Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I had my braces taken out yesterday and got my retainers today and they are worse than the braces. I have to wear them full time except when eating or brushing my teeth for 6 months but they feel tight and make my mouth dry. Do I just need time to get use to them or have other people who have had those plastic clear retainers that cover your whole teeth feel like this?

ReputationRep:
    Just give it time. My hurt like a b***h when i first got my retainers but after a few days i got used to it and they stopped annoying me. Just give it time and wear them for as long as your othordontist tells you; you'll kick yourself if you don't and you get wonky teeth again!

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean they do dry your mouth out but trust me on this it is so worth it!
    Iv had my braces off for a couple of years now and when i dont remember to wear my retainers i can really feel the difference.
    Just know that its worth it!

ReputationRep:
    My mouth always felt dry when I had retainers. Keep wearing them all the time! I stopped for a bit, and my teeth shifted slightly which annoys me a lot..

ReputationRep:
    I didn't wear mine. My teeth moved.

Now my retainer doesn't fit... and I've just allowed the whole thing.

ReputationRep:
    My teeth move drastically if I don't wear them for a couple of days, but this is after having my braces out for about 5 years. I just wear them at nights and can generally get away with doing this only a few times a week. You'll get used to it, it sucks having to wear them all the time but it won't be for long.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean your retainer is a permanent one? I have one of those on my top teeth, don't have any problems with it tbh, just give it time and you'll adjust.

ReputationRep:
    Your teeth will move if you don't wear your retainer, so it's really up to you.

You will get used to it. Persist with it

ReputationRep:
    You could try asking for a permanent retainer which is a thin wire they attach to the back of your teeth that you cant take out. My friend has one and you can only see it if she tips her head upside down, much easier than all the hassle with a plastic retainer!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.