Turn on thread page Beta

Why does school not teach us about money? watch

ReputationRep:
    The "no-one cares" point is exactly it, the time when this thing does come up, no-one gives a s**t.

The biggest problem with trying to implement this sort of thing is that teenagers don't actually "know the value of money" as it were. Not until later into college do I think it's even worth approaching the subject.

I had to do some waste of time qualification "Preparation for working life" in my high school, and there was a whole chunk on managing money and sorts, seems to vary place to place whether people have covered it or not. It's fair logic to say, don't be reckless with your money and go read the internet all about taxings if you want to know.

ReputationRep:
    Education < learning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    The bits in bold we were taught about briefly in year 7/8 and a lot in years 10 and 11. We did loads on money and uni, money issues about owning a car and calculating how much you'll be paying on x car for a year and what it'll be worth. We did a little bit about investing and starting a business but not a lot.
    Ok then simple question for you. If I was earning 35 K a year would it be better for me to own a £100 k House or a £200 k house for the least tax gains?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nymthae)
    The "no-one cares" point is exactly it, the time when this thing does come up, no-one gives a s**t.

The biggest problem with trying to implement this sort of thing is that teenagers don't actually "know the value of money" as it were. Not until later into college do I think it's even worth approaching the subject.

I had to do some waste of time qualification "Preparation for working life" in my high school, and there was a whole chunk on managing money and sorts, seems to vary place to place whether people have covered it or not. It's fair logic to say, don't be reckless with your money and go read the internet all about taxings if you want to know.
    These days your going to have to know a bit more than that.
    i) Pensions aren't even safe anymore?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maturity)
    Ok then simple question for you. If I was earning 35 K a year would it be better for me to own a £100 k House or a £200 k house for the least tax gains?
    I have no idea. I don't give a ****. I said they taught us, I didn't say I passed with flying colours. It was really boring and complicated and I didn't take most of it in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    I have no idea. I don't give a ****. I said they taught us, I didn't say I passed with flying colours. It was really boring and complicated and I didn't take most of it in.
    Ok chill out.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about this too actually! Its so important, especially now....

ReputationRep:
    what little kid is going to be interested in all that when their primary concern is how to get that pog number 48.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    because it will not help thier position on the league tables but using the time to teach syllabus work will.

all schools care about is gatting good grades from students. they dont care what happens after you leave school.
    What about state-schools? Surely it's not up to them, but up to the state?

A school's league table position won't be affected by teaching P.E. or having Sex Education, but they still seem to have to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    What about state-schools? Surely it's not up to them, but up to the state?

A school's league table position won't be affected by teaching P.E. or having Sex Education, but they still seem to have to do it.
    PE can be taken at GCSE and pregnant teenager dont do well in exams.

schools no matter wat their status are judged on students achievments. otherwise they are a waste of tax payers money.

it may be really sad but the uk is in too much of a mess to worrying about teaching money matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    PE can be taken at GCSE
    At my school P.E wasn't a GCSE option, and we still had to take it for seven years! I'm pretty sure it's a legal requirement, for under 16's at least.

and pregnant teenager dont do well in exams.
    All boys school - not a problem! Again, I think this one's a legal requirement as well...

(Original post by tazarooni89)
    At my school P.E wasn't a GCSE option, and we still had to take it for seven years! I'm pretty sure it's a legal requirement, for under 16's at least.
    Yes PE was compulsory at my school too, two hours a week, and right up to the end (17/18, as it's Scotland). So you could leave completely at 16... but if you stayed on, PE was compulsory. Daft eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maturity)
    Do you want to know more?
    Not at the moment. That was all I needed to know. Other stuff about finance I've just kinda picked up as I went along.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.