Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

MSC/MA International Management/Business: KCL/Westminster/LSBU/Met? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone

I'm from Germany and holding a Bachelor degree in Business Administration from a German university, have been working in management consulting for a few years now and want to get a Masters in International Business / International Management / International Business Management (the name differs slightly from school to school, but it's pretty much the same course everywhere) at a university in central London with a start in September 2010.

I cannot stress 'central London' enough; to be honest, living in London is just as important to me as getting the education, I just love this city.

So I've been looking at pretty much all London unis, trying to narrow down the set of schools I will apply to; Kingston, Brunel, Thames Valley, Roehampton and Middlesex are too far out, Uni of East London is, well, in East London, Imperial, LSE, LSB and City are too expensive - university education is free in Germany, I refuse to go into debt for a degree. UCL, Royal Holloway, Queen Mary, SOAS, Goldsmith, Birkbeck, EBS and Regent's don't offer fitting programmes.

This basically leaves me with four choices, to which I all applied to: King's, Westminster, Met and South Bank.

Did I overlook any schools?

From these four, I believe it is clear that King's is by far the best. It will definitely be my first choice.

With regard to the other three... I understand that Westminster would be the 'best' (or the least awful, as some put it) of the bunch. I spoke to a few current students of the business school and they actually quite liked it, stating they'd receive a decent education.
    I also looked at Met and South Bank, talked to students, faculty etc. Both actually made a good impression, despite their abysmal/non-existent rankings. Also, they don't cost the world.

Does anyone here happen to study at the business school of either of those three schools (maybe even in the programmes I named) and can give me their point of view? What are the campi/classes/lecturers/fellow students like?

It appears to me that the business schools are usually much better than the rest of the universities. For example, the business faculty of London Met received a perfect 24 out of 24 score from the QAA, putting it above landmarks like Imperial or LSE. What does everyone think about this?

After graduating I would like to work in London. Will an application with a good degree from Westminster, Met or South Bank just cause a good laugh with employers or do I have a realistic chance to find good employment (I'm not talking top-notch investment banking in the City here)?

Your help is much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Phil

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?!

ReputationRep:
    I think ROyal holloway has International Management too which is highly graded..

ReputationRep:
    Hey Phil,

I know you posted this over a year ago, but I am now in exactly the same situation as you were and hope you could maybe give me some advice. I also hold a German Bachelor degree in Business Administration and would like to study a Master in International Business - ideally in London.

My research left me exactly with the same four universities you had considered:
    King's, Westminster, Met and South Bank.

In the end you chose South Bank, didn't you? What made you chose Southbank and what spoke against the other ones? Are you satisfied with the programme? How do you consider your chances now to find a good employment in London with your degee?

I would really appreciate your help - you know how hard it is to decide. Thank you so much in advance!!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2011
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.