Turn on thread page Beta

Giving Up Caffeine watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I decided that I really need to get healthy at some point this year, because I suffer from depression and this causes problems with my energy levels (i.e. I am always shattered). My first step was to give up caffeine, which was a hard decision to make. I've been on it almost a month now and I'm still learning about what to avoid, so if anyone's thinking of doing it, here are some tips!

1. Decaf doesn't mean caffeine free. Decaf coffee still has caffeine in it. No, really. It can range from about 3-12 mg per serving compared to 90-300mg in caffeinated, but if you want to cut it out completely then avoid. (Starbucks decaf has 10-13, instant has about 2-4).

2. However, caffeine free really is caffeine free, so Caffeine free Coca-Cola and Pepsi are fine. (But difficult to get in the local corner shop).

3. Chocolate also has small amounts of caffeine in it. Hot chocolate has about 5mg caffeine. White chocolate has no caffeine in it though, hooray!

4. Coke Zero has as much caffeine as regular Coca-Cola. (I don't know if a lot of people think it's caffeine free, but at least one person I know told me that).

5. Fanta (all flavours), 7-Up (all flavours) and Sprite are all caffeine free.

I've actually found that I do feel more awake during the day since I've caffeine out (although how much is placebo, I've no idea). Giving up coffee, Cherry Coke, and chocolate have been very hard, but I feel the better for doing it.

ReputationRep:
    yee not gonna happen lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Batmaz)
    3. Chocolate also has small amounts of caffeine in it. Hot chocolate has about 5mg caffeine. White chocolate has no caffeine in it though, hooray!
    http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=15555

There is conflicting info about this, but just so you know...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tailschao)
    http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=15555

There is conflicting info about this, but just so you know...
    Yeah, I've heard that before as well, it's really hard to get good information regarding caffeine/no caffeine in chocolate. Looking at websites I've been too, I'm pretty sure that hot chocolate contains a small amount of caffeine, and I think Herschey's (sp?) add caffeine to their chocolate (again, unsure), but either way, I'm a bit wary of anything that has a similar effect to caffeine anyway, I'm trying to cut out the unnatural stimulants. Thanks for that!

ReputationRep:
    i did this for lent last year. i managed it, but it was horrible at first. i was hell on earth to be around too! it didn't last long either, pretty much straight after i was back on the diet coke and chocolate i do tend to choose caffeine free coke where i can now though, because it did make me feel a bit clearer.

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on drinking more. Trying to be stimulant and depressive free isn't working out.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.