Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can I do something for charity...the second time round? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so every year in the quaint county of Shropshire (my county) there takes place in an AONB The Long Mynd Hike.
    It's a 50 mile ultramarathon, which I did last October in 13 hours, winning the junior prize and coming about 90/500, this year I plan on cracking the 11 hour mark, but I would like to do it for charity, and I would like to raise ALOT of money, I know people who raise hundreds of pounds just to run 6 miles.
    Even though I have done it before, and completed it in a good time, will I be able to get a large amout of money?
    Thanks,
    Jeester.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    It's impossible to say really, I mean you would have to do the fund-raising. As it's an ultramarathon type event though, you might be able to get sponsorship from some companies/media interest from the local newspapers/television.

ReputationRep:
    N.B. I didn't do it for charity the first time round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwwhty)
    It's impossible to say really, I mean you would have to do the fund-raising. As it's an ultramarathon type event though, you might be able to get sponsorship from some companies/media interest from the local newspapers/television.
    Do you know anyone who's done this?
    If so did they find it hard to get in contact with them?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that matters. It's up to you whether you want to do it for charity or not. If you are fund-raising on behalf of a charity though, I'm guessing you would have to approach the charity first. You can't exactly go around getting money off people if the charity don't know about it, they might think you're trying to fraud people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeester)
    Do you know anyone who's done this?
    If so did they find it hard to get in contact with them?
    I've raised money for charity myself when I did a skydive and a 150ft abseil but I've never done an ultramarathon event or know anybody who has done one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwwhty)
    I've raised money for charity myself when I did a skydive and a 150ft abseil but I've never done an ultramarathon event or know anybody who has done one.
    I meant do you know anyone who's approached some companies instead of the usual neighbours and family.
    How did you raise the money?

ReputationRep:
    I meant do you know anyone who's approached some companies instead of the usual neighbours and family.
    How did you raise the money?
    I approached some companies/radio stations/football clubs and so forth (bit ambitious I know), when I was raising money for the skydive and abseil but never had any luck. I raised my money simply through friends and family, I set up a 'Just Giving' page so people could donate online too. Advertised it on Facebook to pull in some donations.

When I did the Prince's Trust though, I managed to get a few freebies from companies when we trying to get prizes for a raffle to raise money. There's no secret to it, you just ask them in person or write them a letter/send an email. If you don't ask, you don't get.

Your best bet would be to get it advertised in the local media.

ReputationRep:
    Bump, anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    How much training did you do and how did you find it btw? I'm tempted to do it this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raspberryswirl)
    How much training did you do and how did you find it btw? I'm tempted to do it this year.
    I've always known about it as my parents have done it for years, so as soon as I turned 18 I was there.
    And I didn't do as much training as I would of liked, I did about four 15 mile practises but they were mainly route finding.
    Do you live near Shropshire then?
    It was extremely rewarding thing to do and whilst I did it I voud (spl?) to myself never to do it again, but then... y'know... I just had to beat that time.
    It is well worth the effort.

ReputationRep:
    Try the local news program on the BBC, they'll cover anything. Could get you some media attention.

ReputationRep:
    I've always known about it as my parents have done it for years, so as soon as I turned 18 I was there.
    And I didn't do as much training as I would of liked, I did about four 15 mile practises but they were mainly route finding.
    Do you live near Shropshire then?
    It was extremely rewarding thing to do and whilst I did it I voud (spl?) to myself never to do it again, but then... y'know... I just had to beat that time.
    It is well worth the effort.
    Yes, I am a Shrewsberry! I think I will go for it this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raspberryswirl)
    Yes, I am a Shrewsberry! I think I will go for it this year
    You're at Shrewsbury?
    You don't go to the Sixth Form do you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAKstriked)
    Try the local news program on the BBC, they'll cover anything. Could get you some media attention.
    I've always wanted to be on TV...

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to tell everybody you've done it before to be fair. I do a sponsored half marathon every year and donate the proceeds to Macmillan. People still sponsor me though so i don't think they mind if i've done it before or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom.)
    You don't have to tell everybody you've done it before to be fair. I do a sponsored half marathon every year and donate the proceeds to Macmillan. People still sponsor me though so i don't think they mind if i've done it before or not.
    I feel I'd be misconcieving them though! As personally I would only want to sponser somone who did something incredible, and if they've done it before then it's not so. :/

ReputationRep:
    I feel I'd be misconcieving them though! As personally I would only want to sponser somone who did something incredible, and if they've done it before then it's not so. :/
    If you're really concerned about the fact you've completed it before, then get involved in something on a bigger scale in terms of media coverage and popularity. And primarily get sponsorship from people in your own area.

e.g.

http://www.thebritish10klondon.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    You're at Shrewsbury?
    You don't go to the Sixth Form do you?
    No, i'm 23, I did go to SSFC though .

If you're worried about people not sponsoring you second time around, why not aim to complete it in a super fast time this year and put in loads of training?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.