The Student Room Group

Why does school not teach us about money?

Really why?

I) Nothing on how to run a business? setting it up etc.

II) Nothing about all the tax.

III) Nothing about investments.

IV) Nothing about financial management.

V) Nothing about mortgages.

Is there actually anything they teach us about relating to money? When it is surely vital we know about it? Accounting - Economics - Business are these the closest subjects that comes to money.
No wonder we are in the mess we are in now we have no finacial intelligence.

Scroll to see replies

Our school ran a series of classes through our GCSE years about exactly that. And through our A Level years about student finance and how to save money before uni.
It's all about where you go!
I study Business & Economics at A-level and they teach us it. Unless you mean they help you set up an actual business and not just input theory's into you.
Well for that you'd need money anyways.
Reply 3
Casshern1456
I study Business & Economics at A-level and they teach us it. Unless you mean they help you set up an actual business and not just input theory's into you.
Well for that you'd need money anyways.

I do that as well and got full UMS in both exams and they really don't.
Maturity
Really why?

Is there actually anything they teach us about relating to money? When it is surely vital we know about it? Accounting - Economics - Business are these the closest subjects that comes to money.

because it will not help thier position on the league tables but using the time to teach syllabus work will.

all schools care about is gatting good grades from students. they dont care what happens after you leave school.
Reply 5
We have 3 compulsary tutorials that no-one turns up to where we are meant to learn about money. From what I gather, they tell you not to get a credit card and thats about it.
Reply 6
Gemma :)!
Our school ran a series of classes through our GCSE years about exactly that. And through our A Level years about student finance and how to save money before uni.
It's all about where you go!

Exactly what? ... tax? ... financial accounting?
I am not talking about saving money ( well I am) but more what to do with it once I have it, about investing it etc.
Reply 7
They assume kids won't have the capital to start up a company and once they have earned it; they're old enough to work out your points themselves.
Reply 8
I agree with you :smile:

We had a talk come in about credit and debit cards. One talk and I don't remember any of it- it was so long ago :s

I need it again! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Rubgish
We have 3 compulsary tutorials that no-one turns up to where we are meant to learn about money. From what I gather, they tell you not to get a credit card and thats about it.

Exactly. Not interesting. Not enough detail. Then 90% of people wonder where all there earnings have gone at the end of the month.
Maturity
Exactly what? ... tax? ... financial accounting?
I am not talking about saving money ( well I am) but more what to do with it once I have it, about investing it etc.

They taught us about tax, when you got taxed and how much, how to fill tax forms in, how to manage your bills and direct debits. Nothing too detailed, but it was still a help. The saving was only in 6th form, talking about uni & such.
Reply 11
ballerinabetty
because it will not help thier position on the league tables but using the time to teach syllabus work will.

all schools care about is gatting good grades from students. they dont care what happens after you leave school.

I know and that is what is so sad. They are missing the whole point on education.
I agree that school kids should at least be taught about the basic costs of running a house, and definitely taught about income tax. Honestly, the number of people I know in their 20's, working on the BR tax code and therefore taking home £100+ less than they should be every month, and owed thousands in tax for previous years... but blissfully unaware of it and just accepting whatever goes into their bank account. I'm sure the government loves that though - getting away with overtaxing millions of people.
Reply 13
Gemma :)!
They taught us about tax, when you got taxed and how much, how to fill tax forms in, how to manage your bills and direct debits. Nothing too detailed, but it was still a help. The saving was only in 6th form, talking about uni & such.

Do you want to know more?
Reply 14
This is the sort of thing covered in what I knew as PSHE (Personal, Social and Health Education) or something like that, or Tutorial/form time.

Business is too much of an extensive topic to be taught as you seem to want it, which is why it obviously has it's own subject :tongue:

In a lot of cases, just consult your parents, considering they deal with your savings and finance up until a certain point. Mortgages etc. are pretty easy to just look up online imo.
Reply 15
Bhumbauze
I agree that school kids should at least be taught about the basic costs of running a house, and definitely taught about income tax. Honestly, the number of people I know in their 20's, working on the BR tax code and therefore taking home £100+ less than they should be every month, and owed thousands in tax for previous years... but blissfully unaware of it and just accepting whatever goes into their bank account. I'm sure the government loves that though - getting away with overtaxing millions of people.

Then you get the supposedly "uneducated" people who turn out rich, although they maybe not academically intelligent , they are financially intellgient and this is what I want to be taught in school.
It would be the only subject where a kid can't say well how are we going to use that in real life? In a sarcastic manner.
Reply 16
Nymthae
This is the sort of thing covered in what I knew as PSHE (Personal, Social and Health Education) or something like that, or Tutorial/form time.

Business is too much of an extensive topic to be taught as you seem to want it, which is why it obviously has it's own subject :tongue:

In a lot of cases, just consult your parents, considering they deal with your savings and finance up until a certain point. Mortgages etc. are pretty easy to just look up online imo.

But Business as a subject has very very very little to how to manage money. it barely gets taught, no one cares about PSHE and it is usally covered in sexual health all the time and don't use drugs.
Maturity
I know and that is what is so sad. They are missing the whole point on education.

yea if you lived in the 20s and your education was about surviving and being a good house wife.
todays education is about grades and money (money for the school not money education).
join natwest; they do money sense sessions.
Reply 18
ballerinabetty
yea if you lived in the 20s and your education was about surviving and being a good house wife.
todays education is about grades and money (money for the school not money education).
join natwest; they do money sense sessions.

Why should I have to join Natwest ( do I have to pay? ). I want this in my education and curricular a long with English, Maths and Science as at least I will be able to use it in the real world.
Reply 19
Maturity
Really why?

The bits in bold we were taught about briefly in year 7/8 and a lot in years 10 and 11. We did loads on money and uni, money issues about owning a car and calculating how much you'll be paying on x car for a year and what it'll be worth. We did a little bit about investing and starting a business but not a lot.

Latest

Trending

Trending