arent just going to barrel through at 60 and hope everything gets out the way.

I would expect your insurance to go between 50-50 and 70-30 in favour of you, but dont expect the police to admit responsibility 100%.

ReputationRep:
    the key question given where the OPs vehicle is damaged is did the police vehicle treat the red light as a give way sign ?

this is what the law requires an emergency vehicle claiming a red light exemption to do

the law does not require the use or audible or visual warning devices although force policy often does and it'll do the driver no favours in the investigation or in court if s/he wasn't

PolCol investigations are done by the traffic dept and Professional Standards , both are units within the force reknown for eating their own young never mind the average bobby on the beat ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    Not at all, no accident where 2 vehicles are moving is ever 100% someones fault. Yes your light was green, but you also have a duty to watch out for other vehicles. If the police van is going through red lights they have their sirens and lights on, and are pretty bloody obvious. Surely the OP was driving without due care and attention? You forget the police are trained in fast driving and running red lights, they arent just going to barrel through at 60 and hope everything gets out the way.

I would expect your insurance to go between 50-50 and 70-30 in favour of you, but dont expect the police to admit responsibility 100%.
    They are the professional drivers and they were driving the vehicle which ran the red. They have dispensation to run the lights, but only if they're not putting other drivers at risk and give plenty of warning. They can treat the red light as a 'give way', but on the basis that they hit the OP side on, it's pretty obvious they failed in their observations and are 100% at fault (from an insurance point of view)

Assuming the lights were as the OP says, the Police would find it nigh on impossible to contest the claim. The OP may have been able to avoid the accident, but the Police will be responsible from an insurance point of view.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't have avoided him. The view to the left (where the van was coming from) as you approach the junction is limited, I didn't see him coming until it was took late.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    I couldn't have avoided him. The view to the left (where the van was coming from) as you approach the junction is limited, I didn't see him coming until it was took late.
    Sorry, wasn't suggesting you could. I was just saying that even if you could have hypothetically avoided it, the fault still lies with them as they failed to 'give way' on the red as required.

From what you've said, they have no chance of pinning fault on you and I wouldn't let your insurance company settle for anything less than 100% not-at-fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    Spoiler:
    Show

F***. Bugger.

ReputationRep:
    *******s. When I was a learner I nearly got hit by a police car who was overtaking 3 cars (so on the wrong side of the road) on a blind bend. He had no sirens on and I had to run off the road to avoid him. I think sometimes they get carried away on their wee power trip and think they are in GTA.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that, with the exception of the advanced (old Class I/II) police drivers, many of the regular bobbies drive beyond their ability.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone used an accident management firm? They're companies that give you a courtesy car and arrange your car to be repaired or replaced. A lot work on no-win no-fee basis, does anyone have any experience of them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    Sorry, wasn't suggesting you could. I was just saying that even if you could have hypothetically avoided it, the fault still lies with them as they failed to 'give way' on the red as required.

From what you've said, they have no chance of pinning fault on you and I wouldn't let your insurance company settle for anything less than 100% not-at-fault.
    I'll say again. No collision between 2 moving vehicles is EVER 100% one persons fault. You'll get maybe 70/30, or possibly 80/20, but dont expect any more than that.

ReputationRep:
    Surely it would also be a situation where speed of the vehicles can be contested, in the the police van could be going at 30 through a red light as they have not seen any traffic and you come barrelling through at 70.. etcc

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, except I didn't barrel through at seventy, or even half of that. Currently on the phone to the insurers...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.