Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    Only in the USA. In this country it would be significantly cheaper. For example in the USA the average time spent on Death row is 12 years whilst in this country the average time spent in a condemned cell was 5 - 7 weeks. Therefore if it was reintroduced in this country it would be far cheaper than keeping them alive (ie £24,000 a year)

No, you are assuming we will introduce the death penalty as it was back in the good ol' days. Which just would not happen. You would be better off comparing the 5-7 week figure with the figure that the US were using at that time. Rather than comparing the present day US to the past UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    No, you are assuming we will introduce the death penalty as it was back in the good ol' days. Which just would not happen. You would be better off comparing the 5-7 week figure with the figure that the US were using at that time. Rather than comparing the present day US to the past UK.
    :facepalm: Our justice system is far more sensible than that of the USA's, that means it is harder to appeal. The figure is little out of date now, but we could probably put a few months on it. The figure in the USA was roughly the same and always has been.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm: Our justice system is far more sensible than that of the USA's,
    Exactly. Which is why we don't have a death penalty. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. Which is why we don't have a death penalty. :yy:
    You have just portrayed your ignorance for the world to see. What I mean is the USA has an open ended Justice system, whereby you can appeal on any tiny detail. The UK you must have real grounds to appeal.

ReputationRep:
    it would be very very hard to get it back, 1998 was the last time a crime carried the death penalty, not murder as that was 1969, they was removed by the human acts rights

is killing someone really the way to go, your showing that you are no better and what is worst spending your life or 40+ years in jail against a few weeks or 12 years then its over with

time is a much better punishment then death

ReputationRep:
    You have just portrayed your ignorance for the world to see.

No im pretty sure you said it yourself. Our justice system is far more sensible than the USA's. Hence the absence of capital punishment. :closedeyes:

ReputationRep:
    No im pretty sure you said it yourself. Our justice system is far more sensible the USA's. Hence the absence of capital punishment. :closedeyes:
    Yes I know. But that is not what I meant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casse)
    Absolutely. It will mean we need less jails, less tax payers money wasted and the scum get what they deserve.
    Really is putting a price on someones life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reiss24)
    Really is putting a price on someones life?
    Its not putting a price on someones life. Some crimes deserve harsh punishments and death is a fitting punishment for extreme crimes: murder and rape being two classic examples.

The alternative is putting them in a jail cell and maintaining their worthless lives which is costly to the taxpayer. Executing them saves this money and gives a signal to others that these crimes are not tolerated and will be dealt with severely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musama91)
    Death penalty is an awesome idea. Saudi Arabia Qatar, Indonesia and Oman have one the worlds lowest crime rates. All countries have sharia law and what that means is:

-If you steal anything, even a donut, and get caught, both your hands will be chopped off.
    -If you commit adultery then you are stoned to death or flogged by your partner 100 times

None of the countries has armed police and and not even an army in the case of K.S.A

Not only that, I know for a fact that in Mecca and Jeddah, the shops close for prayers but only close in the sense that there is no shopkeeper - the staff just leave the stuff AS IT IS and go to pray.

I think that supports the point of having such a strong penalties. Look at the society and family values in these countries as opposed to here or the US - there is no such thing as a 'broken oman', no its just 'broken britain'.
    Hey i am a Brit living in Oman and you are so totally wrong

Oman DOES have a lot of crime, it's just hidden by the governement and the press is controlled

Your hands do NOT get cut off in Oman
    & people dont get stoned or flogged for adultery
    Oman is much more humane in its penalties
    you're talking about more than 30 years ago

and Oman DOES have armed forces, one of the largest in the Middle East in fact and some soldiers & officers have even trained at Sandhurst and some British soldiers also come out here to train, Bear Grylls amongst them

You should research a bit more thoroughly before you start making "educated" assumptions about countries you dont even know about so dont just bullsh*t away

ReputationRep:
    Well Britain did in fact have the death penalty and birching not too long ago.The last time the death penalty was used was in 1964 ,when two people were strung up in accordance with the homicide act of 1957. I don't think many people would say that Britain in the sixties had a barbarous justice system or it was a barbaric time in society.On the contary I think many people today would say today society is much more barbaric. As recently as june 2009 half the people in this country believe in the death penalty according to polls.

It is also rubbish to suggest the death penalty would be more costly than jailing someone for life. Because these wrong headed people afflicted with the insanity called liberalism, (see Anne coulter when she discusses this mental disorder) just cite one system of capital punishment ,the United States, when discussing cost. And it goes without saying that cost isn't the only factor when looking at any kind of punishment.

The politicians of this country have betrayed the British people when it comes to their protection,They lied when they got rid of the death penalty as ,it was meant to be replaced by life without parole (which to me is an acceptable alternative) but sadly they have continually lessened the punishments for what in the past were capital crimes. They must be held to account for this.

The death penalty I believe is a deterrent, but perhaps to only a limited number of murderers. It's real , function is to protect society by making sure the most evil people no longer are a threat to anyone by ending their lives. As has been seen the judicary and politicians cannot keep their promises as regards keeping certain dangerous people incarcertated and protecting society.There is also the possibility ,small admittedly of escape.For this reason the death penalty is the only assured way, to deal with the most dangerous and vile people. Notice I never mention retribution, which is the most common reason most anti death penalty people give to people with my views. They want to make it an emotional issues, when my motivations are rather more practical and without emotion towards the victims families or the victims.

Finally while I believe the death penalty would only deter a relatively small section of murderers.It's real attribute as well as birching is to create along with excellent detection from law enforcement a climate of fear amongst the crimnal fraternity . While it may only deter specific types of murderers ,it may well , have beneficial effects amongst more petty criminals,in that the state can literally decide whether they live or die or can sanction a beating in law.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.