Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How to get wavy hair when I have naturally straight hair? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ive always wanted wavy hair, any ideas on how I can get natural looking wavy hair?
    Ive tried plaiting, but my hair is in layers so doesnt always work that well.
    Is there a method I can use with GHDs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by av2606)
    Whilst we are here, any tips on how I can get curly hair? (male)
    Lol eat the crusts of your sandwiches?

...well it made me laugh

what do you mean your hair is in layers? I'd recommend plaiting, it works after couple of days of constant plaiting.
    Or you could use curlers :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Oh no. I did this the other day. I plaited my hair before I went to bed. Took them out, and yes my hair was curly. But it was an AFRO. A BUSH. Maybe that's because I have think hair of something but beware, as it can make you look like you've been hit by lightning...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranbow99)
    Ive always wanted wavy hair, any ideas on how I can get natural looking wavy hair?
    There are curlers, styling wands or rag 'curls' all you can use to go wavy but do you have any genetic help? my aunt and mum had really curly hair when they were younger and i have poker straight but after months of constant pony tails, buns and inbetweens my hair began to naturally wave.

ReputationRep:
    I have virtually straight hair, with a slight kink in it. To get curly, I wash my hair, apply heat defense cream, then blow dry. After that, mess it up slightly more, then hairspray it in position. Looks completely natural.

On the flip side you could get a perm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranbow99)
    I find plaiting and pin curls make my hair frizzy. GHDs will give you more of a curly, as opposed to wavy look, if that's what you're looking for?

ReputationRep:
    I usually tie mine up when its wet/damp && then let it down in the morning. Sometimes end up wiv little waves .. might work for youu? Or do you blow dry your hair? Coz youu could just try scrunching it up as uu dry it.

ReputationRep:
    I saw a pack of hair rags at Claire's. You tie them in your damp hair, then dry and undo and you should get some lovely waves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_bring_you_fire)
    Oh no. I did this the other day. I plaited my hair before I went to bed. Took them out, and yes my hair was curly. But it was an AFRO. A BUSH. Maybe that's because I have think hair of something but beware, as it can make you look like you've been hit by lightning...
    Haha! Mine does exactly the same :o: I tried curling it with straightners as well (oxymoron) but to no avail it's just so damn resistant to all my efforts!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    I saw a pack of hair rags at Claire's. You tie them in your damp hair, then dry and undo and you should get some lovely waves
    Yeh I mentioned them too but they dont work half the time and can damage the hair with long-term use

ReputationRep:
    i generally get my hair wet first, then tie it in a very very tight knot at the very top of my head, and keep it in overnight

ReputationRep:
    Plait your hair tightly and spray it with hairspray to keep it in place before you go to bed. My hair is naturally curly so I sometimes use this technique to control, rather than to increase the waviness/curliness. If you want to stop the frizz I recommend VO5 silky smooth elixir conditioner. My hair is naturally so thick and bushy but the right products allow it to curl nicely without excess volume or frizz.

ReputationRep:
    I can get very natural looking wavy hair using GHDs - you just literally twist the GHDs the way the waves in your hair go - so like twist one way then twist them the other way etc.....it really does work...and it lasts if you put hairspray in too....but it does take a while to get the hang of it so it doesn't look huge! hehe x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shortarse)
    Haha! Mine does exactly the same :o: I tried curling it with straightners as well (oxymoron) but to no avail it's just so damn resistant to all my efforts!
    curlers work well for mine but it takes an hour to do it properly :/

ReputationRep:
    my hairdresser recommends 'scrunching with product'. It works.

ReputationRep:
    You could ask for a digital perm/body wave perm at a salon?

But I understand not so many places do that. And if they do, it's more expensive that a regular perm. That's the permanent option.

You could also buy a perming kit from boots or somewhere and curl it loosely to put some waves into it? Sleep in rollers? etc.

ReputationRep:
    what i do is scrunch my hair as soon as i get out the shower and put curling mousse in it... and dont brush it!!
    it always works, just keep scrunching (Y)

ReputationRep:
    wavy hair =

ReputationRep:
    just use straighteners, and twist them a bit when putting them through your hair.. don't do the scruinchy mousse thing.. it goes all crusty and yuck.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.