Turn on thread page Beta

Drugs and decriminilisation watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Which drugs should be decriminalised?
    None + alcohol and tobacco should me made illegal
    4.35%
    None, it's fine the way it is now
    17.39%
    Just cannabis
    10.87%
    Cannabis, Ecstasy, LSD, Magic Mushrooms, Ketamine
    21.74%
    All drugs that are currently illegal should be decriminalised
    39.13%
    Any other combination (please specify in thread)
    6.52%

ReputationRep:
    Just interested in what others think of this, leave a comment saying what you voted and why

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure to be honest. I don't think alcohol or tobacco should be made illegal even though they're extremely harmful, because it would just be impossible to enforce. It would be like prohibition again, everything would just go underground. Tobacco might be phased out one day when less and less people smoke but I think that is a long long long way off. Not our lifetime anyway.

As for the other drugs, I can see the benefits of them being legalised if it meant that there was some sort of control and it put organised criminals out of business but then again, it might tempt more people to take drugs so I don't know really. It's a difficult decision.

ReputationRep:
    All drugs should be decriminalised. Look at Portugal: they decriminalised in 2001 (I think!) and they've since had lower levels of drug-related crime, addiction and overdose.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think that making drugs illegal actually damages our society. We live in a free country and if someone wants to take drugs they will take drugs. It seems such a waist of money trying to prevent people from using drugs when it just doesn't work at all. It takes money away from the government and puts it in the hands of drug dealers, the same drug dealers that put glass into cannabis, pesticide in extacy or rat poison into heroin (to increase weight). If drugs were legal they would be safer because of this! Also if drugs were legal kids wouldn't be able to buy them which is obviously how it should be.

I don't get what part of making drugs illegal is actually working?

ReputationRep:
    I agree, we should take a lesson from Holland and see that it's what needs doing. Seems like the wheels are already in motion though, California is apparently having a vote in November on whether or not to decriminalise cannabis

ReputationRep:
    I have to disagree with putting ket up with drugs like LSD, mushrooms, cannabis.
    Ketamine is a horrible drug...

ReputationRep:
    Only 3 drugs which should be decriminalised.
    Weed, Coke and Ecstasy.
    In their pure untampered forms they are all quite harmless when used in moderation.
    Exactly like alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MetalheadA7X)
    Weed, Coke and Ecstasy.
    In their pure untampered forms they are all quite harmless when used in moderation.
    Exactly like alcohol.
    I agree with the weed and the ecstacy. Cocaine though is highly addictive and would lead to problems for thousands of people in the long run i would think!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lookitsdanhunt)
    I agree with the weed and the ecstacy. Cocaine though is highly addictive and would lead to problems for thousands of people in the long run i would think!
    Actually now i look back at that post. I agree with you. I just like it that's all lol.

ReputationRep:
    At the moment, hard drugs (and some soft ones) are illegal. At the moment, for me, getting ahold of any drugs is relatively easy. How then, is this any different to them being legal? The only difference is that instead of the government making money from drug transactions (by taxing sales), instead of having an offical body to ensure that all drugs made are 100% pure and not contaminated, and instead of being able to concentrate on rehabiliation and not criminalisation, we have a black market system, which finances violent crime and terrorism, and we are criminalising millions of responsible users who have commited no crime whatsoever against another person.

ReputationRep:
    All drugs that are currently illegal should be decriminalised. There is no deontological basis for their criminalisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MetalheadA7X)
    Weed, Coke and Ecstasy.
    Exactly like alcohol.
    Coke = :nah:

Weed is okay. :yep:

E's is 50-50.

Anyone that votes LSD is just...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)

E's is 50-50.

I agree with that last point. LSD is evil stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)

How many people have died from an LSD overdose? I think you'll find it's around about the zero mark...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noctilux)
    How many people have died from an LSD overdose? I think you'll find it's around about the zero mark...
    It's not about that.

It's about what it does to your head...

I guess when your organic teacher has a degree in Medicinal Chemistry and worked in drugs industries for a few years and just tells you about that all day and you know more about LSD than ketones, you have to listen to him about the effects of LSD.

:woo:

ReputationRep:
    The effects of LSD are totally and utterly irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    All drugs that are currently illegal should be decriminalised. There is no deontological basis for their criminalisation.
    There's no utilitarian basis either :cool: in fact there's no basis at all. Just bro basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunOfABeach)
    There's no utilitarian basis either in fact there's no basis at all. Just bro basis.
    Though if you accept the utilitarian basis you might accept that in the future a substance may be criminalised. I still think its irrelevant though. Drug control is tantamount to slavery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)

E's is 50-50.

I would never take cocaine but i know enough about the world to know that most illegal cocaine isn't even 50% pure. its filled with random things like talcum powder. Some of these additives can be far more dangerous than the cocaine itself. Do you actually think cocaine being illegal is stopping people from using the drug? If all drugs were legal most of the organized gangs in the world would not be able to function!

I don't think people realize just how much keeping drugs illegal is damaging our society. its making the distance between the upper and lower class even further apart! We should be concentrating on providing people with safer cleaner drugs and better health support. The government has spent the last 40 years trying to get drugs off our streets and yet anyone can still drugs easily no matter where they live. Surly people must notice how much of a failure this is and how much safer things would be if the government had control over the drugs people take.

"Its not the war on drugs it's the war on personal freedom" - Bill Hicks

ReputationRep:
    Weed, MDMA and LSD should clearly be legal. Ket messes your head up too much.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.