Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warrenpenalver)
    so the car magically started itself and drove into a hedge LOL.

Have you got CCTV now to catch the idiots?

You should put big rocks in the hedge so they trash thier car and cant drive off. Bit hard for them to deny it then!!
    Nah we haven't, but camera phones are a boon for proving what car was in the hedge, put it that way. The cars are usually write offs anyway, they have to go down into our ditch and out again before they get through the hedge and fencing (2 layers). They are usually write offs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve2005)
    I don't think you know what you are talking about.
    :rolleyes: No, of course I dont.......

ReputationRep:
    urrrgghh spoke with my insurers and it looks like it's going to be a fault claim. Apparently, regardless of the circumstances, if the police vehicle approaches the junction safely with his lights and sirens on, they always have right of way. I've spoken with a motor legal firm and they have confirmed this. This is never what I understood, which is that police vehicles should treat red lights as a give way sign and only proceed if the way is clear. I'm stunned, there was no way I could have seen the police vehicle and I definitely didn't hear it - how are you supposed to avoid accidents like this unless you cross every traffic light junction at 5mph?

ReputationRep:
    Very strange - I too was under the impression they had to treat red lights as a give way.

The interesting bit is "if the police vehicle approaches the junction safely". I would say that if they passed through the junction slowly, with lights and sirens on, and gave you ample opportunity to see them, then that constitutes 'safe'. Barrelling through at high speed with the lights and sirens on doesn't sound like a 'safe' approach to me.

I would still be inclined to seek further legal advice and continue fighting. The fact the Police had the lights and sirens on, does not give them carte-blanche to barrel through junctions without making adequate observations, especially when it is not their right of way.

If you want some brilliant free advice, then I strongly recommend you post a summary of everything that's happened thus far on PH's Speed, Plod & the Law forum. It is frequented by numerous claims management experts, police and lawyers. You should get some excellent advice over there.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Sync, I'll definitely post on the forum and see what they can turn up.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.