Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi - im plannin on repeatin my french AS again in March/May - this will be the second time unfortunately

i really want this A-level - im also still takin the A2 Course alongside the AS again, stressful!!!!! but needs 2 b done

im applying 4 french at uni so i really really need to get this

im considerin gettin a tutor - do u think this would really help??

opinions please and personal experiences with tutors .....

thanks 4 ur advice in advance xxxxx

Lou-Lou

ReputationRep:
    Please don't hate me for saying this, I'm not doing it to be horrible!
    If you need a tutor for AS, how do you think you'll cope with university level French?

ReputationRep:
    I would - I have a biology tutor and it helps loads. Just make sure you "sample" tutors and settle on the best one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lou-Lou)
    Hi - im plannin on repeatin my french AS again in March/May - this will be the second time unfortunately

i really want this A-level - im also still takin the A2 Course alongside the AS again, stressful!!!!! but needs 2 b done

im applying 4 french at uni so i really really need to get this

im considerin gettin a tutor - do u think this would really help??

opinions please and personal experiences with tutors .....

thanks 4 ur advice in advance xxxxx

Lou-Lou
    Hey,

I studied French and German A Levels and found them great fun to study and having a great passion for them, I worked really hard and got the grades I needed. I have always been better at Oral/Spoken lanugages and have always struggled with the grammar aspects. At A-Level, you can scrape by and not worry about grammar too much but at Uni, there's no hiding, you have to be good at every aspect. Without sounding horrible or negative, as others have said, a Modern Language course at Uni isn't for the faint hearted and there's a huge leap from A Level to Degree level.

I've studied French for 2 years at Uni and in my second year I got a tutor to help me with the written aspects I was finding difficult. I also got some help from a French classmate and saw a huge improvement in my written French and after seeking help my marks were, and are, on a par with my previously stronger oral grades. I spent over 3 months living and working in France this summer and learnt so much whilst there. I feel like a real Frenchie, haha!

I'd highly reccommend getting help with aspects you struggle with because with languages, more so than other degrees, there's no room for manouvere and if you struggle with something, it'll hold you back. I feel like after getting help, I'm a good 'all-rounder' in terms of language and don't panic when faced with tricky grammatical problems, as before. It really helps with confidence too!

I found tutors to be really friendly and helpful. It's their job to help so don't feel embarrassed or ashamed and be confident that if you seek extra help, you'll be the best you can and have a head start for your challenging Uni course!

Hope this helps and if you need any more help, please ask! :yep:

Bonne Chance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex285)
    Please don't hate me for saying this, I'm not doing it to be horrible!
    If you need a tutor for AS, how do you think you'll cope with university level French?

Hiya, appreciate ur comment - im predicted an A but freaked in my oral which pulled me down drastically

being honest i am capable of pullin it off but im a bit of an emotional wreck at the minute - failin the french was a terrible shock, it really knocked my confidence and friends think the extra support would help

A2 french is going surprisingly really well atm

Lou-Lou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Girl♥RadioHeart)
    Hey,

I studied French and German A Levels and found them great fun to study and having a great passion for them, I worked really hard and got the grades I needed. I have always been better at Oral/Spoken
    Bonne Chance!

Thanks you've been a great help

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, appreciate ur comment - im predicted an A but freaked in my oral which pulled me down drastically

being honest i am capable of pullin it off but im a bit of an emotional wreck at the minute - failin the french was a terrible shock, it really knocked my confidence and friends think the extra support would help

A2 french is going surprisingly really well atm

Lou-Lou
    Aaah I see. I hate speaking tests, they always make me really nervous.

Really sorry to hear that! :console:

I got a tutor last year for Maths and it really helped me a lot. Confidence-wise, my teacher noticed the difference, and I ended up getting an A. I'd definitely advise getting a tutor :yep:

Btw, yay for languages! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks you've been a great help
    You're welcome. Your school should have the contact details of local tutors or you could check your local newspaper. Some colleges hire out their tutors or you could ask a fellow student/older student or a local French person (if there happens to be one in your area, haha) and I'm sure they'd be happy to help.

Most tutors don't charge over the odds for their services but be sure to "shop around" as it were to find one you are comfortable with and who you think will help you the most!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex285)
    Aaah I see. I hate speaking tests, they always make me really nervous.

Btw, yay for languages! :p:
    I'm weirdly the opposite, I can keep my cool in oral exams but I always get so stressed in written ones! It's because I doubt myself and change the answers when they're written in front of me, but I tend to be relaxed and conversational in orals and whatever I answer just flows out without hesitation!

Everyone's different but we're all in the same, awesome, linguist boat! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Girl♥RadioHeart)
    I'm weirdly the opposite, I can keep my cool in oral exams but I always get so stressed in written ones! It's because I doubt myself and change the answers when they're written in front of me, but I tend to be relaxed and conversational in orals and whatever I answer just flows out without hesitation!

Everyone's different but we're all in the same, awesome, linguist boat! :woo:
    I think it's because in oral exams you can't....stupid as it sounds! :p:....rub it out and start over if you mess up! And I'm really weird with speaking in those kind of situations, my breathing goes weird and I always blush :p:
    I've got two twenty minute speaking tests coming up soon....:facepalm:

Wayhay! :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.