Turn on thread page Beta

Do we really need the death penalty? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    also, you have to accept there are many children in Britain living below the poverty line and probably growing up in similar situations that don't hunt other children to torture...x

ReputationRep:
    We desperately need it hear in the UK because sending a Murderer to prison- YOU know how much it costs! Criminals are given all the luxuries when they do not need or deserve them of course. SO we need it back because it will reduce murder crimes because people will fear of the punishment and it will save the tax payers money.

ReputationRep:
    The death penalty is very questionable/problematic. Although i think it should be used for serious offenders e.g mass rapists, pedophiles, multiple murderers. The main amount of people in prison should be working on the land, cleaning and helping maintaining roadworks. I got to admit i get fed up a lot because when i have been going to gigs at night you mind your own business but a set of chavs will walk round a corner and threaten to stab you etc. Because of this outside the gig venue/music area of the city there is usually 50 police officers, Which to be honest makes you feel safe but you know more could be done to stop mindless idiotic attacks.

ReputationRep:
    While some people deserve it for things they do I don't agree with it, what happens if someone who is innocent is killed? You can't bring them back.. If anything for those who are guilty this is an easy way out. However I do agree with the sentiment that a life sentence means life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missy6E)
    The death penalty is very questionable/problematic. Although i think it should be used for serious offenders e.g mass rapists, pedophiles, multiple murderers. The main amount of people in prison should be working on the land, cleaning and helping maintaining roadworks. I got to admit i get fed up a lot because when i have been going to gigs at night you mind your own business but a set of chavs will walk round a corner and threaten to stab you etc. Because of this outside the gig venue/music area of the city there is usually 50 police officers, Which to be honest makes you feel safe but you know more could be done to stop mindless idiotic attacks.
    That. Or some other type of work which includes heavy labour. I don't agree with the death sentence, however.

ReputationRep:
    Death penalty is an awesome idea. Saudi Arabia Qatar, Indonesia and Oman have one the worlds lowest crime rates. All countries have sharia law and what that means is:

-If you steal anything, even a donut, and get caught, both your hands will be chopped off.
    -If you commit adultery then you are stoned to death or flogged by your partner 100 times

None of the countries has armed police and and not even an army in the case of K.S.A

Not only that, I know for a fact that in Mecca and Jeddah, the shops close for prayers but only close in the sense that there is no shopkeeper - the staff just leave the stuff AS IT IS and go to pray.

I think that supports the point of having such a strong penalties. Look at the society and family values in these countries as opposed to here or the US - there is no such thing as a 'broken oman', no its just 'broken britain'.

ReputationRep:
    For me, it would be totalitarian of the state to have the authority to end the life of one of its citizens. In addition, there is no real positive outcome of the death penalty which could be achieved through rehabilitation, education and development of people who have committed crimes. For me, prison is not the answer, but neither is the death penalty.

ReputationRep:
    Whenever a discussion like this comes up, I have to think about how it must feel to be an innocent person on death row. Knowing you've done nothing wrong, and yet still are put to death.

Unless you can 100% certain that someone committed a crime, it shouldn't happen.

ReputationRep:
    No. It is Wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musama91)
    Death penalty is an awesome idea. Saudi Arabia Qatar, Indonesia and Oman have one the worlds lowest crime rates. All countries have sharia law and what that means is:

-If you steal anything, even a donut, and get caught, both your hands will be chopped off.
    -If you commit adultery then you are stoned to death or flogged by your partner 100 times

None of the countries has armed police and and not even an army in the case of K.S.A

Not only that, I know for a fact that in Mecca and Jeddah, the shops close for prayers but only close in the sense that there is no shopkeeper - the staff just leave the stuff AS IT IS and go to pray.

I think that supports the point of having such a strong penalties. Look at the society and family values in these countries as opposed to here or the US - there is no such thing as a 'broken oman', no its just 'broken britain'.
    I know that it appears to be good that the law is strict as it means people don't break it, but surely the law has to be laid down in some cases and the resulting punishments inflicted would be really cruel IMO.

I'm from South London too btw! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I think it's a great idea. There are many points that people make that I don't agree with:
    1. It's "too expensive" - America isn't the only country in the world with the death penalty, I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost much to kill people in China or other countries with the death penalty.

2. Innocent people might get killed. - I don't think anyone is advocating that murder is the only penalty. There are times where it is 100% certain that someone did something - cases like Ian Brady, Fred West, those 2 boys who tortured people. In cases where it is 100% certain, they should be put to death IMO.

It's really barbaric! It's something we did 200 years ago, I like to think we have progressed morally since then, accepting gay people and not going on witch hunts.

I'm saying a big no because:
    1) I'm Christian, so murdering someone is wrong. Murder does not justify murder.
    2) You have to make the executioner a murderer, he'll go to hell (or if you don't believe in that stuff, possibly turn him into a psycho)
    3) Money
    4) Making a mistake resulting in the death of an innocent
    5) Their families have had enough to deal with, what with the accused being a nutter supposedly deserving of death, it would be much less trauma for them if they got locked up for life
    6) The judge would be hated on

Okay I can't think of any more right now, but there's probably loads more reasons why it's a terrible idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I HEART KFC!!!)
    IMO if you kill someone then you should be killed... its really that simple...
    I hope you don't run anyone over on the street in your car then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prussianking666)
    its wrong...ITS WROOONNNNNNGG!
    Please elaborate on why you think so. Not just because it costs too much or that you feel it morally takes you to the criminals level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prussianking666)
    No.
    1.) it costs an insane amount of money
    Only in the USA. In this country it would be significantly cheaper. For example in the USA the average time spent on Death row is 12 years whilst in this country the average time spent in a condemned cell was 5 - 7 weeks. Therefore if it was reintroduced in this country it would be far cheaper than keeping them alive (ie £24,000 a year)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by microfatcat)
    It's really barbaric! It's something we did 200 years ago, I like to think we have progressed morally since then, accepting gay people and not going on witch hunts.

I'm saying a big no because:
    1) I'm Christian, so murdering someone is wrong. Murder does not justify murder.

Exodus Chapter 20 states that execution for murder is okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I hope you don't run anyone over on the street in your car then.
    well no... i don't mean it like that... i mean if its a first degree murder or something... then you should be killed... maho fe masr beye3melo keda

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheonixx)
    Asking if we really need it implies we already have it: we don't.
    Im speaking in genaral, not just about the UK, which i know from living in the country since the day i was born, isnt in use!

ReputationRep:
    Killing people to me seems stupid! You might as well make use out of these people, forced labour sounds like a much better option

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your responses guys, has really opened my eyes up to how others feel on the subject, even highlighted how most of you feel about our own countries punishment system. Feel free to further comment!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.