The Student Room Group

Do we really need the death penalty?

I have recently been studying the Amnesty International campaign in aid of abolishing the death penalty and have since took a keen interest in this issue, as some victims are unfortunate enough to be sentenced with this punishment, for what seem like ridiculous reasons, not worthy of this type of punishment. How can anyone justify the slaying of ones life, as a form of punishment in a modern society? I'd welcome any feedback on the subject, to help build up a picture of how others feel about this topic :smile:

Reiss

Scroll to see replies

reiss24
I have recently been studying the Amnesty International campaign in aid of abolishing the death penalty and have since took a keen interest in this issue, as some victims are unfortunate enough to be sentenced with this punishment, for what seem like ridiculous reasons, not worthy of this type of punishment. How can anyone justify the slaying of ones life, as a form of punishment in a modern society? I'd welcome any feedback on the subject, to help build up a picture of how others feel about this topic :smile:

Reiss

No.
1.) it costs an insane amount of money
2.) there is no evidence to suggest it deters crime
3.) you can never be sure and many innocent people are put to death
4.)its much better to people suffer for life in prison than end their life how they want.
5.) its wrong...ITS WROOONNNNNNGG!
Reply 2
I don't agree with it really, it's not much of a deterrent, if it was, there would be hardly any crime in America. People say by killing them that it's cheaper than locking them up for life but most people on Death Row spend years there and have numerous court appeals which costs a bomb, so I don't buy that argument.

Moreover, it seems kind of ridiculous to say, right, because you have killed someone, we are going to kill you. Maybe people see that as being fair or some sort of justice but it doesn't really make sense to me to punish someone for doing something wrong by doing that exact same thing i.e. killing someone.

I think dangerous criminals should be locked up for life and life meaning life but I don't think they should be killed. Personally, I think it's more of a punishment to spend the rest of your life in prison that to receive the death penalty.
Reply 3
i think so. there is evidence that the death penalty works. many countries in the east have little crime compared to here. because they have the death penalty and other harsh punishments related to it.
e.g. steal something = chop limbs off etc. :p:
Naw
awais590
i think so. there is evidence that the death penalty works. many countries in the east have little crime compared to here. because they have the death penalty and other harsh punishments related to it.
e.g. steal something = chop limbs off etc. :p:

Because that's exactly what we need...
I like to think that human society has advanced beyond the point where the state believes it has the authority to end the lives of it's own citizens. The death penalty serves no practical purpose - it is equatable with vengeance, not justice.
Reply 7
No, no, no, it is utterly barbaric and drags us down to the level of criminals. It is never the state's job to kill people.
Reply 8
awais590
e.g. steal something = chop limbs off etc.

I wish we could trade people like you for all those "illegal" immigrants who are desperate to come to a country like the UK which actually respects human rights.
Think of poor Ian Beale getting the chop for something he didn't do..
Reply 10
Aphotic Cosmos
The death penalty serves no practical purpose - it is equatable with vengeance, not justice.

Unfortunately many people see no distinction between the two.
'An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.' - Gandhi

And the legal cases behind the person being sentenced to death apparently is in excess of what it would cost to keep them in prison until they die. Appeals etc.
Reply 12
Absolutely. It will mean we need less jails, less tax payers money wasted and the scum get what they deserve.
would you allow scum like those who kill, rape etc. to live and go on to re-offend...and those boys who tortuted those brothers, the chavs that kill for fun.....do we not have a duty to remove these people from soceity permanently, and since the prisons won't do that...maybe some of them need to die?
infernalcradle
would you allow scum like those who kill, rape etc. to live and go on to re-offend...and those boys who tortuted those brothers, the chavs that kill for fun.....do we not have a duty to remove these people from soceity permanently, and since the prisons won't do that...maybe some of them need to die?

We can make life in prison mean life if we just build more prisons and reform sentencing for more severe crimes - that will remove dangerous criminals from society without the need to resort to barbarism.
I've been thinking about this because of amnesty also. But there are so many cases in which people have been accused of things, and then found to be innocent or not given a free trial. Some people spend their lives on death row - and die there before they get killed!! At the end of the day, a lot of evidence for crime is based upon witnesses - which I personally think isn't strong enough as an argument to kill someone! Why don't you make a decision to cut someone's arm off if they steal something of yours? Because ultimately we know that it isn't our decision to do so - why should it be the governments? If, for example, a woman decided she wanted to kill someone, and so her punishment is death, why should the government say then - I'll kill you then, that makes it all better. No, a human being has equal human rights to every other human being, and just because someone does something wrong doesn't mean other humans gain the power to murder them. Yes, put them in prison - for the safety of others and for justice. Death is too far.
infernalcradle

I'm fairly certain they're mentally disturbed; normal, healthy human beings don't do that sort of thing.

But even if they aren't...you support the execution of children? :lolwut:
Reply 17
i have no problem with it when it comes to using it on child molesters/abusers.
Reply 18
The death penalty is one of the worst ideas ever. A much better punishment would be forced labour in prison for life. Now that's a punishment!
Reply 19
No. Giving the state the power to kill it's own citizens is not a good idea, especially given recent legislation.

Not to mention the fact that an innocent man being killed is inevitable.

Latest

Trending

Trending